Old 26-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Amberbock

Default Cross-country move with plants?

Once I know how many I will leave behind, friends will have first
dibs. After that, I want to give them to local people -- I really
don't want to try to ship them, except as a last resort. My original
offer was thoughtlessly worded, and didn't make that clear.

I had a concern with moving plants when we moved up to Concord, NC from
Tampa Florida.
The "moving company" said I had to get a "certificate" that the plants were
ok to move. After calling around.. I found out that in MY area.. they were
concerned about RED ANTS. They didn't want any in NC. Someone came to look
at the plants and the Potted ones were ok to travel. I was not to dig any
up. Which was ok. But it ended up that I had SO many plants anyway.... I
couldn't take them all.

We were still packing the truck the night before....to leave the next
day.....and we discovered there wasn't room in the moving van or cars to
take all the plants. So in the dead night, i was putting plants on
neighbors front porches. [g] I hated leaving them too! I had to leave my 15
foot potted ficus [inside plant] for the new home-owner. I just tied a
ribbon on it and left it for her a a house warming gift. I dragged my huge
potted fish-tail fern down the block to a good home too. Good thing the pot
had wheels.
Dorothy

Old 26-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:45:08 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Frogleg wrote in
:

I sent some of my favorites with the furniture in the moving van
(commercial) from west to east coast. I was not confident of survival,
but several, well-watered and surrounded (not on top) with cardboard
'cages' made it.

You can FedEx them, but best check on regs and packing advice.

Which plants made it under these conditions, do you remember?

It was a long time ago, but a 4.5' tall Euohorbia trigona, and a small
rosebush are the ones that linger in my mind. I still have descendants
of the trigona. The little rose struggled for several years, putting
out one blossom per season (I'm *not* a rose person) and finally
succumbed to a February thaw and subsequent March blizzard. They wee
in the van for at least a week, I didn't know diddly about plants at
the time, and the move was made in early July. In fact, a moving
co. should have info about packaging and plant importation. In a
perfect world, that is. :-)

Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , dsc darlin' sweet
cheeks @ who posts an email address anymore?.com writes:

Please keep in mind that exotic pests are wreaking havoc in
California. The uncaring nursery moguls who have introduced sudden oak
death to our state is only the latest disaster. There is a very good
reason to regulate plant entry into California to protect its
agriculture and environment, both of which are incredibly diverse
relative to anywhere else in the world.

Sneaking plants into California is a terrorist act.

Well said, dsc
this inspection in not done just to annoy people, but to protect the
agriculture
and special flora of our state.
Emilie

Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Hope Munro Smith
writes:

Oh heavens, I was only joking! I've been going all over my plants
for bugs, I don't see any on the ones I want to take.

Hope I know You were joking, but there are many out there who do just
that. The inspectors are very good at detecting fibbers and I have seen
many of them along side the auto lanes unloading completely everything
that is in the trunk, trailer, motorhome etc.!!! All spread out in the parking
area.

Have you also checked the soil and roots. It is not just "bugs" but soil borne
disease/fungi/ larvae/grubs. What you could possibly do is remove the
plants from the pots and remove all soil so that they are bare root prior
to the inspection area. Why not just call the n umber and ask about that.
It may also be that they would not be interested in indoor orchids; they
may not harbor anything they would be checking for. ASK.

Are you driving a refrigerated truck? Plants are not going to enjoy being
boxed in a stifling hot truck in 100 PLUs degree weather, which is what
we are having or are you moving in winter?
When I returned to Calif I had 50 or more houseplants, which I gave away.
It was just too much bother. And I knew that I would have so many outside
plants that there would be no time to fuss with indoor ones. :^)
Besides we do have great places to buy houseplants here in Calif. !!

Anyways, welcome to your new home.
Emilie
Also in the Central Valley, but way up north........

Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Amberbock"
writes:

We were still packing the truck the night before....to leave the next
day.....and we discovered there wasn't room in the moving van or cars to
take all the plants. So in the dead night, i was putting plants on
neighbors front porches. [g] I hated leaving them too! I had to leave my 15
foot potted ficus [inside plant] for the new home-owner. I just tied a
ribbon on it and left it for her a a house warming gift. I dragged my huge
potted fish-tail fern down the block to a good home too. Good thing the pot
had wheels.
Dorothy

Good story Dorothy. I can relate.
Emilie

Old 26-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Tracey

Besides we do have great places to buy houseplants
here in Calif. !!

And they tended to be cheaper, IIRC. Not sure about
the orchids because I wasn't interested in them when
I lived in CA, but regular houseplants, if you looked
around, were pretty cheap.

Tracey

Old 26-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Tracey

I had to leave my 15 foot potted ficus [inside plant]
for the new home-owner.

Good call. Don't know about yours, but mine would have
to be nursed back to health after being moved a couple
of feet. I can't imagine what moving one that far of
a distance would require in nurturing.

Tracey

Old 26-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Tracey

Good story Dorothy. I can relate.

Oh, me, too. I had over a hundred potted plants when I
left Minnesota to move to Hawaii. People were scared
to come over to my house the last couple of months I
lived there because they were forced to take plants
with them when they left. In the end, a couple of
nice Jehovah's Witness ladies, instead of converting
me, were convinced to take a van load of plants with
them when they left, and, at the very end, one of the
moving men took the last 15 or so that were left.

And, I, too, left the ficus for the new homeowners.

Tracey

Old 27-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Hope Munro Smith

In article ,
(MLEBLANCA) wrote:

In article , Hope Munro
Smith
writes:

[...]

Thanks for the advice! We have narrowed down to about half a dozen
plants, including the orchids, lucky bamboo, pothos, and a bromiliad
variety. The seem hardy and can take the moving van out of direct sun.
I'm going to see if they can be barerooted and packed in wet paper
towels to keep them from drying out totally.