Old 27-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Olushola

Default What Zone?

What is Washington DC zone?

Old 27-07-2003, 03:02 AM
fran

7

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:36:53 -0700, "Olushola"
wrote:

What is Washington DC zone?

Old 27-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Twilight Zone?

Dubaya Zone?

Zone of Mass Destruction?

Olushola wrote in message
What is Washington DC zone?

Old 27-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Olushola

Okay, as you can see I'm new in this area, so maybe I did not ask the
question correctly. Based on what I've been reading in this group, it seems
there is a correlation between zone and the best plants for that region. I
thought every region had a designated zone. I was not successful in finding
an explanation on the WEB. Maybe someone can identify some sites that
discuss this.

Olushola
"Olushola" wrote in message
What is Washington DC zone?

Old 27-07-2003, 07:22 AM
jammer

http://www.growit.com/ZONES/

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:57:16 -0700, "Olushola"
wrote:

Okay, as you can see I'm new in this area, so maybe I did not ask the
question correctly. Based on what I've been reading in this group, it seems
there is a correlation between zone and the best plants for that region. I
thought every region had a designated zone. I was not successful in finding
an explanation on the WEB. Maybe someone can identify some sites that
discuss this.

Olushola
"Olushola" wrote in message
What is Washington DC zone?

Old 27-07-2003, 02:22 PM
GIJane

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

DC looks like 7a. All the hardiness zone tells you is the low temp of the
area. Many plants have a hardiness zone on the label that will read
somelike "Hardy to -10 degrees" or something similar. The label should also
tell you the sun and water requirements. The hardiness zone is just one
part of the puzzle for what plants will do well in your area.

Does this help some?

"Olushola" wrote in message
Okay, as you can see I'm new in this area, so maybe I did not ask the
question correctly. Based on what I've been reading in this group, it

seems
there is a correlation between zone and the best plants for that region. I
thought every region had a designated zone. I was not successful in

finding
an explanation on the WEB. Maybe someone can identify some sites that
discuss this.

Olushola
"Olushola" wrote in message
What is Washington DC zone?

Old 27-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Okay, as you can see I'm new in this area, so maybe I did not ask the
question correctly. Based on what I've been reading in this group, it seems
there is a correlation between zone and the best plants for that region. I
thought every region had a designated zone. I was not successful in finding
an explanation on the WEB. Maybe someone can identify some sites that
discuss this.

USDA hardiness zones are based on the lowest average winter
temperature. Nothing about rainfall, heat, micro-climates, etc. It's
simply a rough guide (and included on many plant descriptions and
labels) to survivability over the winter.

'Sunset' magazine, distributed in and for the western states, has
developed much more detailed zone maps that take more factors into
account. So you will sometimes see 'Sunset zone X' in posts and
references. Their 'Western Garden Book' has long been a standard. Now
they have produced some similar regional manuals for other parts of
the country. See:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/web/Boo...en_home_2.html

The blurb for the Northeastern volume specfically mentions DC. Highly
recommended.
Old 27-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Olushola

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Olushola

Old 28-07-2003, 01:02 AM
marika

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
USDA hardiness zones are based on the lowest average winter
temperature. Nothing about rainfall, heat, micro-climates, etc. It's
simply a rough guide (and included on many plant descriptions and
labels) to survivability over the winter.

'Sunset' magazine, distributed in and for the western states, has
developed much more detailed zone maps that take more factors into
account. So you will sometimes see 'Sunset zone X' in posts and
references. Their 'Western Garden Book' has long been a standard. Now
they have produced some similar regional manuals for other parts of
the country. See:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/web/Boo...en_home_2.html

The blurb for the Northeastern volume specfically mentions DC. Highly
recommended.

that's interesting info. Yes, I plan on a trip to Wal*mart, but God
was I not ready to spend more
money on this type thing, but oh well.

I need a fridge anyway. The fridge will be to store sodas.

mk5000

'in the middle of it I went into a coffee shop&I expanded myself on
good coffee. After a couple of hours I went back and they asked me if
had any wins. I said, "sure sure," so they sent me to attest to being
done."--michael "mike'gomez

}
Old 28-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike Stevenson

DC is just barely zone 7a, and the suburbs are most likely zone 6b. This is
the same basic area I'm in...

"Olushola" wrote in message
What is Washington DC zone?