Old 29-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Allview

Default Tomatoes not ripening

All my tomato plants look strong and healthy. All have lots of green tomatoes
that are getting bigger and bigger. They don't seem to be ripening. Could it
be the cool weather we are having here in Ohio?

Marilyn
Old 29-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Dwight Sipler

Allview wrote:

All my tomato plants look strong and healthy. All have lots of green tomatoes
that are getting bigger and bigger. They don't seem to be ripening. Could it
be the cool weather we are having here in Ohio?

Marilyn

This is always the toughest season of the year: waiting for the tomatoes
to ripen. They will do so on their own time. If the weather isn't
cooperating, what can you do about it anyway?

wait
wait
wait
wait.......
Old 30-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Beecrofter

On toast spread some mayonaise and then set the mayo side down on some
crumbled blue cheese. What sticks to the mayo stays in the sandwich,
add a layer of basil leaves and a layer of tomato slices, salt to
taste and enjoy.
Old 30-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Bill R

Allview wrote:
All my tomato plants look strong and healthy. All have lots of green tomatoes
that are getting bigger and bigger. They don't seem to be ripening. Could it
be the cool weather we are having here in Ohio?

Marilyn

Marilyn,

It depends on a lot of things, the weather being one of
them. Do you know what variety that are? The "early"
tomatoes (early girl) and the "cherry" types have been doing
fine for me while some of the others have not started to
produce yet.

I always grow a lot of different varieties (this year I have
about 18, many of them the smaller "salad" varieties) so
that I have tomatoes from the first week in July to frost.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 30-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Allview

Do you know what variety that are? The "early"
tomatoes (early girl) and the "cherry" types have been doing
fine for me while some of the others have not started to
produce yet.

I didn't plant any Early Girl. Mostly Delicious and some beefsteak types.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Next time read the package. Typically, the large fruited "beef steak" types
are slow to ripen.

Think about it. Wouldn't you expect the larger fruited types to take longer
to get that size?

If you want tomatoes fast, next time get the smaller fruited types or quick
ripening types.

Do your homework next time. Get a book on tomatoes.

Old 31-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Bill R

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
Next time read the package. Typically, the large fruited "beef steak" types
are slow to ripen.

Think about it. Wouldn't you expect the larger fruited types to take longer
to get that size?

If you want tomatoes fast, next time get the smaller fruited types or quick
ripening types.

Do your homework next time. Get a book on tomatoes.

Cereoid,

Why are you nasty to people? People come here for help and
you give them lip. It's not so much what you say, it is the
way you say it.

Try being nicer to "newbies". It will make for a much
better newsgroup.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Dwayne

I second it. If you have some disease and are dying, I am sorry for you,
but that is still no excuse for taking it out on us by acting like an ass in
front of all the good people who come to this newsgroup for help. It is
really too bad, sometimes you can really come up with some worthwhile
information.

Dwayne

Old 31-07-2003, 04:34 AM
Warren

Dwayne wrote:
I second it. If you have some disease and are dying, I am sorry for

you,
but that is still no excuse for taking it out on us by acting like an

ass in
front of all the good people who come to this newsgroup for help. It

is
really too bad, sometimes you can really come up with some worthwhile
information.

I would agree that it was not stated very nicely, but it was worthwhile
information.

Yes, people do take good advice best when it's sugar-coated, and
spoon-feed. Most people will take it pretty well when it's stated
without any emotion. But that doesn't mean that just because it's stated
in an insulting way that it's not worthwhile.

The advice was good. The way it was presented wasn't the best -- but
then again, the fact that as of this writing there have been three
follow-ups to the message means that the message won't be lost in the
shuffle. Now do we want to talk about the content of the message (which
I think was good), or the format (which really isn't on-topic here)?

The message was:

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
Next time read the package. Typically, the large fruited "beef

steak"
types
are slow to ripen.

Think about it. Wouldn't you expect the larger fruited types to take

longer
to get that size?

If you want tomatoes fast, next time get the smaller fruited types

or
quick
ripening types.

Do your homework next time. Get a book on tomatoes.

Makes sense to me, even if it wasn't sugar-coated.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 31-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Maybe you are reading your own emotions into the reply, Billy Bob?

Do you have a problem with people getting directly to the point?

Do you need to see the replies embellished with pointless "flowery"
verbiage?

Old 31-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Bill R

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
Maybe you are reading your own emotions into the reply, Billy Bob?

Do you have a problem with people getting directly to the point?

Do you need to see the replies embellished with pointless "flowery"
verbiage?

Cereoid,

There is no need to be so nasty to me too. I was just
pointing out that some people see your replies as being on
the "curt" side. Take the advice or leave it. Life is too
short to treat people badly.
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

Old 01-08-2003, 03:50 AM
NAearthMOM

SAme thing here.........zone 6b Long Island.........the beefsteaks
don't even have flowers yet......the cherry and grape tomatoes have set fruit
but nothing has ripened.......heck my eggplants haven't done a thing yet
either...........
However, it has been an amazing year for the sweet peas. Started them
from seed back in the winter & they are STILL going like gangbusters.
Love caryn
n doing
fine for me while some of the others have not started to
produce yet.

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 01-08-2003, 03:50 AM
Phisherman

We have been getting ripe cherry tomatoes and maybe a half dozen riped
BetterBoy so far this year. A couple tomatoes have rotted due to
unusual rain. I have three green tomatoes that have fallen off the
vine but they are on an east windowsill to ripen. Wow! The flavor is
intense. Some folks like fried green tomatoes but personally don't
care for it. I'm now in E TN but grew up in Ohio where the tomatoes
have the ideal climate and the best.