Old 05-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Is this an unusual Lily?

Is that supposed to be the British spelling of the word or is it you don't
know how to do a spelling check?

It is very sad that you are so arrogant yet incompetent, Davey Boy!!!!

As usual, you completely missed the point.

Its time for you to go back to your weed garden.

David Hill wrote in message
".....I saw a so-called book of British "wildflowers" and every single

plant
in it was an introduced weed from Europe, Asia or North America. How sad
that is..........."

So this makes you an "Expert" on wild flowers in the UK......"

How sad someone with so much good knowledge is so aragant..

You might find the following of interest
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/species/Plants/p5.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Starlord

David, time to KILLFILE this redneck.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

m...

Old 05-08-2003, 07:32 PM
David Hill

".... Is that supposed to be the British spelling of the word or is it you
don't know how to do a spelling check ....."

And you've never hit a wrong key??????/

Must be so nice to be so perfect.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 09:22 PM
V_coerulea

There you go again Hemerrhoid, losing your usual "cool demeanor" to some
impetuous lust. Cool it back down. George Bush makes enough enemies for
everyone. You don't have to add insult to injury.
Gary Glitter

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
Don't be such an arrogant ass, Daviant.

You should know better than to make stupid wild guesses about plants which
you know absolutely nothing. Using the link I provided would have shown

poor
little you that the plant was a sterile triploid hybrid that is incapable

of
setting seed as are you.

There hasn't been anything genuinely wild growing in Britain for hundreds

of
years. You limies have been destroying your own countryside ever since

your
barbarian ancestors took it over and cut down all the forests and killed

all
the native animals. All you have left is grass, weeds, hedgehogs, mice and
rats. I saw a so-called book of British "wildflowers" and every single

plant
in it was an introduced weed from Europe, Asia or North America. How sad
that is.

David Hill wrote in message
No..Caeroid I don't know the plant, but I never like to see anything dug

up
from the wild especially if there is a chance of it setting seed.
I have seen to many plants destroyed when people try to lift from the

wild.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:54:13 -0700, "Starlord"
wrote:

I don't know you and am glad of it.

The momma's boy of the Cactus thieves. No job no life no meaningful
relationships (which explains the preoccupation with choking the
chicken) and a row house garden to call his own. Pretty pathetic
really!

Old 06-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Starlord

Are you talking about me? Row house? Where? I live in the High Mojave Desert and
my 200+ Iris cover an area far bigger than any row house garden.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
madgardener

seed will take 3-5 years to flowering state when she can purchase the
"surprise" lily herself from any number of reputable companies. They're
also called Naked Ladies. and yes, they're pinkish and seem to rise from
nowhere about this time. I see stands of them in front of older peoples
houses around here. Those and the more rarer ones that are red and of the
same family but called Spider lilies. I adore those too. They grow floppy
masses of leaves that show their relation to the amaryllis in the spring and
then the leaves dissolve and about the time you forget they're there, they
pop up in the heat of summer. (thus the name, Surprise lily and Naked
ladies) Bulbs planted in spring will take two years to settle in. Bulbs dug
from house where Alice saw them will sulk the first year and settle in as
well. I'm sure the owners would share once she gets hold of them. They
multiply pretty well once they get started. madgardener
"David Hill" wrote in message
Lily or not I would let it be, leave it where it is but look for seed on

the
plant

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
madgardener

I'd say go dig them up if they're going to bulldoze the place. They live for
decades. Since you're digging them during the time they flower, don't panic
when they only put out leaves next year and don't flower at the end of
summer. once settled they'll outlast you......G The chicory on the other
hand believe it or not despite being mowed down to the nubbins will come
back and rebloom. We have it in abundance here and it grows right up to the
asphalt and they mowers clip it to the road and three weeks later there they
are. Shorter plants with those incredible sky blue daisy flowers. Don't dig
them up unless you have very moist, loose soil to gently dig them, because
they have one hell of a root that resents being disturbed. The people in
Louisiana and deeper southern area's used it during the Civil war in place
of coffee and the habit has stayed on to this day. Roasted and ground,
chicory root is like coffee I'm told but a bit more bitter. They grow well
from seed which you can purchase almost anywhere. Try Thompson & Morgan and
possibly Burpee in their herb section of seeds offered. I'm sure there are
other places that offers chicory seeds. The Naked ladies are common and you
will not have a problem finding them. With the inflow of nursery catalogs
for the fall pouring in, I bet you will see them in one of them. If I come
across them I will tell you where to look. Save the older ones up because
they'll be larger than any you would be able to buy anyway and it always
feels good to save an older plant from destruction all in the name of
progress.
madgardener
"Alice Gless" wrote in message
You are right; however, I fear that this is destined to be bulldozed soon

as it
is in an area under development. Took my daughter out to see them and

already
they had mowed along the road and the chicory was history. I will try to

find
the property owner and see what is planned to go in there. I notice they

have
some young trees planted and marked close by, and I'm guessing condos or
something. City wants to develop property right across the road for a new

golf
couse.

I'm curious about the seed angle, because I can't imagine anything other

than
seed how these popped up there, but I sure wouldn't want to gamble

propagating
them from seed although I found one article on the net where someone with
infinite patience got 3 seeds from one after trying and trying many others
which had no seeds.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
madgardener

it can be controlled. Did you see the garden that Erica Glasner featured one
time that the lady planted chicory seed in her rich soil and the plant was
awesome? She just pulled out the babies the next year and kept one patch.
Can't beat that intense sky blue! g madgardener
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
Chicory is a very common and invasive weed.

Its best you don't even think about growing it in your garden.

long as she has hands to pull out the babies she'll be fine. I have purple
loosestrife in my own garden and it's not eating the land around me....:P

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
madgardener

"animaux" wrote in message
There are about 4 magnificent flame leaf sumac trees which are going to be

dug
out to put in an extra turn lane. I called the city manager and spoke

with the
local city forester and he said I can dig them in the fall after it

defoliates.
They won't start digging till spring.

I always make sure I ask before digging anything out. I also make sure

it's
done at the proper time, under the proper conditions, and never a plant

which
lives symbiotically with other plants, like certain orchids in the wild.

They
are almost always going to die if dug and moved.

yes, in those cases I agree. But these aren't wild and were planted by
someone decades ago. As for saving flame leaf sumac trees, you have your
work cut out for you as I have the stag horn wild variety across the shared
driveway and it's seeding itself in my yard. I love the stag red ends about
this time of the year, but not at the expense of what little yard up on the
southern part of my ridge I have. The naked ladies won't die if dug up now
despite that they're blooming. they make their leaves in the spring to feed
the bulb. That indicates that the bulbs came from South America or Africa
and acclimated here long ago. Alice can save them and dig them up now and
plant them and only sacrifice the flowering of them by a year or two at
most. I've moved them before from Nashville but lost them this last time
because I didn't remember where they were when we moved in March when we
bought the house and the leaves hadn't broken dormacy. Mine were from the
neighborhood I had grown up in and when I dug them up from a friend's yard,
they were larger than soft balls. When we moved in 1992, I planted them in
White Pine and the second year we lived there, they shot up their pink
"naked ladies" in August about this time. I was thrilled. We stayed another
year and a half before we got this place we have now and in the total
relocation of everything again, I missed those bulbs. When I drove past the
farmhouse we'd rented those 3 1/2 years that the landlord's daughter was
living in now, I saw the flowers along the edge of the yard out front and
almost stopped to ask if I could dig them up, but they're too easy to come
by.
madgardener

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
madgardener

eventually the men get into a ****ing contest. pay no attention. they
usually have good information before they start smacking each other around
and grunting..........madgardener who has been away too long.........
"Alice Gless" wrote in message
Sorry you two got into a flame war over my flower.

Are you sure it isn't Lycoris sprengeri? I found a picture of one which

is very
similar to my flower but the blue is even more pronounced (you will need

scroll down about halfway):

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page62.html

In any case, I am very grateful to all who responded.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
madgardener

I would think that yours is the one with the more pronounced blue on the
petals. Around here it's the pinker one they call "Nekkid ladies" G

Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Jan Flora

In article , Alice Gless wrote:

Sorry you two got into a flame war over my flower.

Are you sure it isn't Lycoris sprengeri? I found a picture of one which

is very
similar to my flower but the blue is even more pronounced (you will need to
scroll down about halfway):

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page62.html

In any case, I am very grateful to all who responded.

[snipped the sniping]

Is the blue in your flower more pronounced or the blue in that photo?
(That's a gorgeous plant and a cool nursery -- thanks for the link --
I just requested a catalog from them. *g*)

Here's a good photo of a Lycoris squamigera (Naked Lady).

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/930593-product.html

Naked ladies grew all over the yard, when I lived in a Victorian in
the Bay Area. I really miss them. The fragrance is wonderful, too.
I'm trying to figure out how to grow them in Zone 3. They're hardy
to Zone 5. Maybe in big pots that go into the garden shed in the winter?
Or tons of mulch? I'll have to get my brother to go dig some bulbs up
out of my old garden and send them up. It's worth a try : )

Jan
Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 PM
NAearthMOM

My folks almost got a severe fine for picking wildflowers in Nevada years ago.

Interesting article David, thanks.
Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 08-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Alice Gless

JIs the blue in your flower more pronounced or the blue in that photo?

The catalog place photo is pretty small, but it appears to have quite a bit more
blue in it. Still I like my flower as it looks a little more robust. My photo is
pretty true colorwise, but it does depend on peoples' monitors.

(That's a gorgeous plant and a cool nursery -- thanks for the link --
I just requested a catalog from them. *g*)

Happy to have found them for you. More temptations :-).

Here's a good photo of a Lycoris squamigera (Naked Lady).

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/930593-product.html

That's a real beautiful specimen(s). Looks pretty multi-flowered but it could be a
cluster of many together. I don't see these growing in my area; all the lilies,
while lovely, are the same old same old sort of thing.

Thank you very much for the White Flower Farm link. Looks like a quality company.

Naked ladies grew all over the yard, when I lived in a Victorian in
the Bay Area. I really miss them. The fragrance is wonderful, too.
I'm trying to figure out how to grow them in Zone 3. They're hardy
to Zone 5. Maybe in big pots that go into the garden shed in the winter?
Or tons of mulch? I'll have to get my brother to go dig some bulbs up
out of my old garden and send them up. It's worth a try : )

Maybe one of the experts here can help you. Maybe you can grow them potted. I did
find a website that was a memorial to a husband and they had moved theirs to
Arizona which is pretty arid and hot in places, but I don't know the exact growing
conditions everywhere there. Her plant is still thriving.

Other than make a trek to the courthouse and get the landowner info and drop them a
couple bucks for copies, I haven't contacted the owner yet, as I don't know what
kind of reception I'll get. I may just forego that part and buy some bulbs. I may
just alert the owner in case they might prize something like that if they don't
know it is there. No phone # or listing in the book, just an address.

Thanks very much for the comment and info.

Jan