Old 05-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Alice Gless

Default Is this an unusual Lily?

Hi,

I'm not a regular on this group, but I found this beautiful wild lily
yesterday and wondered if it was unusual. It is pink with an apricot
throat and the petals are brushed with true blue.

Pic:

http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/Wild_Lily.jpg

I would like to try and find out if the property owners will allow me to
dig the bulbs in the fall or what I should do. If I can buy a lily like
this, I would just let it be.

I have tried to phone some lily growers, but their horticulturist is out
until the end of the week.

Thanks to generous people on these groups who are willing to help.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Not a true lily at all nor is it wild.

Its Lycoris squamigera from Japan. Its a member of the Amaryllis family.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/lyco_squ.cfm

You can easily buy the bulbs in the autumn at any place that sells plants.

A google search will turn up much info about the plant, now that you know
its name.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Alice Gless

Thank you so much for the quick response and identifying the lily.

The picture on that site is more purple or lavendar. They probably vary, but
I want one just like this one which does not appear lavendar or purple. It is
more pink/pinkish lavendar with the true blue.

Can I buy one just like that?

I'll look on google and see what more there is on it.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:13 AM
David Hill

Lily or not I would let it be, leave it where it is but look for seed on the
plant

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Alice Gless

Thank you, David. I found an article on the net which makes it sound pretty
iffy that that particular plant will produce seed.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

You don't know the plant at all, do you David?

Lycoris squamigera is a sterile triploid and can only be propagated from
bulbs.

The bulbs can be divided after flowering.

*****************

I thought it was rather early to see a posting of the flower this year.
So, I went out to the yard and saw the flower scapes are already emerging
from the ground!!!

The fiery red flowers of Lycoris radiata will appear after L.squamigera is
finished blooming.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
David Hill

No..Caeroid I don't know the plant, but I never like to see anything dug up
from the wild especially if there is a chance of it setting seed.
I have seen to many plants destroyed when people try to lift from the wild.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Alice Gless

You are right; however, I fear that this is destined to be bulldozed soon as it
is in an area under development. Took my daughter out to see them and already
they had mowed along the road and the chicory was history. I will try to find
the property owner and see what is planned to go in there. I notice they have
some young trees planted and marked close by, and I'm guessing condos or
something. City wants to develop property right across the road for a new golf
couse.

I'm curious about the seed angle, because I can't imagine anything other than
seed how these popped up there, but I sure wouldn't want to gamble propagating
them from seed although I found one article on the net where someone with
infinite patience got 3 seeds from one after trying and trying many others
which had no seeds.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't be such an arrogant ass, Daviant.

You should know better than to make stupid wild guesses about plants which
you know absolutely nothing. Using the link I provided would have shown poor
little you that the plant was a sterile triploid hybrid that is incapable of
setting seed as are you.

There hasn't been anything genuinely wild growing in Britain for hundreds of
years. You limies have been destroying your own countryside ever since your
barbarian ancestors took it over and cut down all the forests and killed all
the native animals. All you have left is grass, weeds, hedgehogs, mice and
rats. I saw a so-called book of British "wildflowers" and every single plant
in it was an introduced weed from Europe, Asia or North America. How sad
that is.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Chicory is a very common and invasive weed.

Its best you don't even think about growing it in your garden.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:16 AM
animaux

There are about 4 magnificent flame leaf sumac trees which are going to be dug
out to put in an extra turn lane. I called the city manager and spoke with the
local city forester and he said I can dig them in the fall after it defoliates.
They won't start digging till spring.

I always make sure I ask before digging anything out. I also make sure it's
done at the proper time, under the proper conditions, and never a plant which
lives symbiotically with other plants, like certain orchids in the wild. They
are almost always going to die if dug and moved.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Starlord

I don't know you and am glad of it. David happens to be a user on one of my
E-mail lists and he is a good grower too.

As far as you go, I invite you to stand under the launchpad whenever the next
space shuttle is launched on a mission. You'd have an awesome view of the main
engine start up.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

m...

Old 05-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Alice Gless

Sorry you two got into a flame war over my flower.

Are you sure it isn't Lycoris sprengeri? I found a picture of one which is very
similar to my flower but the blue is even more pronounced (you will need to
scroll down about halfway):

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page62.html

In any case, I am very grateful to all who responded.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 AM
David Hill

".....You should know better than to make stupid wild guesses about plants
which you know absolutely nothing.."

".....

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 AM
David Hill

".....I saw a so-called book of British "wildflowers" and every single plant
in it was an introduced weed from Europe, Asia or North America. How sad

So this makes you an "Expert" on wild flowers in the UK......"

How sad someone with so much good knowledge is so aragant..

You might find the following of interest
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/species/Plants/p5.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries