Old 09-08-2003, 02:42 AM
John Smith

Default Need help identifying this plant

Hi all,

I recently bought a plant, but I'm not sure what kind it is. All I know
is it is some type of fern.

Please take a look at my plant he

http://www3.sympatico.ca/pjung/plant

I'm more interested in the following:

- How big will it get? It's about 4 inches tall now.
- Will this survive in an office with lots of flourescent lighting
but no natural sunlight?
- Should I wait until the soil is almost dry before watering?
- Should I be misting this plant often, and if so, how often?

Please respond to this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Charles

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:20:14 -0400, John Smith
wrote:

Hi all,

I recently bought a plant, but I'm not sure what kind it is. All I know
is it is some type of fern.

Please take a look at my plant he

http://www3.sympatico.ca/pjung/plant

I'm more interested in the following:

- How big will it get? It's about 4 inches tall now.
- Will this survive in an office with lots of flourescent lighting
but no natural sunlight?
- Should I wait until the soil is almost dry before watering?
- Should I be misting this plant often, and if so, how often?

Please respond to this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance!

Asparagus fern. not rea;lly a fern, really a kind of asparagus. In
the ground and in a warm place like So. Cal they will get large and be
hard to get rid of.

--

- Charles
-
Old 09-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Your plant is not a fern at all.

Its Asparagus plumosa, a xerophytic flowering plant.

If you have the dwarf form of the species, it will stay small.

If you keep it moist and in shade like a true fern, it will eventually die.

Asparagus need plenty of light and to go dry between waterings to do well.

Do not mist it.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:44:45 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

John Smith wrote
I recently bought a plant, but I'm not sure what kind it is. All I know
is it is some type of fern.

Please take a look at my plant he

http://www3.sympatico.ca/pjung/plant

Your plant is not a fern at all.

Its Asparagus plumosa, a xerophytic flowering plant.

If you have the dwarf form of the species, it will stay small.

If you keep it moist and in shade like a true fern, it will eventually die.

Asparagus need plenty of light and to go dry between waterings to do well.

Do not mist it.

Asparagus fern (sic) is a *desert* plant? Who'd've thunk it? And
what's this about "flowering"?
Old 09-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:54:45 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Asparagus fern (sic) is a *desert* plant? Who'd've thunk it? And
what's this about "flowering"?

I had a very old and very very potbound one (as in the rootball forcing itself
about 2 inches above the top of the pot) that flowered occasionally. It got
little white flowers that looked like lily of the valley and had a strong funky
smell sort of like coconut.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:28:02 -0400, "Jim Shaffer, Jr."
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:54:45 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Asparagus fern (sic) is a *desert* plant? Who'd've thunk it? And
what's this about "flowering"?

I had a very old and very very potbound one (as in the rootball forcing itself
about 2 inches above the top of the pot) that flowered occasionally. It got
little white flowers that looked like lily of the valley and had a strong funky
smell sort of like coconut.

Live and learn. :-) Obviously the flowers aren't why people grow this
fern-looking plant. I've killed a number of them, but some were quite
decorative (no blossoms) before I made mistakes.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

To think Frogger killed many of them even BEFORE he made mistakes!!!!!

Now that he's making mistakes, how many is he killing?

Don't you be putting Hollandaise sauce on your Asparagus plants!!!!

Old 11-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Frogleg

Frogleg wrote

wrote:

[...]

Re-reading, I see I should have said "before I made mistakes and
killed them, they were attractive, flourishing plants upon which I
never observed blossoms." The OPs picture, with teensy, mini-asparagus
looking stem ends makes me wonder if Hollandaise might be in order.
After all, mini-corn, and (lathed) "baby" carrots are quite popular.
"Asparagus Fern -- the new designer veg!"