Old 30-12-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Need Help Identifying a House Plant

Hello, everyone.

I was given a houseplant several months ago, and I have not been able
to identify what it is. I was wondering if someone on this forum could
help?

It appears to be some sort of vine. The vines are reddish-brown in
color, with staggered green leaves. The entire plant is covered in a
white, silky hair. It also occasionally has small pink flowers. It
doesn't seem to require a lot of water or sunlight.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 30-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Cereus-validus...

Sorry, cannot ID your plant based on your detailed description.

You are obviously aware that all plants have the same shaped leaves and
flowers and any further info on them couldn't possible be helpful.

oups.com...

Old 30-12-2004, 08:22 PM

I realize my description of the plant may have missed some important
details. However, it was no less helpful than your sarcastic reply.

I am not a gardener or a botanist, so I do not know what
characteristics of the plant would be most useful in trying to identify
it. However, if you let me know what information you need, I will do my
best to find it for you.

The leaves are almond-shaped with a single point. The plant currently
has no flowers, so I cannot describe them.

Perhaps someone with some maturity and patience would care to help me?

Thank You,

Matt

Old 31-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Hemmaholic

Matt,

Is the foliage rather thick and waxy looking and were the flowers born
singly or in clusters? If so, it could be one of the many Hoya species
grown as house plants. It is one of few that come close to your
description.

Is there anyway you could possibly send an image of you "Mystery Vine"?
Hemmaholic

Old 31-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Hemmaholic

Oops, just re-read your post and missed a crucial bit on description!
Shame on me! So, it is not a Hoya.

Do you recall if the bloom was trumpet shaped or more tubular?

Do the leaves have any scalloping or serration to the edges or are they
completely smooth? Is the foliage thick and succulent or thin and
pliable?

There are very few house plants that will grow and flower in low light,
some may do okay for awhile, but eventually show signs of insufficient
light. Lack of bloom, weak and leggy growth. I have a Streptocarpus
that will tolerate low light for a while and sue to its succulent
nature is not too demanding of water.

Please reply here or contact me via e-mail and we'll see what we can
come up with.

You might also want to do a search at deserttropicals.com and see if
something listed there could be what you have.

Hemmaholic

Old 31-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Cereus-validus...

You didn't give any details at all. Description of the leaf shape and
flowers are not details. You should describe everything you see.You had any
sense, you would know that. So don't get so snotty, numbnutz.

Otherwise, you should post a picture of it.

You probably have something very common like a Tradescantia of some sort.
Maybe Tradescantia sillamontana. Try doing a Google search under that name.

If the plant is growing vine-like, it is getting enough too much water and
not enough light.

oups.com...

Old 03-01-2005, 01:27 PM

I wanted to post a picture of it. Unfortunately, I do not have access
to a camera right now.

Anyway, I did a google search on "Tradescantia sillamontana". I looked
at the pictures, and that is in fact what this plant is.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Matt

Cereus-validus... wrote:
You didn't give any details at all. Description of the leaf shape and

flowers are not details. You should describe everything you see.You

had any
sense, you would know that. So don't get so snotty, numbnutz.

Otherwise, you should post a picture of it.

You probably have something very common like a Tradescantia of some

sort.
Maybe Tradescantia sillamontana. Try doing a Google search under that

name.

If the plant is growing vine-like, it is getting enough too much

water and
not enough light.

oups.com...