Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Barbara Yanus

Default daylilies

Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all. Any one else
have this problem? I don't know if it was because of the wet summer that we
have been having or because some of the daylilies are being shaded out by
other plants that have just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to
more sunny spots?

Thanks
Bebra

NE PA
zone 6b

Old 14-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Travis

Barbara Yanus wrote:
Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all.
Any one else have this problem? I don't know if it was because
of the wet summer that we have been having or because some of
the daylilies are being shaded out by other plants that have
just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to more
sunny spots?

More sun.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 14-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Joseph Meehan

Most need lots of sun for good blooms.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 14-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:01:26 GMT, "Barbara Yanus"
wrote:

Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all. Any one else
have this problem? I don't know if it was because of the wet summer that we
have been having or because some of the daylilies are being shaded out by
other plants that have just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to
more sunny spots?

More sun should help. There is also a tendency for daylilies to sort
of die down in the center (of a clump, not individual plants) as they
expand at the edges. Digging up, dividing and transplanting is
beneficial.

Old 14-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Peppergirl

Hi!
I had the same problem with my daylilies last year, then i remember the
garden centre where i purchased them said to separate them, because they
will spread, and do need plenty of sun.
This year i transplanted some of them, and they are thriving inspite of all
this rainy weather we too, have been having. Hope this helps!
Good-Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
peppergirl
Please feel free to check out my website. Click on below.
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/

Old 15-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Barbara Yanus

Well they are only about 3-4 years old. I thought that was too soon to
seperate them. My most beautiful one, Purple Mt Majesty is very sparce.
It doesn't have many leaves at all. I would be afraid to seperate that one.
But that is on that has been shaded by a Meadow Rue, that has gtown so
BIG...maybe I should just transplant to a sunnier spot?
thanks

Bebra

NE PA
zone 6b

Old 15-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Barbara Yanus

Could be, I have never fertilized them. They are about three or four years
old. Is it too late in the season to fertilize?
thanks

Barbara

NE PA
zone 6b

.com...

Old 15-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Barbara Yanus

The fall is a good time to transplant?
thanks

Bebra

NE PA
zone 6b

Old 15-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:49:11 GMT, "Barbara Yanus"
wrote:

The fall is a good time to transplant?

I haven't a clue. With hard clay soil and a bad back, I've never even
tried. Since they die down in winter (here), it seems logical that
transplanting as the foliage is dying down (but not so gone that you
can't find 'em) would be a good idea. Don't take my word for it. I'm
sure there's lots of expert advice available.

Old 15-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Chris Owens

Barbara Yanus wrote:

Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all. Any one else
have this problem? I don't know if it was because of the wet summer that we
have been having or because some of the daylilies are being shaded out by
other plants that have just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to
more sunny spots?

Thanks
Bebra

Daylilies really do prefer full sun; if yours are shaded, you
should move either them or the shading plants. However, you're
in luck, as now is the appropriate time to transplant them.

Chris Owens

Old 16-08-2003, 01:12 AM
animaux

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:45:18 -0400, Chris Owens wrote:

Barbara Yanus wrote:

Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all. Any one else
have this problem? I don't know if it was because of the wet summer that we
have been having or because some of the daylilies are being shaded out by
other plants that have just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to
more sunny spots?

Thanks
Bebra

Daylilies really do prefer full sun; if yours are shaded, you
should move either them or the shading plants. However, you're
in luck, as now is the appropriate time to transplant them.

Chris Owens

Now is not the appropriate time to transplant anything in Texas. It may be okay
where you live, but not in the south or southwest. Unless death is the goal.
Old 16-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

The fall is a good time to transplant?

I haven't a clue. With hard clay soil and a bad back, I've never even
tried. Since they die down in winter (here), it seems logical that
transplanting as the foliage is dying down (but not so gone that you
can't find 'em) would be a good idea. Don't take my word for it. I'm
sure there's lots of expert advice available.

Update: My Sunset NE Garden book arrived yesterday, and I looked it
up. Divide/transplant daylilies in early spring or late fall. You're
in luck!

Old 17-08-2003, 03:22 PM
animaux

Well, no. I wouldn't transplant them till fall gets here, but YMMV. I lived on
Long Island for 37 years and it was zone 6b. I didn't transplant anything till
at least after Labor Day. At that time, you can amend the soil and add some
fertilizer (I like soft rock phosphate) in the holes where you're moving the
daylilies.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:51:22 GMT, "Barbara Yanus"
wrote:

I am in NE PA, so I guess I am in luck???

Bebra

NE PA
zone 6b

.. .