Old 18-08-2003, 04:42 PM
MissGinger

Default Aphids. ACK!

These little buggers have successfully killed all of my sunflowers
(including the fab moulin rouge ones), and are now attacking my purple
coneflowers. Aside from putting out a hit on them, any quick fixes to kill
them? Anyone know where one would buy ladybugs?

I've tried the diatomaceous powders to no avail, and another "insectigone"
spray, which, if anything, seems to have given them a good laugh at my
expense.

Thanks!

Lori in Montreal, Canada

Old 18-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Pam

MissGinger wrote:

These little buggers have successfully killed all of my sunflowers
(including the fab moulin rouge ones), and are now attacking my purple
coneflowers. Aside from putting out a hit on them, any quick fixes to kill
them? Anyone know where one would buy ladybugs?

I've tried the diatomaceous powders to no avail, and another "insectigone"
spray, which, if anything, seems to have given them a good laugh at my
expense.

Are you sure aphids are the actual culprits for the fatalities? While they can
seriously impede the growth and development of small seedlings, aphids seldom
can be traced to the cause of the demise of an established or fairly mature
plant. And one would have to question the reason why at this late stage of the
season you have an aphid infestation significant enough to cause a problem.
Typically, it is the result of over-fertilizing resulting in excessive
succulent growth combined with a lack of natural predators.

Diatomaceous products will have little effect on sucking insects like aphids.
Best to try and blast them off with a strong spray of water or low toxicity
insecticide like insecticidal soap or Neem oil. Encourage natural predators by
avoiding true chemical pesticides and increasing your biodiversity. And back
off on the fertilizers - it is time to wind down on those now anyway.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-08-2003, 06:12 PM
MissGinger

"Pam" wrote in message
[...]

Hi again

A month ago, it was earwigs causing a huge problem on the sunflowers, but
they're gone. Aphids were all over the flowers themselves, the only part of
the plant sustaining any damage. I tried an insecticidal soap a week ago,
and if anything, it seems to have left spots all over the purple coneflower
petals.

As for fertilizers, I very rarely use them.

Any idea where to buy ladybugs?

Thanks!

Old 19-08-2003, 02:02 AM
jammer

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:09:19 -0400, "MissGinger" wrote:

These little buggers have successfully killed all of my sunflowers
(including the fab moulin rouge ones), and are now attacking my purple
coneflowers. Aside from putting out a hit on them, any quick fixes to kill
them? Anyone know where one would buy ladybugs?

I've tried the diatomaceous powders to no avail, and another "insectigone"
spray, which, if anything, seems to have given them a good laugh at my
expense.

Thanks!

Lori in Montreal, Canada

Strong sprays of water from the hose works wonders.

[IMG] code is On

ACK! too wet ! Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 2 11-04-2015 03:50 AM
Ack! Crazy summer! Reka Orchids 5 21-06-2004 09:06 PM
Caterpillars......ACK! ~ Lori ~ Gardening 1 31-07-2003 12:12 AM
Is my sunflower dead?!? ACK! Cereoid-UR12yo Gardening 1 27-06-2003 05:56 PM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM