Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-08-2003, 04:02 PM
madgardener

Default Ok BeeCrofter, I need some information

This is to BeeCrofter or anyone out there that can DEFFINATLY identify this
insect for me. My best friend called me last night. She lives in Eugene,
Oregon. Long story short, there are these ground dwelling hornet like things
that have dark bodies but NO YELLOW on them and NO STINGERS. When they're
aggitated, they come out of the ground and attack you by BITING you,
repeatedly. And hanging on. She was attacked Wednesday suffered serious
injuries to her foot they swarmed and had a deathly reaction to their bites
which swelled up and looked like giant water blisters. WHAT are these
things??? I looked for an identy of these things and never came close. That
they BITE and don't have stingers threw me off. Can you guide me to a site
where I can locate the bastages? This has me puzzled and intrigued, not to
mention I'd love to give her the true identity of this thing. The locals
call it a ground hornet, but considering they have no stingers and BITE and
continue biting has me really puzzled. Thanks for any help you can give me.
(she's healing after 5 days on the couch, a trip to the hospital, and a
still round of anti-biotics and her foot swelling five times it size and
those huge watery blistery pustules. She also has 4 children to care for so
luckily her husband was able to step in and hold down the fort but I bet he
now has a totally different appreciation for his little mama now and
everything she does in one day........(not to mention she is the bookkeeper
for their two stores, gardens, etc.) Thanks for the help identifying these
bastages......
madgardener