Old 20-08-2003, 04:02 PM
madgardener

Default Ok BeeCrofter, I need some information

This is to BeeCrofter or anyone out there that can DEFFINATLY identify this
insect for me. My best friend called me last night. She lives in Eugene,
Oregon. Long story short, there are these ground dwelling hornet like things
that have dark bodies but NO YELLOW on them and NO STINGERS. When they're
aggitated, they come out of the ground and attack you by BITING you,
repeatedly. And hanging on. She was attacked Wednesday suffered serious
injuries to her foot they swarmed and had a deathly reaction to their bites
which swelled up and looked like giant water blisters. WHAT are these
things??? I looked for an identy of these things and never came close. That
they BITE and don't have stingers threw me off. Can you guide me to a site
where I can locate the bastages? This has me puzzled and intrigued, not to
mention I'd love to give her the true identity of this thing. The locals
call it a ground hornet, but considering they have no stingers and BITE and
continue biting has me really puzzled. Thanks for any help you can give me.
(she's healing after 5 days on the couch, a trip to the hospital, and a
still round of anti-biotics and her foot swelling five times it size and
those huge watery blistery pustules. She also has 4 children to care for so
luckily her husband was able to step in and hold down the fort but I bet he
now has a totally different appreciation for his little mama now and
everything she does in one day........(not to mention she is the bookkeeper
for their two stores, gardens, etc.) Thanks for the help identifying these
bastages......
madgardener

Old 20-08-2003, 05:32 PM
zxcvbob

madgardener wrote:

[...]

What size are they? They sound like a type of ant. If small enough
(unlikely if you're calling them wasps), they sound just like imported
fire ants. They bite, but they also have stingers and they curl up and
sting you after they latch on with their mandibles (jaws).

Best regards,
Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

Old 20-08-2003, 07:02 PM
LeeAnne

has she tried contacting a pest control office, like Orkin or Terminex
something like that? Even if she doesn't need them to exterminate they
should be able to tell her what they are.

"madgardener" wrote in message
This is to BeeCrofter or anyone out there that can DEFFINATLY identify

this
insect for me. My best friend called me last night. She lives in Eugene,
Oregon. Long story short, there are these ground dwelling hornet like

things
that have dark bodies but NO YELLOW on them and NO STINGERS.

:-) yadda yadda yadda

Old 21-08-2003, 12:32 AM
madgardener

fire ants aren't the size of hornets and fly.............these flew up and
out and swarmed her foot adn face and body. the bites they made and chewed
on her got as large as silver dollars.......I haven't seen her or the
hornets because she's in Eugene and I'm in Tennessee

What size are they?

hornet size, big as a bumble bee, dark, no yellow no stinger NO
stinger........she knows what yellow jackets are and these don't have any
yellow on them and live underground.....

Old 21-08-2003, 12:32 AM
madgardener

her husband will clothe up with heavy clothes when they settle down (they're
apparently stirred up still in that corner) and douse them with gasoline and
that'll be that. She has to make sure he doesn't poison her
perennials..........shame, she's very benevolent towards insects, but this
is apparently war and I'm sure there are plenty other places.......

Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 AM
zxcvbob

madgardener wrote:
her husband will clothe up with heavy clothes when they settle down (they're
apparently stirred up still in that corner) and douse them with gasoline and
that'll be that. She has to make sure he doesn't poison her
perennials..........shame, she's very benevolent towards insects, but this
is apparently war and I'm sure there are plenty other places.......

Don't use gasoline. A small amount of insecticide dust or wetable powder
will do a much better job and less damage to the garden. I usually use
methoxyclor, but sevin is good too. The key is using a not-too-fast-acting
powder and getting it in the opening of the nest so some of them will walk
through it. They will track it back in and poison the whole hive. You can
hose it down the next day to avoid poisoning beneficial insects.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 21-08-2003, 04:22 PM
LeeAnne

And please please please tell us what the heck they are if/when you find
out!

LeeAnne
-curious!

"madgardener" wrote in message
.. .
send it to me e-mail

Old 21-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Beecrofter

That's a new one for me, be sure to save some bodies.
There are stingless bees that bite, pull hair, and smear honey as
their defensivde strategy in the tropics. central and south america
Old 21-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Lar

In article MJV0b.2113$634.1780
@fe02.atl2.webusenet.com, says...
send it to me e-mail

I sent the email last night via a different way than my
normal email...let me know if it didn't come through.

--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 26-08-2003, 06:02 AM