Old 23-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Olentangy

Default Watering Ban What to do

My city here in suburban KC has issued a full outdoor watering ban.
Temps have been 95-100 for 2 weeks, and we have had about 1 inch of
rain for the past two months.

I have been watering my lawn, and it was doing OK until Thursday, when
it hit 107. I watered then, and now I cannot water anything for the
forseeable future.

What type of shrubs/trees should I plant if I have to replace them
that would be able to survive this extreme climate, if it persists
year after year? We seem to be getting hotter and dryer in the
summers, and I want to have landscaping that needs minimal watering.
Unfortunately, desert foliage "cacti etc.. will not work here as we
have winters!

What can I do?
Old 24-08-2003, 05:12 AM
J. Lane

You could do a web search on xeriscape gardening, phone your local
agricultural center to find out what native plants live in your area, or
find out if any parks in your area have a xeriscape garden and go visit it
to note the plants and shrubs they use.
--
Jayel
om...

Old 24-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Sed5555

What type of shrubs/trees should I plant if I have to replace them
that would be able to survive this extreme climate, if it persists
year after year?

See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...es/drght20.htm
sed5555
Old 24-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Travis

Olentangy wrote:
My city here in suburban KC has issued a full outdoor watering
ban.
I have been watering my lawn,

If everyone let their lawns go dormant in the summer there would be
plenty of water to keep alive the plants that would die without
supplemental water.

Planting native plants reduces the need for water also.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 26-08-2003, 02:46 AM
dkat

The problem with global warming is that you are getting more extremes in
weather patterns so you just can't count on using "native" plants that once
would have survived in our local climates. It is predicted that there are
going to be a lot of plants and animals becoming extinct because this
climate change is happening much to quickly for anything to adapt and the
man made plants we now have could not survive on their own in any case. I
would think you would have to have plants that easily go in and out of
dormancy during both winter and summer for where you are. Certain
ornamental grasses would do well. Silver leafed plants tend to cope better
with lack of water (sage, lavender, Mediterranean plants, prairie plants,
etc.). You also will have to have plants that can take the extreme cold
spells that you must be having as well. You would think someone would be
considering this issue by now....

Well they are (after doing a search) but it's in England and not here...
Apparently the Bush Administration's policy of "adapting" to global warming
is lacking in telling us how.

"What gardeners can do now

Guy Barter, head of RHS Advisory Services, has the following advice:
a.. plant for the future, using trees, shrubs and hedges that are drought
tolerant
b.. plant windbreaks to protect the garden from stormier weather
c.. prepare soil thoroughly to maximise drainage, adding organic matter,
gravel or grit
d.. set up a water butt, or two, so you have your own natural supply
during warmer weather
e.. create wildlife gardens with ponds and water features to give some
respite to animals in hotter drier summers
f.. don't plant for the long-term in flood areas
g.. be careful if gardening on slopes not to clear too much of the
existing vegetation, as this will create problems with erosion
h.. choose plants carefully - work with your gardening environment, for
example, use drought-tolerant or damp-loving plants suited to the conditions
in your garden "
"
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-eog123002.php
http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/...rost_39578.asp