Old 23-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Peter H

Default Toronto to ban pesticides

Well the wacos at Toronto City Hall have finally done it. Under the
leadership of the ill-informed and incredibly ignorant chair of the board of
health, Mr. Joe Mahevic the city has put together a bylaw that will
effectively ban the use of pesticides on lawns and golf courses within the
city of Toronto.

The " Greenies " on council state that it is time for the citizens of their
fine city to begin exploring alternatives to synthetic pesticides for
controlling weeds and insects on their lawns. Synthetic pesticides such as
common weed spray which have been around for over 50 years now without a
single documented problem concerning humans will be banned from use. Exactly
what " organic " alternatives they see as a solution to the problems wasn't
disclosed.

The city itself instituted it's own form of pesticide restrictions on
city-owned property a few years ago. Back then Jack Layton, the now famous
leader of our NDP party, was just a humble city councilor at the time and
spearheaded the move. Pesticide use by the public works department was
severely curtailed and we were assured by Jack that all would be well.
Everything was fine, of course, for a few years. Now that Jack has moved on
to new challenges we are left with a city with parks and boulevards that are
all but destroyed. The cost to repair the damage will be astronomical.

The incredible irony in it all is that the city of Toronto is currently
dumping pesticides down the storm sewers in an attempt to control the
mosquito population and gain control of the west nile virus. I guess it's ok
for the city to dump larvicide down the sewers and eventually out into Lake
Ontario and eventually into our drinking water, but it's going to be a crime
for me to spray my lawn with a weed spray that will only go on the lawn and
will completely decompose in 14 days leaving nothing behind but a few dead
weeds.

If anyone wonders if what the " greeenies " say is true that "you can keep a
healthy, virtually weed-free lawn without the use of pesticides", you should
take a drive through Toronto. The truth of the matter is that if you simply
fertilize a lawn and don't treat the weeds the weeds will eventually take
over.

Good luck with the new bylaw Toronto. I think you are going to need it.

Peter H

Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 PM

If anyone wonders if what the " greeenies " say is true that "you can keep
a healthy, virtually weed-free lawn without the use of pesticides", you
should take a drive through Toronto. The truth of the matter is that if
you simply fertilize a lawn and don't treat the weeds the weeds will
eventually take over.

I don't know why anybody cares about their lawn being perfect... there are
much bigger things to life than making sure your lawn is the greenest it
can be. Banning pesticides is fine by me... the less poison that goes into
the ground, the better. As for no evidence of harm to humans, well, I
think you have to admin that our environment has tons more chemicals pumped
into it than in the past, hence the reason cancer rate is always on the
rise.
Old 23-05-2003, 03:32 PM

V wrote:
If anyone wonders if what the " greeenies " say is true that "you can
keep a healthy, virtually weed-free lawn without the use of
pesticides", you should take a drive through Toronto. The truth of the
matter is that if you simply fertilize a lawn and don't treat the weeds
the weeds will eventually take over.

I don't know why anybody cares about their lawn being perfect... there
are much bigger things to life than making sure your lawn is the greenest
it can be. Banning pesticides is fine by me... the less poison that goes
into the ground, the better. As for no evidence of harm to humans, well,
I think you have to admin that our environment has tons more chemicals
pumped into it than in the past, hence the reason cancer rate is always
on the rise.

Good luck growing produce without pesticides.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 23-05-2003, 04:08 PM
buckwheat

Peter H wrote:
dinosaur whinging snipped

If anyone wonders if what the " greeenies " say is true that "you can keep a
healthy, virtually weed-free lawn without the use of pesticides", you should
take a drive through Toronto. The truth of the matter is that if you simply
fertilize a lawn and don't treat the weeds the weeds will eventually take
over.

Ahem...horseshit.

Haven't poured any poison on my lawn in 5 years. Two hours attending to
the dandelions each spring, cut it at the maximum height my lawnmower
provides, NEVER water it, not even last summer. No probs here. Looks
like you're going to have to find another business.

Old 23-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Peter H

"buckwheat" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Peter H wrote:
dinosaur whinging snipped

If anyone wonders if what the " greeenies " say is true that "you can

keep a
healthy, virtually weed-free lawn without the use of pesticides", you

should
take a drive through Toronto. The truth of the matter is that if you

simply
fertilize a lawn and don't treat the weeds the weeds will eventually

take
over.

Ahem...horseshit.

Haven't poured any poison on my lawn in 5 years. Two hours attending to
the dandelions each spring, cut it at the maximum height my lawnmower
provides, NEVER water it, not even last summer. No probs here. Looks
like you're going to have to find another business.

You've been very lucky. Eventually the weeds and bugs will find you.

Peter H

Old 23-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Peter H

"buckwheat" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
dinosaur whinging snipped

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...uery=pesticide

Old 23-05-2003, 04:44 PM
jmd

"buckwheat" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Haven't poured any poison on my lawn in 5 years. Two hours attending to
the dandelions each spring, cut it at the maximum height my lawnmower
provides, NEVER water it, not even last summer. No probs here. Looks
like you're going to have to find another business.

===========================
Sod laying would be a good alternate choice. In Ottawa, where they stopped
using herbicides on playing fields, they are having to dig them up and lay
sod or grow new grass fairly often because weeds have taken over.

John Dowell

Old 23-05-2003, 08:56 PM
frugal

LOL, another idustry shill whining they won't be raking in the $ by
poisoning our cities...so sorry the propoganda campaign isn't working
with massive public support to end the sorry practice. Toronto
today...across the country tomorrow!

Old 23-05-2003, 11:45 PM
John Carrick

Good. Do you suppose that we can get them working on the right-wing
crazy pests here?
Old 24-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Great Thundering Nerd

Personally I'm glad they did. I never had any difficulty getting &
keeping my lawn dandelion-free without the use of chemicals. Just pop
them out. Very satisfying too.
And if there are more seeds coming in from your neighbours, consider
making dandelion salad or dandelion wine. Can't do that with weed 'n
feed now, can you?

Old 25-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Peter H

"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
[...]

I guess this is going to be one of those, " You don't know what you've got
'till it's gone " things. In about 5 years when our parks, boulevards and
even our lawns are destroyed perhaps common sense will prevail.

Peter H

Old 25-05-2003, 04:32 PM
P V

Oh boo hoo. Maybe instead in five years people will learn to keep things
tidy without instantly resorting to chemicals... I know I'm trying to
learn. It's not too hard to pop out any dandelions you don't like to see.

Weeds have been around for thousands and thousands of years. So has grass.
Destruction! Really now...

I'm in Oshawa and would support restrictions of the cosmetic application of
chemicals. If I understand Toronto's proposed bylaw, this is what is really
the case. A restriction, not a full ban. You will be able to apply for an
exception if there is an infestation that needs to be taken care of.

Pete V

"Peter H" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

clip

Old 25-05-2003, 11:44 PM
frugal

"Peter H" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
[...]

Don't you suppose in 5 years it will be just like Hudson where it
seems pretty much everyone has embraced the idea and their is no
thought to consider reversing it? In fact one councillor was just
quoted (in the star?) as saying they'd be voted out if they overturned
the ban
Old 26-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Peter H

"frugal" wrote in message
om...
"Peter H" wrote in message

. cable.rogers.com...
"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
[...]

I think in 5 years we will have all lost our lawns. I think in 5 years the
city of Toronto is going to look like New York City. It's going to be ugly.

Peter H

Old 27-05-2003, 05:56 PM

I guess this is going to be one of those, " You don't know what you've got
'till it's gone " things. In about 5 years when our parks, boulevards and
even our lawns are destroyed perhaps common sense will prevail.

Yeah, you know how our grasses (of era's gone by, over millions of years)
would look today if the space aliens wouldn't of come and sprayed them with
chemicals? We really have to thank those aliens for preserving our
greenery. Just think, if they would have missed even 5 years, our grasses
would have been gone.