Old 27-08-2003, 03:12 PM
pelirojaroja

Default Best "Smaller" Riding Mower?

We are looking for a riding mower/lawn tractor for my parents. They have
about a 1/3 - 1/2 acre lot, mostly level and a lot of "flat-out" mowing.
The gas push mower is getting to be too much for them. We are looking into
a rider, and would appreciate any advice as to the correct size/type/brand.
Preferably one that is easy to learn and easy to drive for someone who has
moderate arthritis.

-- Thanks!

-- pelirojaroja
"There is a garden in every childhood,
an enchanted place where colors are brighter,
the air softer, and the morning more fragrant
than ever again."

-- Elizabeth Lawrence

Old 27-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:05:45 -0400, pelirojaroja wrote:
We are looking for a riding mower/lawn tractor for my parents. They have
about a 1/3 - 1/2 acre lot, mostly level and a lot of "flat-out" mowing.
The gas push mower is getting to be too much for them. We are looking into
a rider, and would appreciate any advice as to the correct size/type/brand.
Preferably one that is easy to learn and easy to drive for someone who has

moderate arthritis.

We've a Deere we're pretty pleased with (2 acres, though)... but something
to consider... riding mowers don't have a whole lot of suspension, and
if you've got an arthritic back, it can be pretty rough going. There are
a lot of different brands available, with different types of controls...
hand controls may be difficult for someone with hand/shoulder arthritis,
while foot controls may be difficult for someone with arthritic legs.

Another possibility to consider: switching from a traditional yard to
one that doesn't need mowing or needs mowing
infrequently ... native plants, low covercrops, buffalograss, shrubs, etc.
Old 28-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Kay Lancaster wrote:

[...]

Agree emphatically. Currently restoring 1/2 acre of sububan lawn to
succession woodland. Long term goal is to have all turf reduced to a
meandering, 3 foot wide footpath with a few branches and dead ends.
1/2 acre feels like two when you can't cross it in a straight line.

Try seeding with native wildflowers, at very least. Meadows are far more
dynamic than suburban fairway. Wait six hours, and the landscape completely
changes. From chaos springs life itself. From monotony springs nothing.
Old 28-08-2003, 06:12 PM
pelirojaroja

I agree, too. I'd replace lawn with "woodland" if it were me.
Unfortunately, convincing my 70+-aged parents to tear out most of their lawn
would take an act of God. They'll either have to get a good riding mower or
hire a lawn service, since my siblings and I live away. I just wanted to
give them some good recommendations. My dad would rather do it himself, if
he gets a rider mower.

Old 30-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:07:41 -0400, pelirojaroja wrote:
I agree, too. I'd replace lawn with "woodland" if it were me.
Unfortunately, convincing my 70+-aged parents to tear out most of their lawn
would take an act of God. They'll either have to get a good riding mower or
hire a lawn service, since my siblings and I live away. I just wanted to
give them some good recommendations. My dad would rather do it himself, if

Yet another thought, though I don't know how it would work on their terrain...
how about one of the robotic mowers? My husband's boss, who wants a lawn
but hates mowing (?!?!?) is happy with a Toro iMow
(http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/imow/) -- however, it does only about 5000
sq ft (.11 acres) on a battery... so you'd either have to swap batteries
or have it buzzing around almost every day.

Any chance of persuading them to substitute buffalo grass or similar low-
growing grass for much of the conventional lawn? e.g. EcoLawn, Turtleturf,
etc.? That would cut the mowing down to about once a month.

What's the terrain like, and are your folks sensible about balance and slope?
The previous owners of our house (who bought the Deere) were an elderly
couple who had disconnected all the safety switches on it, and there was
clear evidence they'd been mowing some pretty steep bank on the cross-slope,
all accidents waiting to happen. My mom has a pretty big lawn, and I'm
delighted she chose to hire someone to mow for her when the push mower
got to be too much, as I don't think I'd want to see her mow the back
bank on a riding mower!

Kay Lancaster

Old 31-08-2003, 03:32 AM
-- pelirojaroja

Thank you, Kay. The terrain is quite flat, so I don't there there is
an obvious safety issue. But the lawn is about 1/2 acre, so the robot
thing is probably out. . .

-- pelirojaroja