Old 17-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Billy

Default Need recommendation for riding mower, but needs to be 37" wide

My house is situated on a slope, with a flat section in the back and on one side
of the house. To get to this side lawn, though, requires being able to fit
between two deck posts that are (at most) 37" apart.

The only mowers I have seen that are this narrow are the rear-engine type. This
is fine, as I don't care how long it takes to mow.

But the problem is the slope, and I am wondering if these mowers (generally
15hp) will handle going up and down the slope with me on it. I am 170lb, so I
am not a really big guy, but I am concerned about the mower having enough HP to
pull it, me, AND cut the grass at the same time.

I might also want to add a cart later to pull around bales of pine straw, etc.

See the slope at

http://www.geocities.com/filechest

The steepest part is at the top in front of the house.

Is there a mower that fits these needs?
Old 18-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Tim Fischer

Hi Billy,

I'm undoubtedly missing something, but from the picture, it looks like you
have access to the side yard from the front of the house? I guess I don't
understand why the access under the deck is your only access.

For a yard that size, I'd just get a walk-behind self propelled mower.

-Tim

Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Billy

This is not the side yard I was referring to. This is only a small portion of
the south side yard to show the slope. You are not seeing the rest of this
yard, the front yard, the front on the other side of the driveway, the north
side yard, the level yard behind the house, or the grass that extends down into
the woods.

The side yard I need access to is on the other (north) side of the house. There
is no other access to it except between the deck posts. Or up 6 stairs.

I already have a self propelled. It takes me a good hour to mow it all, and in
the heat of summer it about kills me going up and down that slope.

A riding mower would make things a LOT easier, plus come in handy when I need to
haul pine needles, or move bags of mulch/compost for planting. Really could've
used it a few weeks ago when I moved four 50lb bags of concrete down to the
woods for a satellite dish ground pole.

Old 19-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Jon Endres, PE

If the slope is that bad that it is a problem with a push mower, then a
rider is a bad choice. Anyway, I just sold an older Honda with a 30" deck,
it could barely fit through a 3' space. You are somewhat limited in your
choices, but Honda and Deere make good mowers. You'll have to remove the
chute on the mower deck or get a mulching deck.

You should have no problem towing a small garden cart. I towed a 10 cubic
foot cart loaded with dirt all over my property (on about a 3-5% slope) and
had no problems, and I'm 275 lbs.

Old 19-07-2003, 08:12 AM
TURTLE

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

I would not be worried about a 15 HP snapper or other not going up a good
grade to mown. A 15 HP snapper will drag you , tied by rope laying down , up
the grade , mow the grass , and with a 200 # fellow driving it.

You have the HP but what you should be looking at is the tiltibility or the
tilting over of the mowner when cutting cross ways. If your going to cut
cross ways. You need to look at the mower tilting over when cutting like
this , but if only you have to cut this way. You can tiltr these mowers over
when cutting 90 degrees to a hill.

TURTLE