Old 28-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Faye Tarzwell

Default horse manure

my landlord offered to bring some horse manure so I can use in the flower
beds and the bare spots in the lawn.
Is it ok to use horse manure instead of cow manure? How should I mix it (if
necessary at all) and when should I do it (fall or early spring)?

FayeC
zone 5a

Old 29-08-2003, 03:22 AM
ed

the post form Frank is dead on!,, however "if" the horse is stabled Vs
pastured,,
the stabled horse manure is less likely too to have "bad" weeds,,
Ed's 2c,,, :-)

Old 29-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Phisherman

I've used mushroom compost which most of it is composted horse manure.
When it was delivered on my driveway, it was hot and steamy. I
regretted putting it on my lawn as the following year I got all kinds
of strange weeds, some were a lot of work to remove. I use processed
fertilizers such as Milorganite or pellitized chicken manure which has
no weed seeds and it is easy to apply with a broadcast spreader. Put
your fresh manure in 3 or 4-foot diameter wire bins and allow it to
rot for 6 months, turning it every 2 months.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:59:49 -0400, "Faye Tarzwell"
wrote:

talk about newbie......I have no clue what a hot compost is.....
The horses are stabled (race horses).
If he brings the manure fresh, is there anything I can do in my yard to
"cure" it?

FayC
zone 5a

From: "Faye Tarzwell"

my landlord offered to bring some horse manure so I can use in the flower
beds and the bare spots in the lawn.
Is it ok to use horse manure instead of cow manure? How should I mix it

(if
necessary at all) and when should I do it (fall or early spring)?

FayeC
zone 5a

Horse manure is best hot composted--while it has fertilizer value, Due to

the
horses diet and digestive system the manure may contain some or a lot of

viable
seed which can sprout as weeds in your garden. Hot composting will destroy

most
of the seeds

Old 29-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Callen Molenda

Well, not necessarily. Most stabled horses are also on pasture, just
not 24/7.

We have an *endless* supply of horse manure if anyone wants some. g

Old 29-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Frankhartx

0.bellglobal.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:59:49 -0400

alk about newbie......I have no clue what a hot compost is.....

If he brings the manure fresh, is there anything I can do in my yard to
"cure" it?

FayC
Start a compost pile-start with a layer of manure then a layer of other

stuff--grass clippings vegetable garbage anything organic that is vegetable in
nature-then more manure then more stuff etc The fermentation will make the pile
hot--go to the web and look up composting to learn how to manage your copmpost
heap
Old 29-08-2003, 07:02 PM
omi

"ed" wrote in message
ink.net...
the post form Frank is dead on!,, however "if" the horse is stabled Vs
pastured,,
the stabled horse manure is less likely too to have "bad" weeds,,
Ed's 2c,,, :-)

Might also depend on the quality of the stabled horse's hay. Most of
our local hay is loaded with Bermudagrass seeds that can be pretty
bothersome in a flowerbed but might be okay on lawns. -Olin

Old 04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Chris Owens

Faye Tarzwell wrote:

my landlord offered to bring some horse manure so I can use in the flower
beds and the bare spots in the lawn.
Is it ok to use horse manure instead of cow manure? How should I mix it (if
necessary at all) and when should I do it (fall or early spring)?

Unless this is COMPOSTED manure, I'd say 'don't' . . . horse
manure right out of the critter is full of undigested seeds just
waiting to sprout in your flower beds.

Chris Owens