Old 31-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Dave Gower

Default I want an invasive plant!

I have an area in front of my house that is surrounded by driveway, so any
plant would be confined no matter how invasive it is. Right now it is full
of lilies of the valley, which are certainly invasive but they don't like it
there and get ratty looking by mid-summer.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked
on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply
sloped so not easy to mow.

The area is 20 ft by 10 feet, east facing, partial sun, lots of water off a
porch roof. Zone 5 (Eastern Ontario). Sandy, well drained soil.

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of
thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

Any ideas?

Old 31-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Shell91

A good English Ivy makes a great ground cover. All it needs is the
occaisional trim with a weed whacker. We had one that nearly ate the back
yard.

Shell

Old 31-08-2003, 05:02 AM
zxcvbob

Dave Gower wrote:

I have an area in front of my house that is surrounded by driveway, so any
plant would be confined no matter how invasive it is. Right now it is full
of lilies of the valley, which are certainly invasive but they don't like it
there and get ratty looking by mid-summer.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked
on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply
sloped so not easy to mow.

The area is 20 ft by 10 feet, east facing, partial sun, lots of water off a
porch roof. Zone 5 (Eastern Ontario). Sandy, well drained soil.

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of
thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

Any ideas?

Several come to mind. I wouldn't plant any of them:
bamboo
dandelions
johnson grass
creeping charlie

How about triploid daylilies? The orange kind that spreads by rizhomes.
"Kwanso" is a double variety.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 31-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:14:09 -0400, "Dave Gower"
wrote:

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked
on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply
sloped so not easy to mow.

You didn't say where you live, which would help. Vinca major should
grow where Lily of the Valley does. It is virtually indestructable,
and spreads like Kudzu. The common sort has blue flowers at some
season of the year, and there are pink- and white-flowering varieties.
It is usually recommended as a 'shade' groundcover, but moves happily
into full sun. It is evergreen in zone 7-8 -- don't know about
elsewhere.
Old 31-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Dave Gower

"Jim W" wrote

And if you get one of the cultivars (several hundred or so available) it
will be even more interesting;-)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cultivar?

Old 31-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Pam

Dave Gower wrote:

"Jim W" wrote

And if you get one of the cultivars (several hundred or so available) it
will be even more interesting;-)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cultivar?

Cultivar is a horticultural abbreviation for "cultivated variety". It is a
plant that has been selectively bred for a special feature - unusual or
variegated foliage, bloom color, size or time, dwarf size, etc. They are
typically given a name written in single quotation marks which distinguishes
them from the straight species. For example, Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow
Queen' is a cultivar of oakleaf hydrangea that was selected for the size and
shape of its blossoms, which tend to be larger and more heavily comprised of
sterile florets than the species.

pam - gardengal

Old 31-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Beecrofter

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of
thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

Any ideas?

I grow 14 kinds of temperate bamboo in zone 6
Before I reccomend one I need info on how much dog traffic you are talking.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Applecandy

"Dave Gower" wrote in message ...
I have an area in front of my house that is surrounded by driveway, so any
plant would be confined no matter how invasive it is. Right now it is full
of lilies of the valley, which are certainly invasive but they don't like it
there and get ratty looking by mid-summer.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked
on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply
sloped so not easy to mow.

The area is 20 ft by 10 feet, east facing, partial sun, lots of water off a
porch roof. Zone 5 (Eastern Ontario). Sandy, well drained soil.

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of
thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

Any ideas?

What about mint? There are some lovely varieties, and this is the
first plant that I think of when someone mentions the word "invasive".

Good luck,

A.J.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Phisherman

What is invasive in one place may not be in another. I have been
trying to get pachysandra to grow (acidic, shady. moist conditions)
but finally determined the summer heat is just too intense for it, but
it is invasive in Cleveland, Ohio. My English ivy is growing very
slowly (7 years), yet it grows like a weed in Seattle. To find out
what is invasive, look in your region. Kudzu is definately invasive
in e.TN.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:42 AM
Françoise

What about Johnny Jump-Ups (Viola Tricolor). It flowers all summer. If it=

becomes too high or stops flowering, you can cut it a bit and it restarts=
again.
I think you can seed it in the fall for next year flowers. It does really=
well
in partial shade.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 AM
gregpresley

Bishop's goutweed - aegopodium - attractive foliage all summer, (white and
green variegated) - the roots would hold the soil nicely on your slope, even
though it goes dormant in winter- and it is drought tolerant but can take a
lot of water too. Looks like a nice, refined plant, until you let it loose
near your garden beds or lawn....LOL
"Françoise" wrote in message
What about Johnny Jump-Ups (Viola Tricolor). It flowers all summer. If it
becomes too high or stops flowering, you can cut it a bit and it restarts
again.
I think you can seed it in the fall for next year flowers. It does really
well
in partial shade.

Françoise.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Anton Jopko

try goutweed.
anton

Old 01-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Roy

Kudzu, if it is able to grow in your area. You said your area is
surounded by a driveway etc, oh well forget Kudzu, as it will cover
your driveway, and then work on your house, fence, power poles and
anything else that is in its path, almost overnight. Not much Kudzu
won't cover and take control of.
--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com

Old 02-09-2003, 04:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Dave Gower" wrote in message ...
I have an area in front of my house that is surrounded by driveway, so any
plant would be confined no matter how invasive it is. Right now it is full
of lilies of the valley, which are certainly invasive but they don't like it
there and get ratty looking by mid-summer.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked
on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply
sloped so not easy to mow.

The area is 20 ft by 10 feet, east facing, partial sun, lots of water off a
porch roof. Zone 5 (Eastern Ontario). Sandy, well drained soil.

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of
thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

A ground cover rose such as "Grouse" might be a good choice. It is
aggressive, fast growing, incredibly tough and winter hardy. Grouse
has small, shiny, dark green--pretty much evergreen-- leaflets. It
does not get more than about ten inches high. The flowers are
single-petaled ---i.e. five petals-- light pink fading to white,
scented, and about two inches across. Once established it needs no
special attention. I have had it covering a steep slope in my yard
for years. Neither dogs, cats, deer, or groundhogs seem to bother it.

BTW, it has plenty of small, sharp, and strong thorns.

J. Del Col