Old 02-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

Default I want an invasive plant!

"gregpresley" wrote in message ...
Bishop's goutweed - aegopodium - attractive foliage all summer, (white and
green variegated) - the roots would hold the soil nicely on your slope, even
though it goes dormant in winter- and it is drought tolerant but can take a
lot of water too. Looks like a nice, refined plant, until you let it loose
near your garden beds or lawn....LOL
"Françoise" wrote in message
What about Johnny Jump-Ups (Viola Tricolor). It flowers all summer. If it
becomes too high or stops flowering, you can cut it a bit and it restarts
again.
I think you can seed it in the fall for next year flowers. It does really
well
in partial shade.

Françoise.

Dave Gower wrote:

I have an area in front of my house that is surrounded by driveway, so any
plant would be confined no matter how invasive it is. Right now it is full
of lilies of the valley, which are certainly invasive but they don't like

it
there and get ratty looking by mid-summer.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked
on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply
sloped so not easy to mow.

The area is 20 ft by 10 feet, east facing, partial sun, lots of water off

porch roof. Zone 5 (Eastern Ontario). Sandy, well drained soil.

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of
thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

Any ideas?

Problem is that it will produce seed and soon escape it's confines - I
know this from experience :-( .
Old 03-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Françoise

I have Johnny Jump-ups. True they produce seeds and they appear in spring=
where they should not. After the
first grass cuttings, the do not come back. In the flowerbed, I treat the=
m as a weed and just pull them.
They do not bother me and they are very nice.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:02 PM
J. Del Col

Roy wrote in message . ..
Kudzu, if it is able to grow in your area. You said your area is
surounded by a driveway etc, oh well forget Kudzu, as it will cover
your driveway, and then work on your house, fence, power poles and
anything else that is in its path, almost overnight. Not much Kudzu
won't cover and take control of.

He lives in Canada. Kudzu wouldn't thrive there; he's lucky.

J. Del Col
Old 04-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

I was referring to the "Bishop's goutweed - aegopodium", not Johnny
Jump-ups.
Goutweed spreads underground and unless you get every bit of plant out
you'll have itforever and ever and ever ....
I curse the person who first brought goutweed to the area !

Françoise wrote in message ...
I have Johnny Jump-ups. True they produce seeds and they appear in spring
where they should not. After the
first grass cuttings, the do not come back. In the flowerbed, I treat the
m as a weed and just pull them.
They do not bother me and they are very nice.

Fran oise.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Amberbock

Mint!... Cant get it out. I planted it without knowing it was so invasive
and now....
I'm pulling it out like mad!
Dorothy

Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Susiemw

Take my english ivy. Please, please take it. You'll never have to touch it
again. it will take over that section of your yard.... and possibly
everything else also.

Susan
Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Zemedelec

Mexican tarragon. Handsome plant, delicious in chicken salad among other
places, grows like a weed.

Sword fern. I love fern, but in zone 9B this one is too much of a good thing.

Hardy gloxinia. Striking plant with 2-inch orange tube flowers. More invasive
than mint, if that's possible.
zemedelec
Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Zemedelec

Take my english ivy. Please, please take it. You'll never have to touch it
again. it will take over that section of your yard.... and possibly
everything else also.
BRBR

Certain plants in the South are referred to as "Plant it and run." Not just
kudzu, which I don't have, Japanese climbing fern and Cat's claw, which I do,
but certain ones grow so fast in the heat and humidity that you wonder if
you're going to wake up one night with a tendril around your throat, getting
tighter...tighter...
zemedelec

Old 11-10-2003, 12:12 AM
SAS567

"Dave Gower" wrote in message
[...]

I would suggest Oregano. It's even growing in the gravel by my driveway.
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)
Old 11-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Joe

Dave

I'm thinking thyme might be the way to go.
It depends on how much sun there is in this spot.

Thyme likes sun and well drained soil. Plus it smells rather
nice; has purplish flowers in the Summer. You can snip it back if it
gets leggy. I don't know how this would stand up to dogs, but I know
for sure that cats will go out of their way to avoid walking thru it.

If it's shady, there is periwinkle (vinca minor) ; very nice
bluish flowers in Spring and deep green leaves all Summer.

Have a good one.

Joe
Ontario

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:13:37 +1000, "Peter Jason"
wrote:

Green concrete is the way to go.

m...

Old 11-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Alaininsd

You could try mint or morning glory vine as a groundcover. You could also use
an asparagus fern or boston ivy. That should keep you going...

Alain

Old 11-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Bill Spohn

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and
bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established.

Vinca minor!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Tina Gibson

"Dave Gower" wrote in message
[...]

You can try a mix of seeds to get an eclectic field?
Creeping charlie aka ground ivy aka gill o'r the ground - lovely purple
flowers in spring early summer. Very invasive
mint
clover
oxalis (wood sorrel or variations - the purple ones are nice)
creeping jenny
california poppies or any annual reseeding variety of poppy (you can even
use the poppy seeds you buy for cooking - nice pink flowers).
coriander
wild flowers - any kind.
Some native plants (should be able to find seeds in any waste area side of
the road at this time of year):
pearly everlastings
fireweed
golden rod