Old 09-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Ian

Default Pruning Trees

I have a few trees (maple, ash) that need some branches pruned as they are
either dead or hanging too low.

Need I apply something to the trunk of the tree to cover the cuts after I
have removed the branches, such as shellac?

Thx

Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Pam

Ian wrote:

I have a few trees (maple, ash) that need some branches pruned as they are
either dead or hanging too low.

Need I apply something to the trunk of the tree to cover the cuts after I
have removed the branches, such as shellac?

Thx

If you prune limbs carefully to the branch collar, there is no need to coat
the cut with anything - the tree will scar over and seal the wound on its own.
Painting pruning cuts is no longer considered a sound gardening practice - it
can actually increase problems for the tree and delay natural healing.

pam - gardengal

Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
D Kat

Agreed .... Another change that recently has come out is where exactly to
prune. They used to tell you to prune as close to the trunk as you can and
this is a big NO now. If you look at the branch, you can almost detect what
you might think of as the turtleneck of where the branch meets the trunk (a
slight thickening like a collar). You want to cut near this but such that
you are not damaging the cells of this "collar" so outside of where the
collar is but not so far away that you have wood that is going to die and
rot and form a barrier for the collar to grow over. On a large branch this
collar can be an inch or more thick so you are leaving a nub of sorts off of
the main branch. If you have done it right, it is amazing how quickly it
heals over.

DKat

Old 09-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Ian

Thanks for the info. I was aware that covering the cut was not considered
smart as it was moons ago. However, one of the tree companies said I should
use shellac, so I was wanting of a second opinion, thus my post.

I'll also cut to the collar, or turtleneck.

Thx much.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 PM
John Bachman

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:09:29 GMT, "Ian"
wrote:

Thanks for the info. I was aware that covering the cut was not considered
smart as it was moons ago. However, one of the tree companies said I should
use shellac, so I was wanting of a second opinion, thus my post.

What tree company said to use shellac? That is incredible. The
recommendations to leave pruned areas bare is at least 15 years old!

No competent arborist or even accomplished amateur would tell you to
use shellac on a fresh cut.

JMHO

John

Old 10-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Ian

I don't want to say, it is a huge North American company, I'm sure you have
heard of it. Of course, it was just one of their Arborists, not indicative
of the company's approach, I guess! g

Old 10-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Allview

Thanks for giving me a question for the guys who are going to cut my trees. I
chose a company with a certified arborist, hoping they would know what they are
doing. What I need is to have branches cut that are overhanging the roof.
They are making a mess in the gutters. Maples. I get the estimate on Friday.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Travis

Ian wrote:
I don't want to say, it is a huge North American company, I'm
sure you have heard of it. Of course, it was just one of their
Arborists, not indicative of the company's approach, I guess!

Why not say?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5