Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Mike Rensner

Default Tree Planting

Dear List,

I have recently bought a house that has various young trees planted near the
foundations. This includes rowans and pine trees.

Is there a safe distance for planting such trees? I am willing to cut them
down if they are too close.

thank you,

Mike

Old 22-09-2003, 06:22 PM
David J Bockman

You have to consider their mature size when deciding how close to the
foundation to plant them, not to mention the aesthetics of their arrangement
in the landscape. You don't write which pine trees you have, but as an
example the Eastern White Pine, Pinus strobus, can easily make 60-80' or
more over time. That's a big tree for many residential properties...

Dave

. ..

Old 23-09-2003, 03:03 AM
K, T, E & N

Pine trees also shed needles and will clog your gutters. If the needles
stay on the roof and rot will cause problems with the roof. Pines tend to
be week and if you are in high wind or ice conditions can drop limbs or blow
over on the house. Sorry, I'm not familiar with rowans and their habits.

Kim