Old 23-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Jim Schott

Default Cannas

Here's a question about cannas: in SE Michigan, it's necessary to dig up
the tubers each fall and store them from the winter cold (about 50-60F). In
the spring the tubers are replanted and the cycle repeats itself. My
question is whether skipping a season will render the cannas dead. I
basically ran out of time this spring and didn't plant my cannas. Does
anyone know if they will grow if I plant them next spring? Thanks!

Jim

Old 23-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Jim Schott" wrote in message
Here's a question about cannas: in SE Michigan, it's necessary to dig up
the tubers each fall and store them from the winter cold (about 50-60F).

In
the spring the tubers are replanted and the cycle repeats itself. My
question is whether skipping a season will render the cannas dead. I
basically ran out of time this spring and didn't plant my cannas. Does
anyone know if they will grow if I plant them next spring? Thanks!

There is some chance that they might grow. They tend to dry out in storage
and die. Even if it is very late, I plant mine just to rejuvenate them. I
have a couple of varieties that just started to bloom. Under normal
circumstances they bloom around July 4th. in my SW Ohio garden. At this
point you have few options (unless you have a greenhouse). I would sort
through them and discard any that are obviously dead. I would soak them to
re-hydrate, dry them, and repackage. You might check them every couple of
months and mist them if they seem dry. I find that it takes about 6 week for
them to develop roots and send up new leaves. So, about 6 weeks before the
last frost you can soak them for several hours, pot them, and let them
develop in your basement. They won't need any light until the leaves start
to unfold. After the last frost date just put them outside and then plant
them as you can. By potting them early you will be getting them out of
storage early. It will also let you see which ones are going to grow before
you plant them in a display bed.

Old 23-09-2003, 03:03 AM
SugarChile

How did you store them, and what kind of condition are they in now?

I store mine in damp peat, and by spring they are starting to sprout. If
yours sprouted, but never got in the ground, they may have exhausted
themselves or rotted. On the other hand, if you stored them dry, they may
have dried out too much.

If by some lucky chance when you examine them they seem firm but not
withered, you could try potting up a few and growing them indoors if you
have a very sunny spot for them. Then, come spring, you could divide the
potted ones and replenish your stock. Even if they are in good condition
now, I doubt they would last another winter, so potting up may be your best
bet.

This is all just surmise on my part; perhaps someone else has experience
with this situation. At any rate, good luck, and if they don't make it,
it's just a good reason to buy some cool new varieties next year. Horn
Canna farms has a good selection at reasonable prices:
http://www.cannas.net

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 24-09-2003, 03:42 AM
animaux

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:16:48 -0400, "Jim Schott" opined:

Here's a question about cannas: in SE Michigan, it's necessary to dig up
the tubers each fall and store them from the winter cold (about 50-60F). In
the spring the tubers are replanted and the cycle repeats itself. My
question is whether skipping a season will render the cannas dead. I
basically ran out of time this spring and didn't plant my cannas. Does
anyone know if they will grow if I plant them next spring? Thanks!

Jim

If you scratch them and see green, try it out. Take a few and soak them in warm
water to see if they swell, if they do, they are okay. If they are not, contact
me in spring and I will send you some cannas. I have 'Pretoria' 'Tropicana'
'Striped Beauty' and yellow with plain green foliage.

I always have some to give away.

Victoria
Old 24-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Starlord

http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna/

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop

[...]