Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

Default Plant identification, wild

hi all,

I live in Maryland, Z7. My husband and I saw a shrub, wild, in our back
yard that is lovely. We collected some seeds and then started seeing them
everyhwere. I do not have a digital camera so I can only describe them to
the best of my ability.

They are yellow with orange flecks, shaped a bit like standard orchids bred
with pitcher plants at a minute size. They are approximately .5" in length
and have a tail. The shrub grows in great round clumps, about 4 feet high
and 4 feet in width. The most interesting thing about them is that the
fruit they produce is about .5" in lenght adn are colored a bit ike a
watermelon without the light yellow, and they "explode" when touched. The
pod is striated, and the individual parts peel back like a banana but curl
under. The seeds are small and brown.

They grow wild in the northern/central part of maryland.

Anyone have a clue as to what they are?

Thanks in advance,
Trai

--
remove Flynn to email me. To send attachments, use trai UNDERSCORE rathsack
AT yahoo DOT com...thanks.