Old 03-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

Default Plant identification, wild

hi all,

I live in Maryland, Z7. My husband and I saw a shrub, wild, in our back
yard that is lovely. We collected some seeds and then started seeing them
everyhwere. I do not have a digital camera so I can only describe them to
the best of my ability.

They are yellow with orange flecks, shaped a bit like standard orchids bred
with pitcher plants at a minute size. They are approximately .5" in length
and have a tail. The shrub grows in great round clumps, about 4 feet high
and 4 feet in width. The most interesting thing about them is that the
fruit they produce is about .5" in lenght adn are colored a bit ike a
watermelon without the light yellow, and they "explode" when touched. The
pod is striated, and the individual parts peel back like a banana but curl
under. The seeds are small and brown.

They grow wild in the northern/central part of maryland.

Anyone have a clue as to what they are?

Thanks in advance,
Trai

--
remove Flynn to email me. To send attachments, use trai UNDERSCORE rathsack
AT yahoo DOT com...thanks.

Old 03-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Charles

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:00:54 -0400, "Matt & Trai Rathsack"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.botany.com/impatiens.html

sound like these?

--

- Charles
-
Old 03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
BattMeals

Matt & Trai Rathsack wrote:

[...]

Spotted touch-me-not?

http://mattandodile.com/pinebush/19A...uch_me_not.jpg
This picture was taken in Albany, NY.

-matt

Old 03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Matt & Trai Rathsack"
writes:

They are yellow with orange flecks, shaped a bit like standard orchids bred
with pitcher plants at a minute size. They are approximately .5" in length
and have a tail. The shrub grows in great round clumps, about 4 feet high
and 4 feet in width. The most interesting thing about them is that the
fruit they produce is about .5" in lenght adn are colored a bit ike a
watermelon without the light yellow, and they "explode" when touched. The
pod is striated, and the individual parts peel back like a banana but curl
under. The seeds are small and brown.

Jewelweed or Touch me not
Impatiens capensis
Old 03-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Tina Gibson

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

writes:

They are yellow with orange flecks, shaped a bit like standard orchids

bred
with pitcher plants at a minute size. They are approximately .5" in

length
and have a tail. The shrub grows in great round clumps, about 4 feet

high
and 4 feet in width. The most interesting thing about them is that the
fruit they produce is about .5" in lenght adn are colored a bit ike a
watermelon without the light yellow, and they "explode" when touched.

The
pod is striated, and the individual parts peel back like a banana but

curl
under. The seeds are small and brown.

Jewelweed or Touch me not
Impatiens capensis

Yep. If you have stinging nettle, rubbing a leaf from jewelweed on the

sting
will make it stop stinging. The plants usually grow near each other.

Jan

Also found near poison ivy and is an antidote for the itch when crushed and
rubbed.
Warning about these plants - they are highly invasive and you will likely
curse the day you brought them into your yard!!! Take it from one who also
thought they were very pretty flowers once. Now every spring I am still
pulling out thousands of little jewelweed seedlings!! A few always manage to
go unnoticed growing among other plants. And they will grow anywhere even in
the darkest spots in your garden. Tina

Old 03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

wrote:

[...]

THOSE ARE THE ONES! Thanks!! We love them, but I think they are weeds. or
weedy...at any rate they are very pretty aren't they?

trai

Old 03-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

"Tina Gibson" wrote in message

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

writes:

[...]

Hm, well, I'll have to note that in my garden book. I have them growing
wild in the back, next to the park our property runs adjacent to.
interesting. What is the chemicla in the leaf that breaks down the poisons?

trai

Old 03-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Tina Gibson

"Matt & Trai Rathsack" wrote in message

"Tina Gibson" wrote in message

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

writes:

[...]

Honestly don't know, probably have read it but never really payed
attention - I may just google it though. There is lots on the net about it.
Apparently work good on insect bites as well - wasps, bees, other 'hurting
kind'. But just about any crushed plant will do as well. I'm guessing some
kind of flavenoid..

Old 05-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

(snip of increasingly long previous post...)

Hm, well, I'll have to note that in my garden book. I have them growing
wild in the back, next to the park our property runs adjacent to.
interesting. What is the chemicla in the leaf that breaks down the

poisons?

trai

Honestly don't know, probably have read it but never really payed
attention - I may just google it though. There is lots on the net about

it.
Apparently work good on insect bites as well - wasps, bees, other 'hurting
kind'. But just about any crushed plant will do as well. I'm guessing some
kind of flavenoid..

Well, maybe I'll email a botonist on that one. Very interesting. I might
just have to go out and get stung to find out if it works...hopefully I
won't develop a deadly allergy suddenly to bees....but it would be
interesting to find out if different plants do indeed stop the sting. Do
the crushed leaves need to be wetted with anything?

trai

Old 05-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Tina Gibson

[...]

not if they are crushed fresh, plenty of water in the leaves for wetting.
There are indeed many wild plants that contain chemicals that help us
heal......and take away pain, willow bark is the prime example..
Tina

Old 05-10-2003, 07:32 PM
David Hill

"........... Apparently work good on insect bites as well - wasps, bees,
other 'hurting kind'. But just about any crushed plant will do as well. I'm
guessing some
kind of flavenoid........."

Well in the UK it's Dock leaves for nettle stings, also you can use Sorrel,
Which is actually better as it has more sap in the leaves.
The sap from the leaves contain an anti histamine so act on the sting
chemicaly, also the coolness of the crushed leaf is also soothing.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries