Old 29-10-2003, 02:12 PM
WARRENRN1

Default shredded tree leaves

it is that time of year again..... and since i live at the end of a
cul-de-sac....i get covered with everyone's leaves.....
since i like to veggie garden.... what is the best way to store the shredded
tree leaves that i get from my yard.... the garden is too wet to dig them
in.... can i rototil them in next spring ?? should i be adding anything to
them (ie: fertilizer) or just let them winter over ??
Old 29-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Romy Beeck

I put mine in big plastic bags and leting them rot all winter. In spring i
will dump them on my garden and till them in.

Old 30-10-2003, 01:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Plastic bags would work. Also, wooden pallets make nice leaf mold bins.
You'll have some great humus and and organic matter come next April.
Can't beat leaf mold.

JK

WARRENRN1 wrote:
=

it is that time of year again..... and since i live at the end of a
cul-de-sac....i get covered with everyone's leaves.....
since i like to veggie garden.... what is the best way to store the sh=

redded
tree leaves that i get from my yard.... the garden is too wet to dig t=

hem
in.... can i rototil them in next spring ?? should i be adding anythi=

ng to
them (ie: fertilizer) or just let them winter over ??

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 30-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Vox Humana

"WARRENRN1" wrote in message
it is that time of year again..... and since i live at the end of a
cul-de-sac....i get covered with everyone's leaves.....
since i like to veggie garden.... what is the best way to store the

shredded
tree leaves that i get from my yard.... the garden is too wet to dig them
in.... can i rototil them in next spring ?? should i be adding anything

them (ie: fertilizer) or just let them winter over ??

You can simply gather them into a pile and leave them all winter. If you
want to contain them, a simple way is to get a length of cheap wire fence
material and make a cylinder by tying the ends together. Put the leaves in
the wire bin. Next year you can rototil them into the garden. They may
need more time than the winter to decompose. I generally alternate piles,
tilling in the older pile.

Old 30-10-2003, 04:42 PM
simy1

(WARRENRN1) wrote in message ...
it is that time of year again..... and since i live at the end of a
cul-de-sac....i get covered with everyone's leaves.....
since i like to veggie garden.... what is the best way to store the shredded
tree leaves that i get from my yard.... the garden is too wet to dig them
in.... can i rototil them in next spring ?? should i be adding anything to
them (ie: fertilizer) or just let them winter over ??

They are the best possible amendment for your clay soil (the one that
will improve texture the most). They will compost a lot over winter if
you treat them right, even if you are in a cold winter area. The
freezing and thawing helps break them. And here is how you treat them
right:

1) shred them, if at all possible.
2) make sure they are wet throughout. That may involve turning them in
the bin or pouring some water into the bag and shaking, depending on
your mode of storage. In my pile (Michigan) top leaves are usually
rotten by May, but underneath I will find strata of leaves dry and
virtually intact. If you do not have a rodent problem, like I do, it
is easiest to put them down on the vegetable beds, and then next May
plant through them.
3) give them a bit of green stuff and coarsely mix. I have used grass
clippings, end-of-season vegetable plants (shredded), urea and manure.
No big difference, except that grass clippings may have seeds (though
not if you mow in late september, and them mow again in late october
and use those clipping), and discarded vegetables usually result in
dozens of small tomato plants the next year.

If their composting is behind, put them under large plants (like
tomatoes). They will be done composting by the end of next summer.
Leaf mold makes the best greens in my experience, lettuce or arugula
or chard or collard.

Old 31-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Location: London

I agree shredding is the key. I have a bag of wet unshredded leaves and that havent even started to changed colour.

However my other bag which I shreded with garden shear (unfortunatly dont have a shredder) and wetted has already started to turn into a brown/blackish color after only 3 weeks.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Paul Below

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:37:52 GMT, dommy
wrote:

However my other bag which I shreded with garden shear (unfortunatly
dont have a shredder) and wetted has already started to turn into a
brown/blackish color after only 3 weeks.

I run over them with the lawn mower to shred them.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Ah....leaves slowly starting to fall. Time get out the 2 chipper
shredders, crank them up, don respirator mask and grind up 100 sacks of
leaves for mo' leaf mold.

J. Kolenovsky

=

Old 02-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Allview

There's a chipper shredder in my shed but I can't handle it, so I'm running the
mower which shreds nicely. I empty the bag around every plant I have for
mulch. There's a little grass getting mowed and green with the brown is good.
When everything is mulched, I will dump into a big wire bin where I contribute
my kitchen garbage. Someday I'm going to have some real compost bins, but for
now I just have these big wire circles. I cut a little door at the bottom and
shovel good stuff out when I need it. Even if it isn't nice crumbly compost
yet it will do.

Marilyn

Marilyn
Old 03-11-2003, 02:42 AM
GrampysGurl

I left mine in the beds last fall, and top dressed with straw this spring...
both have almost broken down into the soil just in time to start all over
again.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 05-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Lee

wrote:

However my other bag which I shreded with garden shear (unfortunatly
dont have a shredder) and wetted has already started to turn into a
brown/blackish color after only 3 weeks.

I run over them with the lawn mower to shred them.

that's how we do ours and leave some on the yard, especially if there
are grass seeds in them, then the next bunch without the seed, we put
on the garden. last fall i did fill one large black plastic bag with
the shreded leaves and some soil and wet it down some as i filled it
with the shredded leaves and green trimmings from the garden and tied
it closed and once a week about i turned it over a few times to areate
it and this summer i had some prety good looking soil! i had an area
that i did not plan on planting for a while and poured it on there to
finish decaying. looking good.
lee h