Old 15-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Mceezee

Default "Christmas cactus" blooming

My "Christmas cactus" as they are called is blooming lovely. I had it out all
summer and brought it in when the weather got cold. This is the best it has
bloomed in the several years I have had it.

Does this have to do with keeping it outside during the summer, or is just
getting stronger as it gets older?
Old 15-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Purple Linny LeCompte

My "Christmas cactus" as they are called is blooming lovely. I had it
out all
summer and brought it in when the weather got cold. This is the best it
has
bloomed in the several years I have had it.

snip

Mine's still outside. It's still in the 80's around these parts. I don't
think I'll see a bloom this year as it was a cutting taken from another
plant just a few months ago. It's doing well and look forward to seeing the
bloom.
--
Lynda

Old 15-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Tom Randy

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:24 -0500, Mceezee wrote:

My "Christmas cactus" as they are called is blooming lovely. I had it
out all summer and brought it in when the weather got cold. This is the
best it has bloomed in the several years I have had it.

Does this have to do with keeping it outside during the summer, or is
just getting stronger as it gets older?

The cooler weather of fall, coupled with longer nights helps to
induce flower buds. For me the cooler temps seem to be the key.
Old 15-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Wishy13764

For me the cooler temps seem to be the key.

Definitely. I've been doing this for years...leave it out till frost, and then
bring it in. The warm inside temperature forces the buds to bloom quicker, the
short day period helps too.