Old 04-03-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default "Christmas (maybe crab) Cactus" question

I have a "Christmas Cactus", Schlumbergera truncata(?), that has never
really bloomed much over the years: some years one or two blossoms in Feb.,
some years none.

This year it bloomed from the second week of December through the first week
of January, with 13 blossoms! Now, in March its blooming again with at
least 8 blossoms.

It's in a slightly different location, but not radically. Any one have a
clue what is going on?

Is it that sensitive and I have found its sweet spot?

Is this its last hurrah and its going to expire? We've had it for almost
30 years.

Thanks in advance,

Marco
________________________
Marc Reinig
UCO/Lick Observatory
Laboratory for Adaptive Optics

Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:59:17 -0800, "Marc Reinig"
wrote:

I have a "Christmas Cactus", Schlumbergera truncata(?), that has never
really bloomed much over the years: some years one or two blossoms in Feb.,
some years none.

They can be temperamental. I have several varieties, each having its
own rest period. They like light feedings of organic fertilizers
(fish emulsion, manure tea, etc), cooler temperatures, and fast
drainage. Be careful about overwatering. If you have not repotted one
in two years it may be time for some fresh potting soil.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On Mar 3, 9:59*pm, "Marc Reinig" wrote:
I have a "Christmas Cactus", Schlumbergera truncata(?), that has never
really bloomed much over the years: *some years one or two blossoms in Feb.,
some years none.

This year it bloomed from the second week of December through the first week
of January, with 13 blossoms! *Now, in March its blooming again with at
least 8 blossoms.

It's in a slightly different location, but not radically. *Any one have a
clue what is going on?

Is it that sensitive and I have found its sweet spot?

*Is this its last hurrah and its going to expire? *We've had it for almost
30 years.

Thanks in advance,

Marco
Marc Reinig
UCO/Lick Observatory
Laboratory for Adaptive Optics

they're also sensitive to amount of light (from what i hear, i haven't
got any more control over mine than you); too much light makes them
think it's summer and not bloom, even if they've already started.