Old 21-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Suzie-Q

Default Another English Ivy Question

I have english ivy growing up a dead tree stump and on
the ground around the stump. It's been growing so long
that I now have two-foot-long branches (is that what you
call them) growing out from the tree stump, attached to
nothing. I'd like to "harvest" these branches, root them
somehow, and plant them in the areas that are bare. Can
anyone here give me some advice on the best way to do
that?

I know I can get root growth simply by cutting pieces off
and putting them in water. Is this the best way?

How long should the roots be before I replant? Should I
replant in the ground or in a pot first?

When should I do all of this? Now? Cut and root now and
replant ASAP? Cut and root now and replant in the spring?
Or just wait and do it all in the spring?

I'm in central Texas, west of Waco.

Thanks in advance for your help,

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old 21-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
I have english ivy growing up a dead tree stump and on
the ground around the stump. It's been growing so long
that I now have two-foot-long branches (is that what you
call them) growing out from the tree stump, attached to
nothing. I'd like to "harvest" these branches, root them
somehow, and plant them in the areas that are bare. Can
anyone here give me some advice on the best way to do
that?

I know I can get root growth simply by cutting pieces off
and putting them in water. Is this the best way?

How long should the roots be before I replant? Should I
replant in the ground or in a pot first?

When should I do all of this? Now? Cut and root now and
replant ASAP? Cut and root now and replant in the spring?
Or just wait and do it all in the spring?

I'm in central Texas, west of Waco.

Thanks in advance for your help,

I have successfully propagated English ivy simply buy cutting off pieces and
sticking them in the ground. I keep them moist for a couple of weeks. II
would use some of the end pieces with new, small diameter stems, not the
very old, think stuff. it's nearly foolproof.

Old 21-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Shell91

The English Ivy that ate my back yard and half the neighbor's yard started
as a little brown stick my dad thought was dead and threw in a very shady
corner in the back yard. Unfortunately right by the power line pole. It is
a nice shady and damp area. English Ivy will grow anywhere, usually where
you don't want it in my experience, even when you think it's dead.

Shell

Old 21-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
The English Ivy that ate my back yard and half the neighbor's yard started
as a little brown stick my dad thought was dead and threw in a very shady
corner in the back yard. Unfortunately right by the power line pole. It

is
a nice shady and damp area. English Ivy will grow anywhere, usually where
you don't want it in my experience, even when you think it's dead.

Shell

I had a small blue spruce topiary growing in a large pot with some English
ivy at the base. The spruce needed to be transplanted because it outgrew
the container. I removed all the ivy I could, hacking it down to the roots.
Six months later, I found it growing in the area where I transplanted the
spruce. I had been checking all summer to make sure I got it all. It's
very hearty stuff!!!

Old 22-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Shell91

It sure is. What we threw away was a brown twig with no leaves and about 2
inches long. We had to hire some people three times to get it cut back and
there are still patches of the ivy all along the fence line just waiting for
the new fence to be put up

Shell

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 01-12-2002 06:25 AM