Old 04-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Rbeezer

Default Ugli tomato

When I lived in PA, the grocery store carried Ugli tomatoes. They were
absolutely delicious. I have since moved out of state and I have only found one
store that carries this tomatoe, and it's an hour away. I'd like to grow this
tomatoe for myself come summer. Anybody know where I can purchase the seeds for
it? I've done the google thing and I can't find a source.

Thanks In Advance

AEB:http://pub208.ezboard.com/baeb
Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Rbeezer

Thank you but they don't have it.

Try www.johnnyseeds.com

They have heirloom seeds and I seem to recall this one being heirloom.

AEB:http://pub208.ezboard.com/baeb
Old 06-12-2003, 03:42 PM
FarmerDill

I think the "Ugli Tomato" is a marketing ploy much like the "grape" tomato,
which started with the cultivar "Santa". I only find reference to it at
specialty grocers, If you find one, try to find out where it was grown, and the
name of the packer, We may be able to backtrack from there and find the
cultivar name. Many of the fancy tomatoes are imported from countries where
growers are quite secretive so it may remain a mystery for awhile.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:03 PM
David Hill

I think the "Ugli Tomato" is a marketing ploy much like the "grape" tomato,
which started with the cultivar "Santa". I only find reference to it at
specialty grocers, If you find one, try to find out where it was grown, and
the name of the packer, We may be able to backtrack from there and find the
cultivar name. Many of the fancy tomatoes are imported from countries where
growers are quite secretive so it may remain a mystery for awhile....."

I think you are being unfair to the growers.
I know of NO commercial grower who saves his own seed, but there are many
commercial varieties not on sale to the "Amateur market". See
Tomatoes in this link
http://www.provegseeds.com/vegcat/mainvegcat2003.htm

You might find some Packer who has decided to put his own "Brand" on a
product.

Over here in the UK there is a move to describe small/under size apples as
"child size". In the past when apples were sold "Jumble packed" that is
loose in boxes you just picked out the size that suited your family best,

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-12-2003, 09:02 PM
animaux

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:49:51 -0000, "David Hill"
opined:

I think you are being unfair to the growers.
I know of NO commercial grower who saves his own seed, but there are many
commercial varieties not on sale to the "Amateur market". See
Tomatoes in this link
http://www.provegseeds.com/vegcat/mainvegcat2003.htm

You might find some Packer who has decided to put his own "Brand" on a
product.

Over here in the UK there is a move to describe small/under size apples as
"child size". In the past when apples were sold "Jumble packed" that is
loose in boxes you just picked out the size that suited your family best,

Every certified organic commercial farmer I know collects, ferments and saves their own
seeds. Particularly tomatoes. They are all heirloom, of course, and these are small
farms under 30 acres, but with tomatoes they do save their own seed.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hill

"...........Every certified organic commercial farmer I know collects,
ferments and saves their own seeds. Particularly tomatoes. They are all
heirloom, of course, and these are small
farms under 30 acres, but with tomatoes they do save their own seed.
.........."

Well I stand corrected, and it just goes to show the difference.
Herein the UK all commercial Tomatoes are grown under cover, mostly glass,
and the aim is to produce around ton plus to the acre, with the plants being
grown for around 11 months.

Several wholesale seed companies sell certified Organic seed so this is what
the vast majority use throughout Europe.
Heritage varieties are in the main the preserve of the dedicated amateur.

Old 07-12-2003, 12:12 AM
animaux

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 23:17:46 -0000, "David Hill"
opined:

Well I stand corrected, and it just goes to show the difference.
Herein the UK all commercial Tomatoes are grown under cover, mostly glass,
and the aim is to produce around ton plus to the acre, with the plants being
grown for around 11 months.

Several wholesale seed companies sell certified Organic seed so this is what
the vast majority use throughout Europe.
Heritage varieties are in the main the preserve of the dedicated amateur.

Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers. Greenhouse tomatoes are not really
tomatoes, are they? At least they don't taste like them. This being the case, I will
agree with you that, most hothouse tomatoes here in the States indeed are hybrids which
have very high yield with little to no taste...but weight. In that regard, seeds are
bought. Only heirloom (which are called heritage? over there) can be saved and be assured
to have the same offspring of the parent plant. You know all that...

Old 07-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Ann

animaux expounded:

Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers. Greenhouse tomatoes are not really
tomatoes, are they? At least they don't taste like them. This being the case, I will
agree with you that, most hothouse tomatoes here in the States indeed are hybrids which
have very high yield with little to no taste...but weight.

Plastic tomatoes. Ugh. I look for (and pay for) the best tasting
tomatoes, usually the cluster tomatoes, at least they somewhat
resemble the real thing. The plastic tomatoes ship well, that's about
it!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 07-12-2003, 10:34 AM
David Hill

".........Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers......"

Here in the UK we just don't have the climate to grow Tomatoes outside so
all have to be grown under cover.
For Organic and heritage then this is the best link for the UK
http://www.hdra.org.uk/about.htm

Old 07-12-2003, 04:32 PM
animaux

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:48:41 -0500, Ann opined:

animaux expounded:

Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers. Greenhouse tomatoes are not really
tomatoes, are they? At least they don't taste like them. This being the case, I will
agree with you that, most hothouse tomatoes here in the States indeed are hybrids which
have very high yield with little to no taste...but weight.

Plastic tomatoes. Ugh. I look for (and pay for) the best tasting
tomatoes, usually the cluster tomatoes, at least they somewhat
resemble the real thing. The plastic tomatoes ship well, that's about
it!

Yes, they do have vine ripened tomatoes now on the commercial market. We are very
fortunate here in this part of the world as we have many farmers who grow tomatoes in
hothouses, but use heirloom varieties. Eating in season is promoted here, as well. Keeps
the small farmers in green all year!
Old 07-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Ann

"David Hill" expounded:

".........Oh, when you said farmers I thought you meant farmers......"

Here in the UK we just don't have the climate to grow Tomatoes outside so
all have to be grown under cover.
For Organic and heritage then this is the best link for the UK
http://www.hdra.org.uk/about.htm

Thanx for the link! I'm always interested in reading about commercial
organic farming, it's the fastest growing (no pun intended) farming
industry now. I know I'm always looking for good organic produce and
don't mind paying a bit more for it when I find it.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA