Old 14-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Edgar S.

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Fran-

Thanks for your clear and practical comments. Of course, the tires are
just building materials.

Most building materials look bad or unfinished left sitting out in the
open. Cinder block, rebar, or two by fours left in plain sight, or
where someone can trip over them are Not attractive.

Tires are a useful building material. The earthship type houses
sometimes use tires as a core, covered with adobe like materials.
These structures are often very beautiful and the tires are not
showing.

The other thing is, in a garden space, a variety of plants can be
grown in front of the tires.
They can also be lined up in an organized manner in a section of a
garden, storage area or other work area where their appearance would
not be unpleasant.

It's up to the person to make their living space attractive, or at
least what they wish it to be.
SOME people are ok with rough-hewn settings. It's not my place to tell
others how to live tastefully.

"Fran" wrote in message . au...
"paghat" wrote in message
(Edgar S.) wrote:

(snip) Growing your own food makes more or less sense,
depending on the economy. (snip)
If one can meet most of their needs without using dollars, they're
better off. Of course, this presupposes they can raise the food
efficiently.

Even just a dozen tire stacks with home raised potatoes would be nice
to have and takes little effort.

You almost convinced me but then you created this image of the sort of
trashoids who have worn out tires stacked up in their yards as planters --
no doubt lined up in front of the rusting vehicles up on blocks with those
very tires removed, in front of a doublewide that's settling at an odd
angle with a roof that goes BANG! on hot days.

Boy, I don't think I've ever seen anyone drop so quickly into stereotyping
about such a simple thing.

I've grown spuds in tyres and I live in a house that friends who live in the
city think is quite posh. (Possibly the sauna impresses them but the only
thing I find it useful for is to house the mushroom growing kit).

Spuds don't care where they grow and if you have a problem with a few car
tyres then what about an upturned plastic garbage bin with the bottom cut
out of it? Same principle but does that offend you so much? Recycling can
be done with both taste and effectiveness. You of all people should know
that given your own site (which, BTW, is quite impressive [especially the
crataegus which I love]: but where are the veggies????).

Putting a stack of car tyres behind a big healthy rhubarb plant isn't going
to cause any real offence and if the plants are growing vigorously then most
people will see the lushness and productiveness and not have your "eyesore"
reaction.