Old 23-12-2003, 03:33 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Mosquitos

Mosquitos seem a bit of a menace here, I'm used to them in Cape Town,
but the ones here seem to leave nasty and painful bites - maybe I am
being attacked by sand flies, I wouldn't know how to tell the
difference. Anyway, I have recently read that citronella has no effect
on mosquitos ( http://www.bushman-repellent.com/med.htm ) this is a
pity as I'd a half-formed plan to plant citronella bushes (or trees,
or whatever it comes from) around the property to keep dogs, cats and
mosquitos away. DEET seems the only chemical answer and that isn't
very nice to spray around if you get hay-fever.

I found another mosquito trap at (
http://www.acencorp.com/English/prod...product_id=337 )
but you have to order in quantities of 300 which, though a sure way of
making sure that absolutely no mosquitos bother you might be a trifle
expensive.

I've also read of a thing called a 'Mosquito Magnet', but I haven't
found a source and it seems that it is expensive.

I also haven't found a local source for the 'Mosquito Eater' (
http://www.mosquitoeater.com/how_it_works.html ), and would also like
to know if anybody has had satisfaction from this as it looks a bit
cheaper.

So, reminded of a Dutch study that showed that smelly feet attracted
mosquitos and gorgonzola was a good substitute, I wondered if a
mosquito trap would be a good idea instead. I found such a trap (
http://www.megacatch.com/ ), but it is a terrible price! So I wondered
if anybody had found or made a cheaper model.

As I see it, all you need is a slow release of CO2, a source of heat
at about 37C, maybe some gorgonzola and then a high tension grid (as
you find in the blue-light fly zappers) and you'll have them queuing
up to be executed. I don't mention sound since it seems that sonic
traps don't work at all.

Any suggestions for other sources, instructions on how to build one,
or directions to a builder of this sort of thing in Auckland?

If anybody has tried all of the above and found that none of them work
I'd also be interested to hear - it might save a fortune!
Old 23-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Bobs

I just buy the cheap Raid Mozzie Repeller that you plug into a spare
power socket. Lasts 30 days and seems to work well. Costs $10, plus $7
per refill. You can buy that at your local supermarket.

Old 23-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Sue Bilstein

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
om...
Mosquitos seem a bit of a menace here, I'm used to them in Cape Town,
but the ones here seem to leave nasty and painful bites - maybe I am
being attacked by sand flies, I wouldn't know how to tell the
difference.

More likely mozzies, sandflies are rare in town. Sandflies are smaller,
compact, short legs, like big midges. You feel a sharp nip when they bite
you, whereas you don't feel mosquito bites at the time but they swell & itch
afterwards.

You will probably find that the bites bother you less as you build up
tolerance to the local variety.

snip mosquito-trap ideas

Any suggestions for other sources, instructions on how to build one,
or directions to a builder of this sort of thing in Auckland?

If anybody has tried all of the above and found that none of them work
I'd also be interested to hear - it might save a fortune!

The traditional mosquito-prevention method is to eliminate stagnant water,
or if that's not possible, pour a bit of kerosene on the surface to keep the
larvae from emerging. Not much use if you can't get your neighbours to do
likewise, and also not feasible if you live near bush. I've heard they can
also breed inside bamboo canes and suchlike.

Screens on the windows. Wearing long-sleeved shirt and long pants, with
mozzie repellent on your exposed bits (I use Repel brand). Bobs'
recommendation, or burn mosquito coils (from your local Chinese supermarket
or tramping/camping shop).

Old 23-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Bobs

Sue Bilstein wrote:

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
om...

Mosquitos seem a bit of a menace here, I'm used to them in Cape Town,
but the ones here seem to leave nasty and painful bites - maybe I am
being attacked by sand flies, I wouldn't know how to tell the
difference.

More likely mozzies, sandflies are rare in town. Sandflies are smaller,
compact, short legs, like big midges. You feel a sharp nip when they bite
you, whereas you don't feel mosquito bites at the time but they swell & itch
afterwards.

You will probably find that the bites bother you less as you build up
tolerance to the local variety.

I have never built up an immunity to those fetid little bloodsuckers.
They continue to torment me nightly unless I repel them. Some bites
barely cause a problem, but bites on places like the knuckles and
scrotum hurt and make me rage with furious fury. Even my wang has been
stang from time to time. Bobs is not happy when that happens, let me
tell you.

Apparently Mozzies don't even exist in England and cooler (and less
humid) parts of NZ. At least that is what I've heard, but I refuse to
believe in fairy tales. Those cretins will torment me until the day I
die. They are my nemesis.

snip mosquito-trap ideas

Old 23-12-2003, 08:42 AM
billy_bunter

Peter H.M. Brooks took the time to write...:

[...]

Try ANTI-MAL, a free PC program that emits a very high (supposedly
inaudible) tone that is variable to repel the little buggers...
http://www.thaiware.com/software/util/UL00724.htm

LOL
--
You can't have it all....
Where would you put it anyway ??

Old 23-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Phisherman

We have at least 4 different kinds of mosquitoes. One kind will bite
while standing in the sun during midday, which many mosquitoes won't
do. Avoid eating bananas, use DEET (Deep Woods Off is very good),
light-colored clothing, empty all stagnant water including gutters,
encourage bird houses, have a well-stocked fish pond (minnows &
goldfish love to eat mosquito larvae!). Not sure about eating garlic
pills, although I do anyway for other reasons. If the DEET sprays
bother you, there are lotions that work well applied to the skin.
HTH
Old 23-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Bobs wrote in message ...
I just buy the cheap Raid Mozzie Repeller that you plug into a spare
power socket. Lasts 30 days and seems to work well. Costs $10, plus $7
per refill. You can buy that at your local supermarket.

Yes, I've got one of those and I have been using it, it appears to
reduce, but not eliminate, the mosquito problem - hence my thoughts
about traps.
Old 23-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Bobs wrote in message ...
Sue Bilstein wrote:

[...]

They do exist in the UK, I've been bitten by them. They are, however,
very mild bites, far worse are the midges, but they live in Scotland
so aren't a problem in England, at least not down South.

I am hoping that I develop some immunity, I do wonder that a bite that
I'd only have noticed on inspection in South Africa is a major
irritation here. At least there isn't malaria here, though, the bite
that gave me malaria didn't hurt at all (the malaria mosquitos are
smaller and more cunning than the big slow ones down South) but gave
me black water fever and over a week in hospital with pints of blood
necessary to keep me alive...
Old 23-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

billy_bunter wrote in message . ..
Peter H.M. Brooks took the time to write...:

Try ANTI-MAL, a free PC program that emits a very high (supposedly
inaudible) tone that is variable to repel the little buggers...
http://www.thaiware.com/software/util/UL00724.htm

I gather, from research I have read, that ultrasound doesn't bother
mosquitos, nor, for that matter, mice, rats or moles. I remember
reading about that program, I doubt it would work as most speakers are
designed to produce sound that is in the audible range so won't do
very well in the inaudible range - and, as you are suggesting, there
are likely to be audible harmonics.
Old 23-12-2003, 07:42 PM
JNJ

Peter -- You should do a search on Google's Usenet archives for
"mosquito" -- there's been plenty of discussions on these over the last few
years here. Irritatingly enough, I no longer have my own posts -- when I
reinstalled my system that was the one folder I did not carry over. Sigh

Mosquito bites can be quite painful depending on the species of skeeter. We
have some tiger striped buggers here in SW Ohio (USA) that are out all day
and night, and let me tell ya -- when they bite you it's like getting bitten
by a bloody horse fly.

There are a number of devices out there to combat mosquito problems. I've
focused on two -- the Mosquito Magnet line and the Mosquito Deleto.

The concepts are basically the same -- create heat and carbon dioxide,
couple it with octenol, then capture the mosquitoes. The Mosquito Magnet
uses a vacuum whereas the Mosquito Deleto uses the rough equivalent of fly
paper.

Since I don't have the bucks to get a Mosquito Magnet (although it would
have been my first pick) I went with a Mosquito Deleto. To date the
performance has been impressive. New units cost around $150.

We had not gotten around to picking up a canister of propane this year until
late in the season. Any time we took a step in the back yard we were
instantly under attack. We hooked up the Mosquito Deleto and I was bitten
only a handful of times afterwards. The one thing commonly noted about this
device though is that there are never any mosquitoes on the sticky paper. I
don't know where they get all those skeeters in the commercials, but I never
see any on there. I had a garter snake get on there once though. More
oft than not, the mosquitos dessicate and there's just nothing left of them.

Simple fact of the matter -- without that thing going we're eaten alive,
with it running they leave us alone. That's good enough for me.

Coleman also makes a Mosquito Inibitor. This gives off a citrousy scent and
uses little foam inserts soaked in an oil repellant. FWIW, these things are
great for patios to drive away any others -- we have one in the front yard
and never get bitten when we have it out. Only down side is that the cost
of refills is nearly the same as the whole unit.

The Mosquito Magnet uses the same basic concepts as the Mosquito Deleto but
instead of the sticky paper it has a vacuum with a sucker right near the
octenol attractant. Mosquitoes check in but they don't check out -- as they
fly up to the device, they're sucked in and dropped into a bag that is
attached to the unit. The company makes several models ranging in price
from about $300 to over $1000 (all USD). These puppies are widely reviewed
and very well considered. Effective ranges are 1/4 acre to a full acre.

FWIW, I've also a measure of success with the Off Lamps in small, relatively
enclosed areas (such as the front yard which is surrounded on 3 sides and
sits far back from the road). These cost about 15-20 bucks, give or take.

Coleman's website has info on the Mosquito Deleto at
http://www.mosquitodeleto.com/ and you can buy online there as well home
improvement stores. The Mosquito Magnet can be found at
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com and are widely available at home improvement
stores like Home Depot, Sears, and Target even.

Lastly, there are a number of sprays manufactured that you simply attach a
hose to the sprayer then treat your yard/patio areas. One uses Cedar oil
while the other uses Garlic extract. The latter is called Mosquito Barrier
(http://www.mosquitobarrier.com) and runs $22.45 for a quart and is
purported to cover about an acre ($84.95 for a gallon which covers 5 acres).
So far, the only place I've found this one available was online at their web
site. (There's another "Mosquito Barrier" product marketed by Victor Pest,
but it is nowhere near as concentrated although it's equally difficult to
find). The other, Cedarcide (http://www.cedarcide.com) is the one I went
with -- I found it locally at a garden supply store (couple, actually) and
it was less expensive for more. Cedarcide worked pretty well -- I hooked my
hose to the sprayer, sprayed all about the house, and the skeeters stayed
away. These treatments will wear off after a couple of good rains but in
the interim they do very well and do not involve any mess or bad odors. One
thing I really like about them is that I can spray the house (around windows
and doors for example) and the buggies stay outside.

So that's how I combat the bloody things. It works too -- we only get a few
bites each month compared to many more withot them.

James

Old 23-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Shell

We have both cold weather and hot weather species and many kinds of each.
They're attracted by CO2, dark colors, people who are allergic to them give
off a scent that attracts them I think, along with the neon sign above the
head flashing FREE FOOD. From my experience citronella candles do work and
one of the best things I have found is an electric fan. Around here they
carry West Nile and Louisiana Encephilitis.

And the smell of Off brings back many childhood memories

Shell
(who puffs up like a toad when bitten)

Old 24-12-2003, 12:08 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Shell" wrote in message y.com...

Anyway, I have recently read that citronella has no effect
on mosquitos ( http://www.bushman-repellent.com/med.htm ) this is a
pity as I'd a half-formed plan to plant citronella bushes (or trees,
or whatever it comes from) around the property to keep dogs, cats and
mosquitos away. DEET seems the only chemical answer and that isn't
very nice to spray around if you get hay-fever.

We have both cold weather and hot weather species and many kinds of each.
They're attracted by CO2, dark colors, people who are allergic to them give
off a scent that attracts them I think, along with the neon sign above the
head flashing FREE FOOD. From my experience citronella candles do work and
one of the best things I have found is an electric fan. Around here they
carry West Nile and Louisiana Encephilitis.

The research seems pretty convincing regarding the inefficacy of
citronella. Maybe there is some placebo effect at work here or maybe
New Zealand species of mosquito react differently from those examined
in the study.

More research seems to be indicated.
Old 24-12-2003, 12:12 AM
David J Bockman

There once was a lass named Estrella,
One summer's night went with a fella,
"Stick close tonight, for the mosquitoes they bite,
and you smell just like citronella!"

Dave

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
om...

y.com...

Old 24-12-2003, 07:03 AM
Shell

Look out for bears too saw a syudy where citronella is like putting out a
free lunch sign for bears

Shell

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
There once was a lass named Estrella,
One summer's night went with a fella,
"Stick close tonight, for the mosquitoes they bite,
and you smell just like citronella!"

Dave

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
om...
"Shell" wrote in message

y.com...

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Bee keeper's head gear/mosquitos Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 4 16-09-2003 11:32 AM
@#*%!^ mosquitos Phisherman Gardening 16 26-07-2003 09:12 AM
Mosquitos!!! Consumer Reports testing Magnet and Trap models... JayPomp Gardening 19 19-06-2003 02:08 PM
Mosquitos!!! Iris Cohen Gardening 0 18-06-2003 10:32 PM
OT - Mosquitos Are Coming! TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 01-02-2003 01:43 AM