Old 31-12-2003, 12:42 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Sedum? Now???

I'm in zone 7a according to the USDA zone hardiness map. We've had some snow,
but it's been gone a while and the temps lately have been in the mid-40's to
low 50's (day) and barely touching freezing at night.

Was out tidying up the yard and sucking up some errant leaves and found both my
Sedum plants are sending up new shoots... LOTS of new shoots.

What's going on can't they tell time? Are sedum somewhat cold-hardy?

At any rate, I now have a couple pails full of oak tree leaves shredded by the
leaf blower/shredding machine. Should I use this to cover the Sedum or just
leave them as they are now - all cleaned up in a winter-bare bed and exposed to
whatever Mother Nature throws on them?

Thanks in advance!
Old 31-12-2003, 01:06 PM
B & J

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I'm in zone 7a according to the USDA zone hardiness map. We've had some

snow,
but it's been gone a while and the temps lately have been in the mid-40's

low 50's (day) and barely touching freezing at night.

Was out tidying up the yard and sucking up some errant leaves and found

both my
Sedum plants are sending up new shoots... LOTS of new shoots.

What's going on can't they tell time? Are sedum somewhat cold-hardy?

At any rate, I now have a couple pails full of oak tree leaves shredded by

the
leaf blower/shredding machine. Should I use this to cover the Sedum or

just
leave them as they are now - all cleaned up in a winter-bare bed and

exposed to
whatever Mother Nature throws on them?

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about sedums freezing out or dying from winter cold even if
they're sprouting. They're tough. I raised sedum 'Autumn Joy' in zone 3,
northern MN without losing it in cold, snow free winters. The one problem I
had was that it blossomed in late August - early September, and the blossoms
were often turned to mush from frost.

BTW, our weather has been incredibly mild in northern AR (zone 6). We were
close to sixty today, and I sprayed my fruit trees, roses, and spider mite
prone shrubs with dormant oil today. I even have some catkins starting to
open on the pussy willow.

John

Old 02-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Exactly to which "Sedums" is it you allude? You need to be more specific.

Sedum is a very large genus, even with the recent removal of many species to
other genera, found throughout the Northern Hemisphere in arctic, temperate
and tropical regions into Africa and the Andes of South America. So, it is
impossible to generalize on their winter care.

Regardless of their origin, they are leaf succulents and should never be
covered, even in winter.

I do suspect that your plants are actually deciduous Hylotelephium cultivars
and not true Sedum at all. None-the-less, do not cover them. All the
Hylotelephium are completely cold hardy.

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Sedum Matting Richard Edwards United Kingdom 7 09-04-2009 07:57 PM
A really tall sedum Cheryl Isaak Gardening 0 23-02-2004 01:23 PM
Sedum morganianum Tom Jaszewski Gardening 2 30-03-2003 11:56 PM
Creeping Sedum Peggy Elliott Gardening 4 27-03-2003 03:20 AM
disturbing sedum Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 11:29 AM