Old 07-12-2004, 01:10 PM
gray

Default Pruning tall holly tree ??

I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
pruned to form a nice A shape.

Its got a bit leggy in places.

Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc
Old 07-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
gray writes:
| I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
| pruned to form a nice A shape.
|
| Its got a bit leggy in places.
|
| Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
| year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

Whenever and however. Holly is very forgiving and will regrow from
quite old wood.

| ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc

Yes. Some people are happy up ladders; others aren't. 30' is a
long way up for anything except scaffolding.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Duncan Heenan

"gray" wrote in message
I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
pruned to form a nice A shape.

Its got a bit leggy in places.

Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc

You mean e.g. - not i.e.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Rod

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:10:50 GMT, gray wrote:

I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
pruned to form a nice A shape.

Its got a bit leggy in places.

Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc

It's very forgiving, so do what you want, when you want.

As for access, a cherrypicker would be my choice but could be
expensive if you have to hire one. A scaffold tower that size would
need to be almost completely dismantled at each move and you will
probably need several moves. That would be for a good reshaping job,
you'd probably get away with long pruners and a polesaw for a rough
and ready pruning job.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Alan Holmes

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message

"gray" wrote in message
I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
pruned to form a nice A shape.

Its got a bit leggy in places.

Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc

You mean e.g. - not i.e.

'PLONK'(ER)

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 09-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Duncan Heenan

"gray" wrote in message
I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
pruned to form a nice A shape.

Its got a bit leggy in places.

Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc

You mean e.g. - not i.e.

'PLONK'(ER)

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Pedant perhaps, but what's plonkish about using Latin initialisation
correctly?

Old 10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Des Higgins

"gray" wrote in message
I have a tall holly tree approx 30ft tall, that had been in the past
pruned to form a nice A shape.

Its got a bit leggy in places.

Advice please on the best method of pruning it ??? and best time of
year to prune. As its covered in berries now.

ie scaffold tower, long extension pruners, cherry picker etc etc

You mean e.g. - not i.e.

'PLONK'(ER)

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Pedant perhaps, but what's plonkish about using Latin initialisation
correctly?

There is nothing wrong with using "i.e." and "e.g." correctly, at all.
What will get people worked up is correcting the grammar or spelling or
punctuation in posts from other people.
It makes you sound like a grumpy schoolteacher. Usenet is just a loud silly
place full of all kinds of everything;
some of it occasionally correctly spelled and grammatically correct.
Usually, however, anything goes.

Des

Old 10-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Duncan Heenan

..
There is nothing wrong with using "i.e." and "e.g." correctly, at all.
What will get people worked up is correcting the grammar or spelling or
punctuation in posts from other people.
It makes you sound like a grumpy schoolteacher. Usenet is just a loud
silly place full of all kinds of everything;
some of it occasionally correctly spelled and grammatically correct.
Usually, however, anything goes.

Des

I admit to being a grumpy old git, but I'm not a school teacher.
However, I've usually been grateful for correction when I've been wrong
about something. That's how we learn. The confusing of i.e. (id est) for
e.g. (exampla grantis) is one of the most common, and to me annoying,
mistakes made in writing or speech.
On the other hand I think that people who simply post "Plonker", very
accurately describe themselves.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Mike Lyle

Duncan Heenan wrote:
.
There is nothing wrong with using "i.e." and "e.g." correctly, at
all. What will get people worked up is correcting the grammar or
spelling or punctuation in posts from other people.
It makes you sound like a grumpy schoolteacher. Usenet is just a
loud silly place full of all kinds of everything;
some of it occasionally correctly spelled and grammatically

correct.
Usually, however, anything goes.

Des

I admit to being a grumpy old git, but I'm not a school teacher.
However, I've usually been grateful for correction when I've been
wrong about something. That's how we learn. The confusing of i.e.

(id
est) for e.g. (exampla grantis) is one of the most common, and to

me
annoying, mistakes made in writing or speech.

[...]

Well, in that case you won't mind my mentioning that it's "exempli
gratia"!

Mike (pédantique? moi?)

Old 10-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Duncan Heenan wrote:
.
[...]

I stand corrected - and contrite! (assuming there is more than one example
quoted?)

Old 13-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Duncan Heenan wrote:
.
[...]

Now you see what has happened Duncan :-).
The big danger of posting grammatical or spelling corrections on usenet is
that everyone will scour every post by you to look for your own mistakes.
Ultimately, even the most literate among us will get something wrong sooner
or later.
My personal pet hates are incorrect uses of plurals/singulars for data,
bacteria etc. or
incorrect use of the word literally as in "... I literally jumped out of my
skin". I think it is a sign of reaching 45 or so.

Des

Old 14-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

.. Now you see what has happened Duncan :-).
The big danger of posting grammatical or spelling corrections on usenet is
that everyone will scour every post by you to look for your own mistakes.
Ultimately, even the most literate among us will get something wrong
sooner or later.
My personal pet hates are incorrect uses of plurals/singulars for data,
bacteria etc. or
incorrect use of the word literally as in "... I literally jumped out of
my skin". I think it is a sign of reaching 45 or so.

Des

Your probably right. The amount of people I myself actually see talking
wrong is totally unbelieveable. I guess its OK though is theres enough doing
mistake's since then its' the norm. Trouble is, we all have to do the same
mistakes at the end of the day to make it OK and at this point in time
theres a lot of MOGs like I ; whom really really dont want to do it. So
nothing ever changes. No what I mean.

Old 15-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Des Higgins

[...]

ur ded rite about wot's rong but I dont tink it is possible to stop udders
from making mistakes.
There are too many of them and too many mistakes.
Much of modern English is probably a historical mistake or accident anyway.
English has changed over teh years and will continue to do so and it is
almost impossible to stop.

Here in Dublin, kids now all speak as if they are in "Friends" (US sitcom).
It is dire but they do not care
so I try to just ignore it.

Old 15-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Sally Thompson

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:46:52 -0000, "Duncan Heenan"
wrote:

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

. Now you see what has happened Duncan :-).
The big danger of posting grammatical or spelling corrections on usenet is
that everyone will scour every post by you to look for your own mistakes.
Ultimately, even the most literate among us will get something wrong
sooner or later.

snip

Your probably right. The amount of people I myself actually see talking
wrong is totally unbelieveable. I guess its OK though is theres enough doing
mistake's since then its' the norm. Trouble is, we all have to do the same
mistakes at the end of the day to make it OK and at this point in time
theres a lot of MOGs like I ; whom really really dont want to do it. So
nothing ever changes. No what I mean.

Nah. Too many capital letters and too much punctuation to be
authentically coolg

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 15-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Duncan Heenan

[...]

That's just one manifestation of US cultural imperialism. When I'm elected
.........(cont. p 69)

How tall is TOO tall for seedlings? qazwsxed Gardening 3 23-03-2011 09:57 PM
Struggling to find homes for New Zealand Tree Ferns ranging in size from 7ft tall to over 10ft tall. PLEASE HELP [email protected] Gardening 0 26-07-2007 12:12 AM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
Pruning Holly JennyC United Kingdom 2 30-07-2003 06:12 PM
pruning holly bushes Cat United Kingdom 2 16-06-2003 11:32 PM