Old 13-03-2014, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How close to a house can I plant an apple treee?

Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

TIA
Al
Old 13-03-2014, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/14 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

I wouldn't.

It would *probably* be OK (if the rootstock is as described...) but your
house insurance might not cover damage caused by mistakenly planting
something which might undermine your neighbour's foundations.

Why not grow it in a *BIG* planter?

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 13-03-2014, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

I think that would be a bit close to the house and not good for either.

Also you have to consider the loss of light from its canopy when the
thing grows. It may shade windows in an annoying manner.

You don't say what rootstock it is on so it is hard to guess what the
actual size will be and I have found that some plants which grow small
at under 2m for me on heavy clay are rampant and 3+m elsewhere.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-03-2014, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Mar 2014 15:19:19 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

TIA
Al

My previous house had an apple tree trained espalier style up the
house wall. It had been there for about ten years.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 13-03-2014, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally, I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is
that okay to do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a
house, but according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6
mtrs, so I hope 2 mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay.
What do you think?

I think that would be a bit close to the house and not good for
either.

Also you have to consider the loss of light from its canopy when the
thing grows. It may shade windows in an annoying manner.

You don't say what rootstock it is on so it is hard to guess what the
actual size will be and I have found that some plants which grow small
at under 2m for me on heavy clay are rampant and 3+m elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. The printed blurb on the tag doesn't say anything
about the rootstock. It just says it's eventual height and spread will both
be about 2.7 mtrs.

Am I right in thinking that the roots of a tree generally spread about the
same amount as the branches?

The ground (beneath a thin layer of topsoil) is heavy clay, so hopefully
that will keep it in check. I think the roots will have a tough time
reaching the footings of the adjacent building. There is no chance of it
impinging on the neighbour's light.

Al

Old 13-03-2014, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/2014 17:38, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On 13 Mar 2014 15:19:19 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

TIA
Al

My previous house had an apple tree trained espalier style up the
house wall. It had been there for about ten years.

Steve

I would add another meter away from their house, Just think how you will
pick the apples in years to come.
I like the idea of espalier on your own wall, or you could try it as a
cordon
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=87
David above the fog of Swansea Bay
Old 13-03-2014, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-13 17:54:38 +0000, AL_n said:

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
[...]

If there's any risk of it tapping against windows or on a roof, your
neighbour will be very upset in time to come. Apples need a good deal
of sun, too, so if you plant it in the shadow of a building which
doesn't allow for that, your tree won't perform well. I agree with
others who have counselled you that you're aiming to plant it much too
close to your neighbour.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-03-2014, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-13 17:38:21 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On 13 Mar 2014 15:19:19 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

TIA
Al

My previous house had an apple tree trained espalier style up the
house wall. It had been there for about ten years.

Steve

With respect to all concerned, if the OP has to ask about distance for
planting an apple tree, I can't see an espalier style being a good way
to start fruit growing from scratch!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-03-2014, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/14 17:54, AL_n wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
[...]

Clay is generally rather nutritous and apple trees rather like it IME.
Roots rarely have a tough time unless completely contained. Indeed,
willows especially can send roots up to a verylongway.

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 13-03-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote ...

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

Oh dear, Cox's are a devil to grow well (susceptible to almost everything)
and fruit (it needs a pollinator) and are best for commercial planting where
they can throw lots of chemicals at the trees. Good luck.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-03-2014, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-13 22:57:49 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"AL_n" wrote ...

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

Oh dear, Cox's are a devil to grow well (susceptible to almost
everything) and fruit (it needs a pollinator) and are best for
commercial planting where they can throw lots of chemicals at the
trees. Good luck.

I thought it was one of those where some need pollinating and some
don't, Bob? Iow, confusing! They do seem to be prone to all the ills
an apple tree can suffer though!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-03-2014, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-13 22:57:49 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"AL_n" wrote ...

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I
hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

Oh dear, Cox's are a devil to grow well (susceptible to almost
everything) and fruit (it needs a pollinator) and are best for
commercial planting where they can throw lots of chemicals at the
trees. Good luck.

I thought it was one of those where some need pollinating and some
don't, Bob? Iow, confusing! They do seem to be prone to all the ills an
apple tree can suffer though!

Cox lookalikes like Sunset are a lot more reliable. Come to that even
French golden delicious apples grown in the UK on dwarfing rootstock are
nowhere near as inedible as French pumped up supermarket ones.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-03-2014, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"AL_n" wrote ...

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I
hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

Oh dear, Cox's are a devil to grow well (susceptible to almost
everything) and fruit (it needs a pollinator) and are best for commercial
planting where they can throw lots of chemicals at the trees. Good luck.

I thought it was one of those where some need pollinating and some don't,
Bob? Iow, confusing! They do seem to be prone to all the ills an apple
tree can suffer though!

There is a self fertile clone available but it's always specifically sold as
the Self Fertile variety, if it is just sold as Cox's then it won't be.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-03-2014, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RustyHinge" wrote in message ...

Clay is generally rather nutritous and apple trees rather like it IME.
Roots rarely have a tough time unless completely contained. Indeed, willows
especially can send roots up to a verylongway.

And invade underground wastewater pipes. We had one that was full of root
for about ten foot of its length. It had to be dug out and replaced. The
willow tree stump is still there
in our field to remind us.

Pete

Cherry Treee for South? chaz Gardening 6 10-01-2004 05:03 PM
How close should be Thujas planted near the house? Hard694soft United Kingdom 0 24-08-2003 12:32 PM
How close should be Thujas planted near the house? Emrys Davies United Kingdom 5 21-08-2003 04:12 AM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM
Will ponds cause (insects,mosquito etc) problem if it is too close to the house? John Ponds 3 30-01-2003 06:27 PM