Old 22-01-2004, 12:42 AM
The Wolf

Default Roses and upstate NY

Thinking about an arbor for a rental property in upstate NY.

What are the recommendations for climbing roses?

If this is not the right newsgroup could someone please point me in the
right direction?

Old 22-01-2004, 02:43 PM
animaux

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:40:44 GMT, The Wolf opined:

Thinking about an arbor for a rental property in upstate NY.

What are the recommendations for climbing roses?

If this is not the right newsgroup could someone please point me in the
right direction?

Take a look at www.vintagegardens.com and they have superior information about
all manner of roses. Take their information and buy your roses locally. Where
in upstate NY are you talking about?

Victoria
Old 22-01-2004, 03:12 PM
The Wolf

On 01/22/2004 6:36 AM, in article
, "animaux"
opined:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:40:44 GMT, The Wolf opined:

Thinking about an arbor for a rental property in upstate NY.

What are the recommendations for climbing roses?

If this is not the right newsgroup could someone please point me in the
right direction?

Take a look at
www.vintagegardens.com and they have superior information about
all manner of roses. Take their information and buy your roses locally.
Where
in upstate NY are you talking about?

Victoria

Mid Hudson Valley

Old 22-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Sunflower

--

The biggest issue you will have will be hardiness. Most roses in your zone
require extensive winter protection to be able to survive, much less bloom.

While I love Vintage Gardens and have ordered tons of roses from them, they
ARE in California and have not got a clue about hardiness issues with any of
their varieties and will make no recommendations about the issue..

Old 22-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Janet Bledsoe

Hi Wolf,

You will want a climbing rose with flexible canes for a rose arbor.
Especially if it is squared at the top. I would visit your local rose
gardens and see what they have growing, and take note of what you
like. What rose does well in one place, may do poorly in another
place. If you go to the www.ars.org website, they will have a list of
consulting rosarians from your area with their email addresses.
Contact one of them for suggestions as well.

Janet

Old 22-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Janet Bledsoe

That is a good site Sunflower! You reminded me of another. This
nursery specializes in hardy cold weather roses, and can give you
sound advise as well, these ladies run a great nursery and are fun to
talk to, and eager to help you make the right choices. Their website
is:

http://www.highcountryroses.com/

Janet

Old 22-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/22/04 10:07 AM, in article ,
"The Wolf" wrote:

On 01/22/2004 6:36 AM, in article
, "animaux"
opined:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:40:44 GMT, The Wolf
opined:

Thinking about an arbor for a rental property in upstate NY.

What are the recommendations for climbing roses?

If this is not the right newsgroup could someone please point me in the
right direction?

Take a look at
www.vintagegardens.com and they have superior information
about
all manner of roses. Take their information and buy your roses locally.
Where
in upstate NY are you talking about?

Victoria

Mid Hudson Valley

Nice area! Try Lowe's Own Root Roses (in Nashua NH).

Cheryl