Old 30-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Default where did all those wild vegies go?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:31:41 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Are Jalapenos and Habaneros now considered weapons of mass destruction?

Chile Petin (also Pekin) - the wild one. Mockingbirds love them. They
will repeatedly swoop down and eat one after another. Later, they will
sit on their perch with wings outspread and tongue sticking out -
enchilados.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Old 31-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Michelle

Hey spanish and cultures related there too I know that stuff
Chili with an accent over teh i Chee' Le due to its onec common
cash crop of mountain chiles which I don't know the scientific name of
now they do mostly coffee like columbia but we know what Columbia's
real cash crop is don't we
and lLima peru There national export is not lima beans no relation as
far as I know but I could be mistaken And I've not been in school for
quite a while so feel free to correct if things have changed
Michelle
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:51:08 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:36:39 GMT,
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:26:19 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

How about the wild chile in the city, running wild and looking pretty?

That's spelled "chili", Taco belly.

Chile is the correct spelling for hot pepper.

Chili is an anglicized corruption to refer to a stew (that happens to
contain a lot of chile).

For extra credit, you can figure out how the country of Chile got its
name, and the correct pronunciation.

Go to the head of the class if you can figure out Lima beans.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Old 31-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Michelle

Are you serious ? Is that true?
I thought only humans and the ocational pig ate hot peppers ?
Michelle

Old 31-01-2004, 05:42 AM
B & J

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:28:47 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

I'm rather new to the intrest of serious gardening I've always had a
garden but not been a serious gardener I have a new home and would
like to turn my formally passing intrest into a serious hobby.
Thanks for all the information you provided It is very interesting to
me and I appreciate it.
on the matter of spelling I explained in a former post hat I am
legally blind I can see well enough to appreciate a visually appealing
garden and it's eddable bennifits and to not to fall flat on my face
while walking in the day any way at night I use a cane and I read
braille _ not well however it is a new skill to me it takes me about
three months to finish a two hundred page book
I use a computer program called Zoom Text which does as it's name says
but not all programs work well or at all with it and small
applications especially Let me tell you microsoft does not call The
Makers of Zoom Text and say hey Can we change our program in any way
to suit you ? Ha Not happening It works pitifully with snall
applications inside other applications such as a window with a spell
check
Now I don't mean to sound like a winer but are typos so offensive to
you I was under the impression this was a fairly informal group.
I am no dummy either I accelled in all subjects usualy on the honor
roll especially in the sciences , history language but unfortunatly
spelling is somthing that suffers as a matter of course if one has
been visually impared
I do try to improve but well no one is perfect
and one of the reasons for my question in the first place is to
interact and see what others think not complete a scientific paper
about the evelution of hordiculture .
Does that answer any of your questions ?
Regards
Michelle

I've said it before, my apologies to the other folks. But who died
and made Webster God anyway? wreck.gardens is an international group
that happens to be presented in english. The reason for the written
word is to convey thought, information and questions. If the letters
are put together in a manner to accomplish that, then in my book it is
spelled correctly.

Now if you were an American fifth grader with perfect eyesight and
hearing I'd have a different response.

zhan-with Zhan's Creative Dictionary at her elbow.

Gee, Zhan, why would you come to the defense of a poor speller? G Teasing
aside, you did make some good points. I used to pound spelling and writing
into the heads of junior high kids, saying the way we wrote and spelled
defined other people's perception of us when we were unable to communicate
face to face.

I'm no longer able to defend that old saw because most jobs require few
writing skills, although grammar is still important when communicating. In
many situations the value of the idea is more important than the spelling.

BTW, is "Zhan's Creative Dictionary" the spelling check? VBG

John

Old 31-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Steve Wolfe

Are you serious ? Is that true?
I thought only humans and the ocational pig ate hot peppers ?

Nope! Birds can't feel the "hotness" of the peppers. It's a rather
nifty evolutionary advantage:

When the pepper is consumed by an animal, the seeds will (hopefully) pass
through the animals' digestive tract relatively unharmed, then fall out in a
nice pile of... well, "seed-starting fertilizer". Then that seed will have
a pretty good chance of growing into a new plant.

Here's where it gets good: If the animal that consumed the pepper was a
mammal, it's not going to travel very far before that seed falls out. That
means that when the seed sprouts, the emergent plant, or it's progeny down
the line, is now local competition for the original plant. Since a lot of
peppers are found in pretty harsh environments, having the plant's offspring
competing with it can deplete resources (such as water) enough to jeapardize
*all* of them. Not a good idea!

Well, enter capsaicin, the chemical that makes peppers spicy. It just
so happens that birds don't have chemoreceptors for capsaicin, meaning they
aren't affected by the spiciness. If a *bird* eats the pepper, chances are
that when that seed falls to the ground in a pile of fertilizer, it's going
to be significantly farther away from the original plant than if a mammal
had eaten it. That means that the plant gets the best of both worlds: It
gets to spread its seed (literally and figuratively), but doesn't have to
deal with the local competition from its own progeny. A pretty nifty trick!

- steve

Old 31-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Steve Wolfe

Chili with an accent over teh i

As another person pointed out, the Spanish word is "chile", NOT "chili".
Note that "chile" does not have an accent on it anywhere. That's true
whether you're talking about a chile pepper or the country Chile. That
means that:

(a) If you were to write "chíle", you'd be wrong for putting an accent where
it's not needed. The first "i" already has emphasis in this word, and
putting an accent on it would be redundant.

(b) If you were to write "chilí" (note the accent on the second "I"), you'd
be wrong on two accounts- first, spelling the word incorrectly in the first
place, and second, emphasizing the wrong syllable in the word.

In order to use the correct Spanish pronunciation of "CHEE-lay", it takes
a bit of tongue-work that we, as speakers of English, aren't used to doing.
Because of that, many persons say "CHI-lee", so persons who try to spell
phonetically tend to write "chile". Yet another of the nearly infinite
examples where trying to use phonetics to spell an English word will just
bit you in the butt!

Note, also, that there is no such thing as a "habañero" pepper, but rather
a "habanero" pepper. A classic exageration of "over-culturization".

steve

Old 31-01-2004, 05:12 PM

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:45:16 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

Hey spanish and cultures related there too I know that stuff
Chili with an accent over teh i Chee' Le due to its onec common
cash crop of mountain chiles which I don't know the scientific name of
now they do mostly coffee like columbia but we know what Columbia's
real cash crop is don't we
and lLima peru There national export is not lima beans no relation as
far as I know but I could be mistaken And I've not been in school for
quite a while so feel free to correct if things have changed
Michelle

An alternative hypothesis is that origin of the name of the bean
and/or the city is related to the word for lemons or limes.

Roy - Carpe Noctem
Old 31-01-2004, 05:42 PM

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:45:16 -0500, Michelle

and Lima peru There national export is not lima beans no relation as
far as I know but I could be mistaken

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...ers/beans.html
" Another course extended down through Central America into Peru,
where the large-seeded, large-podded types were developed in the warm
coastal areas. The name "lima bean" obviously came from Lima, Peru,
one point at which the species was found by early European explorers."

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbeansfresh.html
"Lima beans originated in Peru and have been grown there since 6000
B.C. The name lima bean comes from the capital city of Peru, Lima."

EDITOR's NOTE: The earliest historical evidence is that the bean
originated in Guatamala, and became common in Peru. See first
reference.

http://www.sacklunch.net/placenames/L/Lima.html
"Meaning of Place Name: Lima
Lima: Probably from Lomnech, "a barren spot." Taylor says it is a
corruption of Rimac, the Indian name of the plain on which the city
stands."

http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/ying/t20040105_95244.htm
"Its name is a corruption of the Quechua Indian name Rímac, meaning
“Talker.”"

Roy - Carpe Noctem

[IMG] code is On

Vegies from seed Brerfox Australia 6 21-06-2005 09:18 AM
Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 09:29 AM
How are the vegies, everyone? Chookie Australia 15 28-07-2004 10:47 PM
where did all those wild vegies go ? Michelle Texas 40 05-02-2004 03:02 PM
winter vegies Luke Australia 6 13-05-2003 02:32 PM