Old 29-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Michelle

Default where did all those wild vegies go?

Hey I was reading a post on my cooking group and one user always
posts a factoid about food this time it was about a chili pepper plant
and it's ancesstory .
so my question is how come you don't just see vegetables growing all
over the place wild like som crazy out of control tomatoes or somthing
like that once I saw some whild sunflowers in the woods and I saw a
pumpkin once but not too much else I see whild fruit all the time like
crab apples or sour cherry but no bunches of
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?
Just a queery
Michelle
"Love is the water in the garden of life "
Old 29-01-2004, 07:33 AM
gregpresley

There are many wild relatives of lettuce and cabbage growing everywhere -
some are common weeds of the garden in fact! I'm pretty sure there are wild
grains around many places - small seeded varieties of wheat, oats,
buckwheat, etc, but you'd never be able to tell them apart from other tall
grasses. In the lower midwest and south there are native persimmons
everywhere in the woods. Also in the woods are blueberries, and in the south
and west, blackberries and other berries. But most of the garden vegetables
and fruits we have are bred for size and flavor, not for the rugged ability
to colonize wild places.

Old 29-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Just how many professional ethnobotanists are in your cooking group?

You and your culinary buddies need to get out more and philosophize less.

There are whole books written on the subject. You can find them in a place
called a library. Check it out.

You have been looking in the wrong places.

The wild ancestors of all our cultivated crop plants are out there somewhere
on the planet and they won't be in your back yard.

Many of them have been domesticated to such an extreme you might not
recognize many of them at first.

The wild ancestor of the sunflower grows throughout North America from coast
to coast but the plants have many small flower heads instead of a single
oversized one. They grow in open fields not wooded areas.

The wild ancestors of the tomato are all gangly South American perennials
with small berries. Its just that none of the species are cold hardy.

Wild chilies are all over the New World tropics.

The wild gourds are found primarily in arid regions and have rather small
fruit.

The wild ancestors of corn occur all through Mexico and look like tall
grasses and have no cobs at all.

BTW, be sure to do a spelling check before you send out your queery, oops, I
mean query.

Old 29-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:56:32 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

Hey I was reading a post on my cooking group and one user always
posts a factoid about food this time it was about a chili pepper plant
and it's ancesstory .
so my question is how come you don't just see vegetables growing all
over the place wild like som crazy out of control tomatoes or somthing
like that once I saw some whild sunflowers in the woods and I saw a
pumpkin once but not too much else I see whild fruit all the time like
crab apples or sour cherry but no bunches of
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?

Go find a copy of 'The Botany of Desire' -- your library probably has
more than one, as it was a recent best-seller. The wild plants didn't
go away -- it's just that you probably wouldn't recognize (or want to
eat) the ancestors of wheat or sweetcorn. Cultivated plants are just
that -- not only selected and bred for the most desirable
characteristics, but given the best conditions to grow. Plowing,
weeding, and irrigation make life a lot easier for a 'domestic'
tomato. :-)
Old 29-01-2004, 02:02 PM

wrote:

Hey I was reading a post on my cooking group and one user always
posts a factoid about food this time it was about a chili pepper plant
and it's ancesstory .
so my question is how come you don't just see vegetables growing all
over the place wild like som crazy out of control tomatoes or somthing
like that once I saw some whild sunflowers in the woods and I saw a
pumpkin once but not too much else I see whild fruit all the time like
crab apples or sour cherry but no bunches of
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?
Just a queery
Michelle
"Love is the water in the garden of life "

There is a wild chile that grows in S. Tx and NE Mexico. The fruit is
a bit smaller than a pea. More round than oblong.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Old 29-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Cereus-validus

How about the wild chile in the city, running wild and looking pretty?

That's spelled "chili", Taco belly.

You wants some baby back ribs? Guess where you can get them?

Old 30-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Michelle

I'm rather new to the intrest of serious gardening I've always had a
garden but not been a serious gardener I have a new home and would
like to turn my formally passing intrest into a serious hobby.
Thanks for all the information you provided It is very interesting to
me and I appreciate it.
on the matter of spelling I explained in a former post hat I am
legally blind I can see well enough to appreciate a visually appealing
garden and it's eddable bennifits and to not to fall flat on my face
while walking in the day any way at night I use a cane and I read
braille _ not well however it is a new skill to me it takes me about
three months to finish a two hundred page book
I use a computer program called Zoom Text which does as it's name says
but not all programs work well or at all with it and small
applications especially Let me tell you microsoft does not call The
Makers of Zoom Text and say hey Can we change our program in any way
to suit you ? Ha Not happening It works pitifully with snall
applications inside other applications such as a window with a spell
check
Now I don't mean to sound like a winer but are typos so offensive to
you I was under the impression this was a fairly informal group.
I am no dummy either I accelled in all subjects usualy on the honor
roll especially in the sciences , history language but unfortunatly
spelling is somthing that suffers as a matter of course if one has
been visually impared
I do try to improve but well no one is perfect
and one of the reasons for my question in the first place is to
interact and see what others think not complete a scientific paper
about the evelution of hordiculture .
Does that answer any of your questions ?
Regards
Michelle

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:57:19 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 30-01-2004, 06:32 AM
zhanataya

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:28:47 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

[...]

I've said it before, my apologies to the other folks. But who died
and made Webster God anyway? wreck.gardens is an international group
that happens to be presented in english. The reason for the written
word is to convey thought, information and questions. If the letters
are put together in a manner to accomplish that, then in my book it is
spelled correctly.

Now if you were an American fifth grader with perfect eyesight and
hearing I'd have a different response.

zhan-with Zhan's Creative Dictionary at her elbow.
Old 30-01-2004, 06:42 AM

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:26:19 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

How about the wild chile in the city, running wild and looking pretty?

That's spelled "chili", Taco belly.

Chile is the correct spelling for hot pepper.

Chili is an anglicized corruption to refer to a stew (that happens to
contain a lot of chile).

Roy - Carpe Noctem
Old 30-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Cereus-validus

My bad, chile beanie.

You go and tell those baby back rib people that they named their restaurants
wrong!!

Those corrupt Anglos running the country have been a bad influence on
everybody.

Are Jalapenos and Habaneros now considered weapons of mass destruction?

Old 30-01-2004, 04:10 PM

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:31:41 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Are Jalapenos and Habaneros now considered weapons of mass destruction?

Chile Petin (also Pekin) - the wild one. Mockingbirds love them. They
will repeatedly swoop down and eat one after another. Later, they will
sit on their perch with wings outspread and tongue sticking out -
enchilados.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

[IMG] code is On

Vegies from seed Brerfox Australia 6 21-06-2005 09:18 AM
Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 09:29 AM
How are the vegies, everyone? Chookie Australia 15 28-07-2004 10:47 PM
where did all those wild vegies go ? Michelle Texas 40 05-02-2004 03:02 PM
winter vegies Luke Australia 6 13-05-2003 02:32 PM