Old 01-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Elroy Willis

Default Freeze Proof Tomato?

David Hill wrote in rec.gardens

"...........Just put the seeds on a sheet of newspaper they will dry off in
a day or so, then either remove them or leave them and sow them on it
when you are ready.

That approach sounds a lot easier than all the fermenting
and cheesecloth stuff.

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
Old 01-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Elroy Willis

Cereus-validus wrote in rec.gardens

While researching freeze-resistant tomatoes, I ran across several
articles about the introduction of cold-water fish genes
into tomato plants. Whatever gene(s) that keep certain fish from
freezing can be taken out of the fish and introduced into different
plants like the tomato, to keep them from freezing, to a certain
degree.

Some people find such experimentation unacceptable or dangerous,
but I find it fascinating, actually.

That is botanically impossible, Poi sucker.

wrote in message

cross pollination with the cabbage family?????

Elroy Willis wrote:
I'm definitely gonna do that. What I'm curious about is what would
make the skin on this tomato impervious to cold? We've had at least
a dozen freezes around here, some of 'em even in the low 20's.

What could make the skin so freeze-proof, and I wonder if the
seeds will produce fruit with skin so thick it might be inedible or
something. I wonder if a freeze-resistant fruit skin will mean that
the leaves will also be more freeze-resistant?

I guess I'll have to wait till next winter to find out, but that'll
give me something to look forward to.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Ann

Elroy Willis expounded:

That approach sounds a lot easier than all the fermenting
and cheesecloth stuff.

It may be easier but not as effective. The purpose is to get rid of
the pulp, which is a bit of a germination inhibitor.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 01-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Janice

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:24:14 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

"...........You may get a good one like the one you saved, it's parents or
grandparents...you'll have to then save seed from those and cross back with
the parent.. and do that several generations in order to fix the traits you
like. ......."

Sounds good,....BUT........"Cross back to the parent"?.
have you forgotten that the parent tomato is dead and gone before you even
sow the seed, let alone have it there to cross back to.
You just have to have several seasons of selection with the hope that the
trait that you want doesn't die out.

Ok, I probably should have said parent Stock.. I was sleep typing. ;-)

You save seed from the "Freeze Proof Tomato" and plant some of that
seed (T1) and get an assortment of plants with varying qualities.
You choose the plant that has the qualities you want in fruit and
plant. Save seed from it (T2)

You plant the (T2) seed and get a bunch of plants and you choose the
best plant and fruit type from the resulting offspring.

In the mean time you plant some more (T1) seed. Choose a plant that
has the qualities you want.

Cross the chosen offspring from (T2) back to the (T1) offspring.

You can also choose to plant T1 seed and get an assortment of plants
with varying fruits, you can choose several plants of the sort you
want from that very first planting of saved seeds and choose immature
blossoms on those plants and isolate them from one another, and then
choose which plant is going to provide pollen and which shall be the
receptor.. on the receptor, remove all the male plant parts so they
cannot self pollinate. When the pollen ripens on the other flower,
pollinate the female and again isolate and mark that flower, so you
can save seed from the resultant fruits.

I guess there is line breeding and crossing back and all sorts of
techniques used to fix traits, but it all starts with a "parent
stock"... and that's what I meant,

I'm certainly not a plant breeder, but I'd like to learn more about
it, and intend to by a book .. can't remember the exact title at the
moment, I have a lousy memory, Breed your own vegetable varieties, or
plant varieties, something like that. It's always been of interest to
me, just haven't been able to pursue it yet.

Janice

Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Janice

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:51:57 GMT, Elroy Willis
wrote:

David Hill wrote in rec.gardens

"...........Just put the seeds on a sheet of newspaper they will dry off in
a day or so, then either remove them or leave them and sow them on it
when you are ready.

That approach sounds a lot easier than all the fermenting
and cheesecloth stuff.

yup but you don't get rid of the sprout inhibitor on the seed, nor the
advantage of killing off any disease spores etc. Tomatoes are pretty
stubborn growers though, so you might get them to grow anyway. ;-)

When I saw how all the places were saying to save the seed, I went
Gross! But every place I've seen instructions for saving the seed
have said to do the fermentation process. *sigh*

Janice

Old 02-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Salty Thumb

Elroy Willis wrote in
:

I'm definitely gonna do that. What I'm curious about is what would
make the skin on this tomato impervious to cold? We've had at least
a dozen freezes around here, some of 'em even in the low 20's.

maybe your tomato plant is descended from some mutant Nasa tomatoes

http://spaceresearch.nasa.gov/resear...ros/seeds.html
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 PM

yes, there are all kinds of cross kingdom recombinant DNA experiments going on AND
released. GMO .. genetically modified organisms are in most foods now in the US, but
unlike Europe, there is no requirement for labeling that they are or contain GMO
foods. The best documentary I have seen is Harvest of Fear
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/harvest/ from PBS. I use it in my class.
there are many uses for recombinant DNA where to benefits vastly outweigh the costs.
Modifying foods cross species or kingdoms is simply being done to put more money in
the pockets of a few industrial food producers with frankly enormous risk to the
environment and possibility of driving species to extinction.
One example is producing GM yams (a staple food in Africa) that is resistant to a
common pathogen resulting in stunting. All this sounds nice except that the key
nutrition for developing brains in humans has always been high protein foods, not
starchy carbohydrates. This appears to be the "missing link" in human evolution as
well. After outright malnutrition the worst cause of nutritional retardation is
protein deficient diets. So the GM yams makes it possible for everyone to have lots
of yams... all genetically identical and along comes another pathogen like the one
hit potatoes in Ireland and the whole crop bellies up and then everyone starves. The
reason the people are in trouble with their current yams is not enough genetically
diverse crops in the first place. they are basically practicing monoculture rather
than having many different kinds of plants so those that they can afford to lose most
of one crop without facing starvation. The worst problem in Africa (as it has always
been everywhere else) is war and dislocation.
potatoes were the primary starch and storage crop in my grandmothers village in
Yugoslavia. But my grandfather traveled all over Europe and brought different
varieties of potatoes back to the village and altho some potato varieties might have
succumbed to pathogens, not all did. GMO crops are monoculture. If GMO crops have
any reproductive edge they WILL drive the more highly diverse crops to extinction and
then the monoculture will succumb to the first lethal pathogen that comes along.
Ingrid

Elroy Willis wrote:
While researching freeze-resistant tomatoes, I ran across several
articles about the introduction of cold-water fish genes
into tomato plants. Whatever gene(s) that keep certain fish from
freezing can be taken out of the fish and introduced into different
plants like the tomato, to keep them from freezing, to a certain
degree.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com