Old 20-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Yngver

Default weeping pussy willow

I just bought a small (about two ft. tall) weeping pussy willow at Franks. From
what I've seen online, it seems these are created by grafting. The directions
say to keep it indoors until the weather gets warm and then it can be planted
or moved outside. Is there anything else I should know? Since it was made by
grafting the weeping branches to the trunk, will it get taller, or will the
branches just keep growing (I know these need to be pruned when they get too
long).
Old 21-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Yngver" wrote in message
I just bought a small (about two ft. tall) weeping pussy willow at Franks.

From
what I've seen online, it seems these are created by grafting. The

directions
say to keep it indoors until the weather gets warm and then it can be

planted
or moved outside. Is there anything else I should know? Since it was made

by
grafting the weeping branches to the trunk, will it get taller, or will

the
branches just keep growing (I know these need to be pruned when they get

too
long).

It will not get significantly taller. You may get some slight extension of
the rootstock, but generally, the point at which they attach the graft is as
tall as it (the rootstock) will get and the weeping portion will not grow
upward, but will continue to cascade down. These branches will of course
continue to grow. What you will have is a minature tree, most suitable to
container growth, but likely to get lost in the landscape unless planted in
a prominent location. Not sure if I'd personally want to feature such a
specimen myself, but you may have a different idea.

Grafted weeping willows are pretty common, usually a form of Salix caprea.
They are perfectly hardy little trees upto zone 6. If the tree was purchased
bare root (without any soil around it), it needs to receive some attention
immediately - those bare roots can dry out quickly and the tree will suffer
and very likely die. Soak the roots for a couple of hours in a bucket of
water and plant into a container. If it is already potted, then inside a
house is too warm and will force it to break dormancy - it needs a very cool
location until you can put it outside. If your soil is workable and you are
in an appropriate zone, I'd plant it outside ASAP.

pam - gardengal

Old 21-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Brian

All of the above advice is patently good. However willows will root readily
from cuttings taken now and can be trained to achieve a desired height. At
that height the terminal can be removed and it will weep from there.
Cuttings should be about 12" long and inserted in a moist nursery bed. Plant
out in permanent position the following winter. Worth a try.
Best Wishes.

Old 25-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Yngver

Pam - gardengal" wrote:

It will not get significantly taller. You may get some slight extension of
the rootstock, but generally, the point at which they attach the graft is as
tall as it (the rootstock) will get and the weeping portion will not grow
upward, but will continue to cascade down. These branches will of course
continue to grow. What you will have is a minature tree, most suitable to
container growth, but likely to get lost in the landscape unless planted in
a prominent location. Not sure if I'd personally want to feature such a
specimen myself, but you may have a different idea.

Thanks for the info. No, I plan to keep it in a pot or container. I have too
small a yard for a regular size pussy willow, but I will probably just set this
out on the patio during warm weather.

Grafted weeping willows are pretty common, usually a form of Salix caprea.
They are perfectly hardy little trees upto zone 6. If the tree was purchased
bare root (without any soil around it), it needs to receive some attention
immediately - those bare roots can dry out quickly and the tree will suffer
and very likely die. Soak the roots for a couple of hours in a bucket of
water and plant into a container. If it is already potted, then inside a
house is too warm and will force it to break dormancy - it needs a very cool
location until you can put it outside. If your soil is workable and you are
in an appropriate zone, I'd plant it outside ASAP.

No, I'm in zone 5. I was told at the garden center that this type of tree is
hothouse conditioned and couldn't survive the shock if it were planted outside
right now, but has to stay indoors until the weather is warm. It came in a pot
and I repotted it to a larger pot. When you say it will break dormancy
indoors--do you mean the catkins will flower? It already had catkins when I
bought it, and they are now flowering. Can't it survive indoors until spring? I
had assumed it would begin to leaf out after it was done flowering.

I guess that leads me to another question--does this type of pussy willow
require a period of cold weather dormancy next winter in order to have catkins
in the spring next year? I was not planning to leave it outside in a container
during the coldest months.
Old 27-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Yngver

escapee wrote:

Keep in mind that, when the air is 20 degrees, so is the soil in the
container.
To be safe, I'd do what you do, but raise it to 27 degrees. Anything below
that
can really damage the roots. Plants will go dormant at 35 degrees, too. I
have
plants in my greenhouse right now with the winter light and very warm days
and
they are dormant.

Look he

http://www.sws-wis.com/lifecycles/what.html

Okay, thanks. The plants I was thinking of are supposed to be hardy to 10
degrees, so I figured that since they are in containers, I should bring them in
by the time the temps were falling to 20 or so. I didn't know they would go
dormant at as much as 35. I'm not positive, but I thought my hakone grass (in a
container) didn't start to turn brown until it got below freezing. Of course,
I'm not sure hakone grass needs to go dormant either.
Old 27-02-2004, 08:46 PM
escapee

On 27 Feb 2004 16:10:48 GMT, ospam (Yngver) opined:

escapee
wrote:

[...]

Yes, but if it's 10 degrees outside, the soil will never get colder than 27
degrees. In a container, 20 degree air, is the same as the container temp. That
was my point.

[IMG] code is On

pruning weeping pussy willow tree kay beckett Gardening 3 16-09-2012 07:27 PM
Pussy willow help/advice please Cheryl Isaak Gardening 2 30-03-2009 02:31 PM
Weeping Pussy Willow Tree Jo Pesta Gardening 7 20-07-2008 04:55 PM
Pussy Willow starlia Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM