Old 07-03-2004, 08:32 PM
NAearthMOM

Default ground cherry "bushes"

I just ordered some seeds from seed savers. I ordered some cherry plant seeds
that are low to the ground. Anyone ever hear of these?

I also got some amaranth seeds. These will look amazing in the fall.

Btw, so far, we have some early crocus, one snowdrop (Where are the others?)
and one fly!

Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Old 10-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Frogleg

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:36:32 GMT, "M S Baker" wrote:

Where is you get them? They make one of the best pies you've ever eaten.

"NAearthMOM" wrote in message
I just ordered some seeds from seed savers. I ordered some cherry plant

seeds
that are low to the ground. Anyone ever hear of these?

'Ground cherriy' may be a scruffy Prunus (fruit tree), but they are
regular trees, not low to the ground. Gooseberries are Ribes, related
to currants. 'Ground cherry' is also a name for Cape Gooseberry, a
Physalis related, as someone else has posted, to tomatillos and
Chinese lantern.

Looking this up, I realize I didn't make full use of my Cape
Gooseberries (Physalis peruviana). One site says they're high in
pectin and make good jam, and can also be dried into 'raisins.'

They're fascinating little critters. I just ate them as they fell off
the plant (they continue to ripen after dropping, and get sweeter as
time goes on).

Old 10-03-2004, 01:32 AM
zxcvbob

Frogleg wrote:

[...]

Volunteer cape gooseberries saved my tomatillo crop last year. I didn't
know that tomatilloes were self-sterile; I thought they were fertile
like tomatoes. I only had 2 plants, raised from seeds harvested from the
same fruit. They bloomed for several weeks without setting any fruits,
and I was about to pull them up. Then the cape gooseberries that were
coming up everywhere started blooming, and the tomatilloes started to set.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 10-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Dataminder

I planted some last year from seeds I saved from a pint I got in
Quebec. They grow maybe a foot high and three wide and you can treat
them like tomatillos, to which they bear a visible if not botanical
resemblance. They keep forever when picked and add a lovely note to
green tomato relish.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Bonnie Punch

Volunteer cape gooseberries saved my tomatillo crop last year. I didn't
know that tomatilloes were self-sterile; I thought they were fertile
like tomatoes. I only had 2 plants, raised from seeds harvested from the
same fruit. They bloomed for several weeks without setting any fruits,
and I was about to pull them up. Then the cape gooseberries that were
coming up everywhere started blooming, and the tomatilloes started to set.

Are tomatillos really self sterile? I didn't know that. I know that the
first few weeks I won't get fruit to set unless I get out there with a
brush and hand pollinate. That seems to work fine - a bit labour
intensive though. At some point bees and other flying insects always
discover them and I can stop hand pollinating. I had been planning on
not growing ground cherries this year because I'm almost out of
tomatillo seeds and wanted to save their seed this year and I didn't
want to risk it crossing with the ground cherries. Maybe I should
reconsider - DH would mutiny if I didn't make salsa verde!

BP
Old 10-03-2004, 07:42 AM
zxcvbob

Bonnie Punch wrote:

[...]

Yes, they are self sterile and you need at least 2 plants to get any fruit.
It was a surprise to me too. It's possible that my 2 plants that were
siblings were compatable and it just took them a month or so to get started
once they were blooming, but it was quite a coincidence that they started
bearing a few days after then ground cherries started blooming.

BTW, did the dried guajillo peppers I sent you a year or two ago ever get
there, or were they lost/confiscated in the mail?

Best regards,
Bob
Old 10-03-2004, 08:34 AM
gregpresley

I'm sure the reference is to tomatillas, but there are also bush cherries (I
think they may sometimes be called Nanking cherries) that are used in cold
climates where regular cherries cannot be grown - such as the colder parts
of the upper midwest and great plains. I think they only grow to 8 feet tall
or less.