Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Martin Allaire

Default How to clean up soil from deicing salt ?

I am from Montreal canada...

I live in the city and the flower beds in the front of my house have
received salt from the upstairs tennant' staircase...

How can i make sure i neutralize that salt level before planting new
perrennials ?

My new tennant does not use salt anymore...

Martin

Old 08-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Warren

Martin Allaire wrote:
I am from Montreal canada...

I live in the city and the flower beds in the front of my house have
received salt from the upstairs tennant' staircase...

How can i make sure i neutralize that salt level before planting new
perrennials ?

My new tennant does not use salt anymore...

Salt is attracted to water. If you have well drained soil, it's hard to
imagine that the upstairs tenant could have used enough salt on a
walkway that the spring thaw and rains wouldn't take most of it away. If
they did, shovel the salt before the rains come.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 08-03-2004, 02:11 PM
escapee

If you have a lot of salts you can try to use activated charcoal. It removes a
lot of toxicity from most media it's used in. Watering a lot after you aerate
will also help.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:42:50 -0500, "Martin Allaire"
opined:

Old 08-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Phisherman

How does charcoal remove salt??? Flushing with fresh water seems to
be the best idea.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:59 PM
escapee

It absorbs it and makes it inert. Water works too, but with a lot of salt water
can bog the soil with the saline levels.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:48:11 GMT, Phisherman opined:

Old 09-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Frank Logullo

"Phisherman" wrote in message
How does charcoal remove salt??? Flushing with fresh water seems to
be the best idea.

As a chemist, I knew she was wrong. But, now I'm reminded of the idiot that
told my wife to put kitty litter on our icy walk.
Maybe some kitty litter is sand, however, this was clay and turned the walk
into a muddy mess. Now this moron recommends charcoal to absorb salt.
Activated carbon is really messy stuff ;(
Frank

Old 09-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Frank Logullo" wrote:

As a chemist, I knew she was wrong. But, now I'm reminded of the idiot that
told my wife to put kitty litter on our icy walk.
Maybe some kitty litter is sand, however, this was clay and turned the walk
into a muddy mess.

All kitty litter is clay. The advantage of clay is that it is not
abrasive like sand. Clay can be cleaned up. Abrasive damage can't. It
is a trade off. We like kitty litter and hate sand.

Now this moron recommends charcoal to absorb salt.
Activated carbon is really messy stuff ;(

European scientists must be morons also. In Europe, many rivers are
contaminated chemically rather than biologically. They use activated
charcoal (some of which is obtained from Anthracite Coal exported from
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania) to purify their drinking water.
Activated charcoal is no messier than wood ashes which do well in the
soil.

We have a Mahonia (Oregon Grape) that grows right next to the road and
gets salt dumped on it all winter. It thrives there. There may be some
other plants that tolerate salt also.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Philip Lewis

"Frank Logullo" writes:
I'm reminded of the idiot that told my wife to put kitty litter on
our icy walk.

Now this moron recommends charcoal to absorb salt.

you sure she isn't getting her advice from a door to door carpet
cleaner?

--
be safe.
flip