Old 15-03-2004, 11:42 PM
David Hill

Default Help Identify Climbing Vine

I would say the other is still Ivy, just a different variety .
They come in a wide variety of leaf shapes and sizes, I have one with leaves
growing to over 10 inches in width.
As a point of interest, If you want to grow an "Ivy Bush", then take
cuttings from the Ivy high up where it has changed from a climber to a
shrubby plant, these plants when rooted will keep the bushy habit and wont
revert to climbing

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Patrick Gillette

I found this picture once the vine was identified as English Ivy. Seems to
me they're both the same plant, no?

http://www.hort.agri.umn.edu/h5015/0...s/image007.gif

Old 16-03-2004, 02:12 AM

"Patrick Gillette" wrote in message news:UBn5c.16806$SR1.27721@attbi_s04...
Here's some pics I took today of the vine. It seems I might have 2 seperate
vine breeds on the tree.

http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00621.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00622.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00623.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00624.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00625.JPG

pic 625 is English Ivy

pic 624 may be Bittersweet. The bittersweet berries are bright red in
the fall with a darker brown shell that opens around them. If the
berries are old, or were frozen prior to openning, it could account
for the brown colcor now.

Old 16-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Cereus-validus

I am really disappointed. You got my hopes up for nothing. The vine has
absolutely no resemblance to either Dogwood nor Poison Ivy.

That's just plain old common "English Ivy" (Hedera helix) and nothing
special.

Old 16-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Tha's just the adult fruiting phase of English Ivy (Hedera helix). Still
nothing special.

"Patrick Gillette" wrote in message
Ok so most of it seems to be Hedera helix. But what about the other vine,

it
has different leaves and berries.

http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00624.JPG

Do I ahev to worry about the vines killing the trees? Thanks.

Old 16-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Yes it is the adult phase of Hedera helix. The berries have lasted past
their maturity and have begun to dry out.

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:48:39 GMT, "Patrick Gillette"
wrote:

Answered my own question. the 2 different leaves are 2 different life
stages of the ivy. As far as it killing the tree, it may or it may not.
Article he

http://www.detnews.com/2004/garden/0.../e08-75766.htm

The 2nd plant is *not* a different stage of ivy. Ivy doens't have
little acorn-shaped fruit/seed. Cereoid will eventually take a look at
the last picture in your series and tell us what it is.

Old 16-03-2004, 04:08 AM
Cereus-validus

Not Bittersweet. Both are Hedera helix, the juvenille and adult fruiting
phases.

Actually Bittersweet has yellow capsules that split open to reveal the seeds
with a fleshy red coat. Hedera helix has blackish berries.

m...

Old 16-03-2004, 04:24 AM
zhanataya

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:53:30 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Poor Judy.

It must have been a long time since she's had some dingleberry pie!!!

Good Grief Stephen. The definition of dingleberry must have changed
between your generation and mine.

zhan

[IMG] code is On

Climbing Vine removal Mike Gardening 7 06-12-2006 11:43 AM
Climbing Vine Identity broomhilda Gardening 8 15-03-2004 08:42 PM
Climbing Vine Identity broomhilda Gardening 0 15-03-2004 01:33 PM
Evergreen Climbing Vine GATR Texas 5 09-04-2003 07:08 PM
Help Identify a Rampant Mystery Vine? John McGaw Gardening 9 03-04-2003 08:20 PM