Old 19-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Josh Nikle

Default landscaping blueprints?

Does anyone know of anyplace on the Web that I could get blueprints
for landscaping? What I'm looking for is a picture of say a backyard,
and then a layout that tells me to plant this tree in this spot. Does
such a thing even exist? I love landscaped yards, but unfortunately I
wasn't blessed with the eye for it. Well, that, and I can count the
number of plants I can positively identify on two fingers… Thanks in
advance for any suggestions.
Old 19-03-2004, 07:02 PM
broomhilda

Hope you find such a place. In landscaping my place I just looked for
pictures and used them as a guide.

I wish gardening magazines would tell what plants are what in thepictures
they publish. Wrote and told that to Fine Gardening but don't they will or
not.

om...

Old 20-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Pam - gardengal

"broomhilda" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hope you find such a place. In landscaping my place I just looked for
pictures and used them as a guide.

I wish gardening magazines would tell what plants are what in thepictures
they publish. Wrote and told that to Fine Gardening but don't they will

or
not.

"Josh Nikle" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of anyplace on the Web that I could get blueprints
for landscaping? What I'm looking for is a picture of say a backyard,
and then a layout that tells me to plant this tree in this spot. Does
such a thing even exist? I love landscaped yards, but unfortunately I
wasn't blessed with the eye for it. Well, that, and I can count the
number of plants I can positively identify on two fingers. Thanks in
advance for any suggestions.

There is a bit more to landscape design than just superimposing a pre-done
design over your garden and following the plant list - that's perhaps why
there are not too many website that offer exactly what you are looking for.
Light conditions, soil and drainage, climate factors and plant suitability
all make it difficult to just plug in a plan and go. But, in response to
your request, here is a good source for a whole slew of landscape plans.
http://www.id-rather-be.com/landscap...ping_plans.htm

OTOH, there are dozens of excellent home landscaping books on the market
that will help you develop your own plan to the specifics of your yard. Some
even provide a rudimentary plant encylcopedia to help you with you choices.
Check to see what your library has available or search amazon.com for
suitable titles. Once you have worked out a plan of how you want you garden
to flow and what type of plant (tree, shrub, evergreen, etc.) you want
where, a visit to a good local nursery is in order to see what plants are
available and best suited to your area and conditions.

Another alternative is to hire a professional for a short consultation or to
develop a plan for you.

broomhilda, most of the photo layouts in garden mags are done with a just a
photographer and maybe an assistant - seldom a gardening 'expert' other than
homeowner is involved. Since only a few of likely dozens - maybe even
100's - of shots of a single garden ever get published and long after the
shoot at that, its remarkable any of them are labeled as to plants and with
any degree of accuracy. Certainly it seems unlikely that anyone on the
magazine staff is able to go back and examine each photo or contact the
homeowner and ID every plant included, even if they knew. Books or nursery
catalogs are going to be a much better source of picture ID than any
magazine.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-03-2004, 11:12 AM
C.Swartz

Josh Nikle ) wrote...
Does anyone know of anyplace on the Web that I could get blueprints
for landscaping? What I'm looking for is a picture of say a backyard,
and then a layout that tells me to plant this tree in this spot. Does
such a thing even exist? I love landscaped yards, but unfortunately I
wasn't blessed with the eye for it. Well, that, and I can count the
number of plants I can positively identify on two fingers=85 Thanks in
advance for any suggestions.
=20

Better Homes and Gardens has 27 such plans on their site.
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/category.jhtml?
categoryid=3D/templatedata/bhg/category/data/gardenplans.xml

Sorry for the long link. Copy and paste it if you can't click on it.

Have Fun!

-Chris
Old 20-03-2004, 11:18 AM
broomhilda

Thank you, but it seems that whoever writes the article should have a clue
as to what is planted in the gardens.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"broomhilda" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hope you find such a place. In landscaping my place I just looked for
pictures and used them as a guide.

I wish gardening magazines would tell what plants are what in

thepictures
they publish. Wrote and told that to Fine Gardening but don't they will

or
not.

om...

Old 22-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Josh Nikle

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the suggested links and see
if I can at least find something that I can take into a nursery or
something. I'm just so plant-stupid. Thanks again.

-Josh
Old 27-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Pam - gardengal" in

"broomhilda" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hope you find such a place. In landscaping my place I just looked
for pictures and used them as a guide.

I wish gardening magazines would tell what plants are what in
thepictures they publish. Wrote and told that to Fine Gardening but
don't they will

or
not.

"Josh Nikle" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of anyplace on the Web that I could get blueprints
for landscaping? What I'm looking for is a picture of say a
backyard, and then a layout that tells me to plant this tree in
this spot. Does such a thing even exist? I love landscaped yards,
but unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the eye for it.

Carry around a 25 ft measuring tape

Well,
that, and I can count the number of plants I can positively
identify on two fingers. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Act as curious as you are. Ask questions. You'll pick up the names and
other details. Meet fellow beginners in community college Hort classes.

There is a bit more to landscape design than just superimposing a
pre-done design over your garden and following the plant list - that's
perhaps why there are not too many website that offer exactly what you
are looking for. Light conditions, soil and drainage, climate factors
and plant suitability all make it difficult to just plug in a plan and
go.

and the shape of the areas is different in every site!

But, in response to your request, here is a good source for a
whole slew of landscape plans.
http://www.id-rather-be.com/landscap...ping_plans.htm

the site must have changed. It's now a link spam site.

One could begin with Google..
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ing+plans%2 2

[...]

Pics never capture the true colors and contrasts, etc. of real life
plants. Never.

Also, even the pics in magazines show a lot less dirt than you would see
IRL. Most nursery demo gardens are too frequently replanted (even
perennials and shrubs) and also have too much open space around each
plant.

Visiting REAL LIFE GARDENS is the best. Botanic gardens are best to see
uncommon plants in your climate, but plantings tend to resemble demo
gardens. Join an active enthusiastic gardening group, and see their
experiments and learn what they did. And look around where you live.
Bicycles are the best compromise in transport if the goal is speed,
mobility, and nearness to yards you are reconnoitering

or you could hire a local professional who's been working with plants
and/or homes for a couple of decades..

Old 27-03-2004, 08:04 AM
David Hill

"..........and I can count the number of plants I can positively
identify on two fingers .........."

Well that's Grass..........and errrrr emmmm Oh whets that other one?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"David Hill" in news:c43bqc$ho9$1
@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

"..........and I can count the number of plants I can positively
identify on two fingers .........."

Well that's Grass..........and errrrr emmmm

which grass? rye grass or bluegrass?

pampas grass?

Oh whets that other one?

pine tree!
Old 27-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"..........and I can count the number of plants I can positively
identify on two fingers .........."

Well that's Grass..........and errrrr emmmm Oh whets that other one?

Them's weeds, David.

Janet.

Old 27-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"David Hill" wrote:

"..........and I can count the number of plants I can positively
identify on two fingers .........."

When I moved to Pennsylvania, all conifers were called Pine trees except
Virginia Juniper. They were called cedar.

We have a white-flowered broad-leaf plant that is a nuisance plant along
highways we call bamboo. It is Japanese Knotweed.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 27-03-2004, 07:50 PM
David Hill

"............ We have a white-flowered broad-leaf plant that is a nuisance
plant along highways we call bamboo. It is Japanese Knotweed

In Wales its known as Gipsy Rhubarb

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries