Old 20-03-2004, 11:13 PM
§in§hinė

Default Weed/Flower id please...

I have a pest in my garden that I just can't seem to get rid of. I think
it's a weed but I'm really not sure. It has small yellow flowers, and when
you break off a stem, it bleeds this bright orange, sticky sap that stains
everything it touches. When I moved into my house last year, it was growing
in the very badly neglected garden. I pulled it all, thinking it was a
flower that I wasn't to crazy about and proceeded to plant my garden. Well
the darn thing came back with a vengeance. I can't seem to get it all and am
a bit leery of using herbicides. Does this pesky fellow sound familiar to
anyone? I'm in Oshawa, Ontario ( zone 5) if that helps at all.

thanx,
Shnarf

Old 20-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Brian

This is possibly Chelidonium majus {Greater Celandine} Poppy family
surprisingly. Formerly grown as a remedy for warts and sore eyes but would
have done more harm than good.
It can be a persistent weed. You might have to resort to weed-killers to
which it is sensitive.
Best Wishes
.cable.rogers.com...

Old 20-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Brian

This is possibly Chelidonium majus {Greater Celandine} Poppy family
surprisingly. Formerly grown as a remedy for warts and sore eyes but would
have done more harm than good.
It can be a persistent weed. You might have to resort to weed-killers to
which it is sensitive.
Best Wishes
.cable.rogers.com...

Old 20-03-2004, 11:14 PM
§in§hinė

"Brian" wrote in message
This is possibly Chelidonium majus {Greater Celandine} Poppy family
surprisingly. Formerly grown as a remedy for warts and sore eyes but would
have done more harm than good.
It can be a persistent weed. You might have to resort to weed-killers

which it is sensitive.
Best Wishes

I just did a search and found a pic. Yup that's the one. Thanx for your
help. Now my question is, if I got the weed killer route what type would be
the best to use? Bear in mind I don't know that much about them. I've never
used chemicals on my gardens before, other than Miracle Grow a few times a
season....

--
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.

Timothy Leary

Old 20-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Brian

Glad to have been of help. 'Roundup' is the very best though it is slow to
show results. They might need more than one dose and at monthly interval.
Follow instructions on the bottle with care. Those that survive will be few
and can be spot treated after you have made other plantings.
Best Wishes.
"§in§hinė" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

Old 22-03-2004, 04:54 AM
Janice

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:39:26 GMT, "§in§hinė"
wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
This is possibly Chelidonium majus {Greater Celandine} Poppy family
surprisingly. Formerly grown as a remedy for warts and sore eyes but would
have done more harm than good.
It can be a persistent weed. You might have to resort to weed-killers

which it is sensitive.
Best Wishes

I just did a search and found a pic. Yup that's the one. Thanx for your
help. Now my question is, if I got the weed killer route what type would be
the best to use? Bear in mind I don't know that much about them. I've never
used chemicals on my gardens before, other than Miracle Grow a few times a
season....

If you've already planted this year and so don't want to spray, you
could do straight concentrate painted on a few leaves of each plant.
I don't know if you have government supported agricultural research
stations there like we do.. County Agent connected with land grant
colleges here. You could always ask them if that was an option for
that plant.

My problem here is bind weed/strangling morning glory which my local
county agent said could be treated by painting individual leaves up
until if flowers, then it would not work well. Good luck!

Janice