Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Grandpa

Default Dahlias in Albuquerque

Before going to a garden center, I thought I'd query the wonderful
knowledge base in this forum.

I obtained a half dozen different dahlias from my mom in Seattle on a
recent trip and brought them back to Abq. These are ones she's grown
for years there but none have names so a detailed info is not available.
They grow beautifully there in sun and of course the humid climate. I
believe they are all of the large head (3"-9") varieties, no pompoms.

Mom said I should dig a hole 12" deep, plant the bulb(tuber) maybe 6"
deep and cover. As it sprouts to cover it more and more until its at
regular ground level. She's been growing them for over 50 years in the
same yard so this piece of advice is probably as sound as can be.

OK, so what do I need to do to grow them here?
- soil preparation, amendment
- full sun, partial sun or almost no sun

I was thinking peat moss and steer manure for prep. Also, almost no sun
since the summers are so hot and I have a place on the N side of the
house where the only direct sun is a few hours in the late evening,
shaded totally until maybe 6pm in summer. Mums thrive there and tulips
grow somewhat, no place else though, too hot. In the full sun we had
some Figaro varieties (very small dahlias) and they were spectacular, I
could almost hear them telling me thank you! These area different
variety though and I only have 6 to grow so I want to do it right.

TIA for all your help.
PS- library is out of books dealing with Dahliassigh......

[IMG] code is On

Albuquerque John S. DeBoo Gardening 0 01-06-2003 04:32 AM
Albuquerque ponders John Rutz Ponds 1 21-04-2003 01:08 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
best roses for Albuquerque, NM KATE KARON Roses 29 03-04-2003 03:32 PM
urban renewal (Was: best roses for Albuquerque, NM) Regina Roses 4 02-04-2003 03:08 AM