Old 26-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default Crape Myrtle

Are the previous year flower heads supposed to be cut off and when? Thanks

Old 26-03-2004, 12:43 AM
escapee

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:45:27 -0500, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"
opined:

Are the previous year flower heads supposed to be cut off and when? Thanks

You can, I don't do any pruning or deadheading other than to remove any crossing
branches or branches growing in toward the center and I have as many blossoms as
my neighbor who murders his.
Old 26-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Are the previous year flower heads supposed to be cut off and when?

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1009.htm

"Pruning in late winter or early spring will stimulate vigorous new
growth in the spring. Encourage a second bloom in summer by pruning
flowers immediately after they fade."

I don't prune mine because they're 30-40' tall. They bloom quite
respectably. Light pruning is fine, particularly to control crossing
limbs. Please don't commit Crape Murder -- 'pollarding' -- to produce
a lot of new growth on ugly stumps.
Old 27-03-2004, 05:32 PM
LFR

wrote:

Are the previous year flower heads supposed to be cut off and when?

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1009.htm

"Pruning in late winter or early spring will stimulate vigorous new
growth in the spring. Encourage a second bloom in summer by pruning
flowers immediately after they fade."

I don't prune mine because they're 30-40' tall. They bloom quite
respectably. Light pruning is fine, particularly to control crossing
limbs. Please don't commit Crape Murder -- 'pollarding' -- to produce
a lot of new growth on ugly stumps.

I have a Crepe Myrtle in my yard with about a dozen stems. I was advised by
my local garden center to trim back to an odd number (3 or 5). I certainly
hope that I don't end up with a lot of new shoots. My goal is to develop it
into a tree-like shrub. Being a transplanted New Englander to Virginia, I'm
learning about a lot of new flora.

A big hearty thanks to all of you regulars who post frequently.

Old 27-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Frogleg

"Frogleg" wrote

wrote:

Are the previous year flower heads supposed to be cut off and when?

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1009.htm

"Pruning in late winter or early spring will stimulate vigorous new
growth in the spring. Encourage a second bloom in summer by pruning
flowers immediately after they fade."

I have a Crepe Myrtle in my yard with about a dozen stems. I was advised by
my local garden center to trim back to an odd number (3 or 5). I certainly
hope that I don't end up with a lot of new shoots. My goal is to develop it
into a tree-like shrub. Being a transplanted New Englander to Virginia, I'm
learning about a lot of new flora.

Your garden center is correct, although I'm not certain of the magic
of an odd number. :-) My biggest tree has a single trunk that
branches at about 4'; another has 4 smaller 'main' stems. (in SE
Virginia). Crape Myrtles are famous for 'suckers' -- little shoots
that start at ground level or start branching from the trunk(s). It's
simple to just clip these off as they appear.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 04:32 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM