Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Lucy & Howard Albert

Default COMPOST IDEA - GOOD?

I've come up with a potential business idea to compost grass clippings and
leaves, using disposable plastic bags as the composting containers, rather
than composting stations.

The idea is to add a (secret) formula to compostable waste and turn it into
a useful garden material over several weeks of passive exterior storage,
without the exertion of rotating or emptying storage bins.

I think this approach would appeal to the un-diehard gardener.

Feel free to contact me at . I will also
monitor this ng for a while.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Lucy & Howard Albert

May I add that it is a "very special" and effective secret ingredient -
natural and organic, very fuzzy and friendly?
Would you use it? Probably. After all, you don't know all the ingredients in
motor oil, dishwasher detergent or cake icing.

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
Lucy & Howard Albert said:

The idea is to add a (secret) formula to compostable waste and turn it

into
a useful garden material

Hmm, a secret formula. Wnder what it is? You could add a nitrogen

source
to speed up composting, that works pretty well. Maybe urea, then you could

give
instructions "just p*** on it.

Would it sell? Maybe, but I know I would never use something where I

didn't
what was added to it.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
eclectic

I make it a point to know what I am ingesting if at all possible (we
make our own cake icing). Taking it one step farther, I want to
know in what environment my crops are growing. Your secret
"natural and organic, very fuzzy and friendly" ingredient has to be
accepted on trust - a commodity that has to be earned.

Many communities have incentive programs in place for people to
compost their kitchen and yard waste. Market your product to the
municipalities. If you can interest them, maybe others will take a
look.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Lucy & Howard Albert" contains
these words:

I've come up with a potential business idea to compost grass clippings and
leaves, using disposable plastic bags as the composting containers, rather
than composting stations.

The idea is to add a (secret) formula to compostable waste and turn it into
a useful garden material over several weeks of passive exterior storage,
without the exertion of rotating or emptying storage bins.

Bad.

Gardeners have been doing that ever since the plastic bag was
invented. What's more the "secret formula" isn't secret, and nobody can
produce it cheaper than we.

Janet.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
McQualude

"Lucy & Howard Albert" said:

The idea is to add a (secret) formula to compostable waste

Why does it have to be secret? There are thousands of successful products
that do not have 'secret' ingredients. I would say there are very few
products that depend on a 'secret' ingredient, most of them on late night
television.
--
McQualude
Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Lucy & Howard Albert

I came up with this idea decades ago and it uses many common household
materials. If I were to just post the "secret formula", it moves from
marketable idea to interesting idea.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Warren

Lucy & Howard Albert wrote:
I came up with this idea decades ago and it uses many common household
materials. If I were to just post the "secret formula", it moves from
marketable idea to interesting idea.

If that's the case, then your marketable idea is the "secret", not the
product.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Charles

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 13:59:13 -0400, "Lucy & Howard Albert"
wrote:

I've come up with a potential business idea to compost grass clippings and
leaves, using disposable plastic bags as the composting containers, rather
than composting stations.

The idea is to add a (secret) formula to compostable waste and turn it into
a useful garden material over several weeks of passive exterior storage,
without the exertion of rotating or emptying storage bins.

I think this approach would appeal to the un-diehard gardener.

Feel free to contact me at . I will also
monitor this ng for a while.

I've read that shredded newspaper is a good mix with grass clippings.
Grass has lots of nitrogen, needs some carbon for balanced.
--

- Charles
-
Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Warren

Lucy & Howard Albert wrote:

The idea is to add a (secret) formula

Your target market is no longer intelligent people. Your target market
is people who believe in magic, and have a poor understanding of what
compost is, and how it happens.

Now that's not to say you couldn't make a lot of money with your idea.
You just need to be aware that your target consumer isn't going to be
someone found at a garden center in the middle of the week, or someone
who reads this newsgroup. Your target is more likely to be someone who
buys marigolds at the supermarket in September.

I may buy chicken at KFC with their secret blend of 11 herbs and spices,
but if they told me that there were secret ingredient in the cole slaw,
I'd pass. The secret isn't so much what the herbs and spices are, but in
what proportions they're used, but secret ingredients in the cole slaw
is just plain scary.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
McQualude

"Lucy & Howard Albert" said:
The idea is to add a (secret) formula to compostable waste

Why does it have to be secret? There are thousands of successful
products that do not have 'secret' ingredients. I would say there
are very few products that depend on a 'secret' ingredient, most of
them on late night television.

Guess what... you could make your own glass cleaner at home but most
people don't.
--
McQualude

[IMG] code is On

ingenious idea, or terribly stupid idea? Bob Texas 6 10-03-2005 12:41 AM
COMPOST IDEA - GOOD? Lucy & Howard Albert Gardening 3 06-04-2004 08:50 PM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM