Old 02-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Brian

Default My redbud problem? ? ?

Japanese Knotweed is a very variable plant. In Japan it is no more than a
decorative plant frequently used in their gardens.
Outside of Japan control will patently vary. A large clump locally has
been cut to ground level at monthly intervals for about fifteen years and
still persists though with less vigour than originally.
In my daughter's garden we cut the stems to about 12" and filled the
hollow stems with agricultural strength Roundup. It decreased annually and
was gone after four years.
Best Wishes.
"Ann" wrote in message
expounded:

I am currently battling this persistent weed. If this is all you
have, get rid of it now, before its too late. I can't believe how
hard it is to kill. I do admit that I was a bit lax last year, but
I've learned my lesson. I'm starting early and will stay with it till
its gone.

The best way to kill it is to hit it with Roundup right as it flowers.
Then hit it again once more in 4-6 weeks. The following spring any
stragglers can be picked off with a third application. This is one of
the only plants I'll haul out the chemical guns for.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 02-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Ann

"Brian" expounded:

Japanese Knotweed is a very variable plant. In Japan it is no more than a
decorative plant frequently used in their gardens.
Outside of Japan control will patently vary. A large clump locally has
been cut to ground level at monthly intervals for about fifteen years and
still persists though with less vigour than originally.
In my daughter's garden we cut the stems to about 12" and filled the
hollow stems with agricultural strength Roundup. It decreased annually and
was gone after four years.

It is everywhere around here, hubby and I were just taking a ride over
in Scituate and I pointed it out along the road in many places. Fill
dirt frequently has roots in it, and so it goes.

Four years? I'd rather be rid of it in two! G
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

[IMG] code is On

redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?! KeybdWizrd Gardening 1 07-05-2003 05:08 AM
redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?! KeybdWizrd Gardening 3 02-05-2003 11:56 PM
Redbud tree in full sun ok? animaux Gardening 2 30-04-2003 12:20 AM
Redbud question spampot Gardening 4 20-04-2003 05:44 PM
Planting a Redbud? whit Texas 5 12-04-2003 08:20 PM