Old 07-05-2004, 07:02 AM

Default How to get rid of dandelions

It has nothing to do with being feeble or having more cents than sense.

It about wasting valuable time fighting a loosing battle.

The lawn company is not stupid, they put down a herbicide for the dandelions
along with a pre emergent to prevent the falling dandelion seeds from
germinating.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
Hound wrote in :

It has nothing to do with being feeble or having more cents than
sense.

It about wasting valuable time fighting a loosing battle.

If you let someone tell you what you are or are not capable of, you've
already lost.

The lawn company is not stupid, they put down a herbicide for the
dandelions along with a pre emergent to prevent the falling dandelion
seeds from germinating.

The point is: once you lay off the pre-emergent, the dormant seeds (which
were likely not blown in from your neighbor) will germinate and you're

back
to calling the lawn care company.

This is what I have experienced. We moved into a 7 year old house 8 years
ago. The previous owners had no interest in gardening and the entire
landscape was neglected. The lawn had a lot of weeds and crabgrass along
with bare spots. We moved in on March 1st, and I started with a turfbuilder
with a pre-emergent herbicide immediately. I followed this with the usual
post-emergent treatment. Insects and fungus weren't a problem so I skipped
the turfbuilders with insect control. For a few years I overseeded and top
dressed the lawn. Since the lawn has filled in nicely and the weeds and
crabgrass are gone, I stopped the pre-emergent and post-emergent treatments.
A weed will appear now and then, but they are easily controlled with spot
treatments. I don't think that discontinuing the application of herbicides
on a healthy lawn will necessarily result in an infestation of weeds. As
for the lawn care company - I can't imagine using one. I guess I'm just too
thrifty to pay someone for something that I can do with so little effort.

Old 09-05-2004, 05:02 AM

That OK by me, I know their number.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:06 AM
B & J

"gary davis" wrote in message
I have the same problem...not sure why...I have a novel way to get rid of
them. I practise my golf swing on them...an 8 iron seems to work the best.
Lots of dandelions=lots of practise...
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Sounds easy, but if you only knock off the green top without removing the
tap root, they'll resprout.

John

Old 18-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Michelle

Weed be Gone used to have the most sadistic comercials I loved them .
now they are kinda boring :-)
On Wed, 5 May 2004 19:44:50 -0700, "Ken"
wrote:

Use weed-b-gon

wrote in message
For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

Old 18-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Gloria Lenon

I'll send over my tortoise! That's her favorite food! I make sure that my
backyard is full of dandelions.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 21-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Salty Thumb

"Gloria Lenon" wrote in
.com:

I'll send over my tortoise! That's her favorite food! I make sure
that my backyard is full of dandelions.

It's a long walk out of Florida for a tortoise