Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Gloria

Default salvia question

I have some blue salvia, should I deadhead it? I've never grown salvia
before.

TIA,
Gloria

---

Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Do you know what kind of Blue Salvia it is? Has it bloomed so far this
year? I'm in 9a in Houston. Where are you? (you should see the salvias
here now. From now to frost, they are stellar)

http://www.celestialhabitats.com =

Gloria wrote:
=

I have some blue salvia, should I deadhead it? I've never grown salvia
before.
=

TIA,
Gloria

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Gloria

I'm in NE Alabama, zone 7. The salvia was in full bloom when I planted it
about 2 weeks ago, got it at Lowe's. There was no identification tag on it.
It's a nice size clump but most of the flower stalks are spent. I'm not
seeing much new growth, and the spent stalks are falling over so I was
wondering if I need to remove the spent flower stalks to encourage new
blooms. Thanks for the great link!

Gloria

--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Houston

---

Old 11-05-2004, 04:03 AM
J Kolenovsky

Absolutely, deadhead the spent stalks. Water moderately. Salvias are
generally water misers and love bright light.

http://www.californiagardens.com/Lists/salvias.htm
http://webs.lanset.com/pathline/salvias.htm
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/frames/n...enatur/pg6.htm

JK

=

Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 PM
mmarteen

I have another saliva question. I planted some victoria blue last
year and miraculously the survived a minnesota winter with a thick
covering of mulch (I mulched it only because I was mulching other
plants around it. My garden plan has changed somewhat this year and
now the salvia are near some roses which means that they will be
getting runoff from the roses that will be watered frequently. I know
Salvias are drought tolerant but will they do OK with regular
watering? Would moving them be a good idea?

mm

Old 12-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 9 May 2004 23:04:35 -0500, "Gloria"
wrote:

I have some blue salvia, should I deadhead it? I've never grown salvia
before.

Yes. Snipping off the spent flower stalks will encourage new growth.
Which reminds me, I need to do the same to my sage, although the
flowers are pretty.