Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Roy

Default Walkway trellis and climbing roses.

I am in the process of building the wife a wrought iron trellis over
the front walk so she can plant some climbing roses at it. The number
of roses is unreal in regards to Name and such. The trellis is 32" on
each side, and approx 7'3" to thr eave portion of the roof structure,
and spans 42" wide across the walk. Plan on planting one rose bush on
each side. So anyo0ne have any suggestions on what would be a good
rose to plant that is not a one time deal and continually blooms
throughout the season with the dark glossy leaves, in Red, Pink or
Yellow colors.......Would like a good fast growing type at least to
cover up some of the trellis as early as possible, but its not a sheer
necessity either. Area is a minimum of 8 hours sun, with the balance
partial shade/sun, in central Alabama. Freezing is usually not a
factor around this area. There is just so many to try and choose from
(in books anyhow) it boggles the mind, and then you can not usually
find those names when you visit a garden center..........

Just how far in front of the side panels of this trellis would you
plant a climbing rose anyhow........Would 6 to 8 inches be sufficient?
Soil is basically a sandy loam predominately sand, but will dig hole
of sufficient size so good potting or top soil can be added.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.